Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got sick of wondering about the top on the Solstice, so I made my own in photoshop. I'm not a professional photoshoper, so that explains why they look kind of fake. I think this top is doable, but it may require small changes in the deck lid from what we've seen of the deck. I also don't see how it could be a one handed operation from the front seat. I think you'll have to get out, pop the rear deck, put the top up, and then put the rear deck down. That's the price to pay for it to look cool. I think it's worth it.

A power top is a different story, but I don't think they'll do that on the 20k base. Maybe in an upgrade package. Anyhow, I have no idea what they're really going to do. This is just what I think they'll do. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Great job on those!

I think the top may require you to get out of the car. At least the test mules erquired someone to be outside of the car to open up the rear compartment. Some of the reviews said it took some folding too. I am sure they are trying to engineer it so its as easy to use as possible, but if I had to get out to pop it down that wouldn't be the end of the world. It would make doing it at a stop light a bit of a hassle, but nothing a quick dash into a parking lot wouldn't handle! :wink

·
Registered
275 Posts
The issue is the rear "buttresses" which I suspect are realy tensioners to keep the top tight (so it doesn't drum at speed). Will probably be levers on each side of the front to release the top from the windshield molding. Then you will need to release the end of the buttresses (possibly just pull from a catch), then open the hatch and fold everything back in.

Simplest top I ever saw (true one hand) was on a FIAT 124 Spyder but the rear attachments stayed in place and it had glass side windows to control the lowering arc. Jag XK was close but had to unhook the rear before stowing. Most complicated was the assembly kit with an MGA.

Hope it will be possible to lower the (glass) rear window with the top up. Even better would be to be able to lower the rear window just an inch for ventilation while parked (essential to preserve the interior in Florida).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
Hope it will be possible to lower the (glass) rear window with the top up. Even better would be to be able to lower the rear window just an inch for ventilation while parked (essential to preserve the interior in Florida).
This would be an awesome feature on the car. Especially if it takes some effort to put the top down all the way. I don't mind it taking a little bit of work getting it down, but having a trick window that rolled down independently would certainly make up for the added fuss.

Another benefit of having a window that worked independently is that it could be put up a little with the top down to act as a windscreen. I believe another convertable has a rear window that also can double as a windscreen, but I cannot remember the car right now.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The edmunds.com article says the top is a manual top. And just remember this is a clamshell trunk so it opens in the opposite direction. Depending on where the latch is for the trunk you might be able to open the trunk while sitting in the car. But that would only be possible if the top was down. AND once you get the top up then you'll still have to get out of the car to close the trunk. No matter what I'm betting the process will require you to get out of the car to put the top up or down.

Hopefully the latching process doens't take that long though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
The edmunds.com article says the top is a manual top. And just remember this is a clamshell trunk so it opens in the opposite direction. Depending on where the latch is for the trunk you might be able to open the trunk while sitting in the car. But that would only be possible if the top was down. AND once you get the top up then you'll still have to get out of the car to close the trunk. No matter what I'm betting the process will require you to get out of the car to put the top up or down.

Hopefully the latching process doens't take that long though.
I think the articles on the England test mules indicated the top had to be put down from outside of the car. Thats not too big of a deal, depending on the difficulty level of actually putting it down. Those articles also made the top sound like it was a little difficult to use, but they also stressed that they were far from the final version and GM was trying to simplify and fine tune the tops.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OADGETT said:
I hope that it will also be possible to raise the (glass) rear window without the top up for cockpit wind control. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
From the images of the car I don't think there's a raisable rear window like the Del Sol. There will more then likely be a leather/vynel top with either a glass or plastic rear window built into it that goes where the top goes. I'm betting it's either solid plastic or solid glass and not a plastic screen like the Miata. This helps explain why the top takes up two cubic feet in the trunk because it can't just roll up, it has to lay flat.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Think from one of the magazine articles they mentioned the rear panel is glass. Also, there's a rear defrost button visible on almost every pic of the interior - can't put a rear defrost on a vinyl window.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brentil said:
From the images of the car I don't think there's a raisable rear window like the Del Sol.
We really don't have all that much that shows anything about the rear window or top. The tops on the test mules I think were just quick rigs to keep the rain out in sunny Old England, and the show cars I doubt have any top at all.

You may be right, and the rear window might fold down into the trunk, but the oportunity to have a retractable rear window capable of being raised with the top down is definatly there. Whether they choose to do that, I don't know, but since they have sort of boxed themselves into having a vertical rear window anyhow, it would be a shame to pass up the chance for such a cool and unique feature for this roadster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
padgett said:
I presume that a rear glass window that goes down with the top up, could also go up with the top down. Would this help control wind currents in the cockpit? :thumbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember opperating the top of my Vette without getting out of the car. Took some doing but it is possible if you get the sequence correct, and the rear panel in the Vette hinges aft like the Solstice clamshell deck lid.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Popular Science article on the rapid prototype development had this picture of a top on the clay model. If the production one looks anything like that it should be alright.

The one in the photoshopped pics is too square. That doesn't flow at all and I hope it doesn't go that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts