Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In mid-October, 2017, it was observed that Solstice Coupe #926 went up for sale on Ebay. (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/looking-coupe-now-part-2-a-82386/index110.html#post2053833 ) The car is Mysterious/Black GXP with A/C and a manual transmission ( stick ). The car was noted having just 25 miles on it, and never being titled.

After some research by forum members, it was discovered that the car was located in Sea Girt, NJ at the T&T Coast Buick GMC dealership. The website of the dealership revealed that the asking price for the car was $59,935.

This car was first mentioned on the SolsticeForum in January 2010.
( http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/remaining-new-nj-pa-ny-coupes-1-30-10-a-61723/ )

Being curious, my wife and I took the 75 minute drive to the dealership to look at the car. ( My wife came because the ocean beach was just 3 miles from the dealership. How knows? I might have needed to ask permission to buy the car as well ! ) We drove in the convertible. ... a wonderful top-down day...

Upon arriving at the dealership, my wife and I were met by Kyle. ( It was hard to miss us. We came into the lot, which was covered in a sea of white, gray, and black cars, in our Mean/yellow Solstice. )

Kyle proceeded to tell me ( my wife walked away at this point ) all about the car. The car has been in climate controlled storage all this time. The car was checked out yearly. The key points of interest for me were 'never titled' and '25 miles'. I asked the question: "What is the in-service date of the car?" This is an important question for a 'never titled' car, at least in my mind. None of the sales guys could answer this question.

Shortly into our discussion, the dealership owner, Tom, joined our conversation. Eventually the discussion turned to prices. Tom felt that he would find a buyer for $59,935. This dealership is just 3 miles from the ocean. There are many multi-million dollar homes in the area and along the water. There is a yacht club a mile down the road as well. He felt that someone would want a new 'toy'.

Tom mentioned that he was not a sports car guy, so he decided to bring 926 onto the showroom floor to see whether or not it would sell. He didn't wish to continue paying for storage on a car that really did not hold his interest.

I did not ask about a soft top for the car, nor I did not mention the word 'convertible' in the Ebay ad as both of these items slipped my mind.

The car truly is in pristine shape.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
as you can see from these photos, being near the beach is a beautiful thing...

( yeah , that is my car on the left of the above photo )

If you are interested in this car, the contact information for the dealership , and Kyle are below:

Ebay listing as of this date:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Pontiac-Solstice-GXP-Convertible-/202084221031?hash=item2f0d288067:g:yWIAAOSwTO9Z5g3W&vxp=mtr

Dealership website ad for the car as of this date:
Pontiac Cars in Sea Girt | T&T Coast Buick GMC

:driving:

p.s. -- I am not connected to this car or the dealership in any manner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, the car has leather interior and air conditioning.

The car does not come with a soft top.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
I blew up the sticker to see the original price, and this thing has an original sticker of $33,385.

There are very few options other than the air and leather.

Still at $30,010 and 15 bids.

:confused:

·
Registered
345 Posts
My Coupe #912 has 2169 miles, is not a GXP but has been stored in a conditioned garage.
I hope to sell it in a few years for $40k
LJ

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
While the car is beautiful...I doubt he'll get anywhere near the $60k he seems to want or thinks it's worth. Only because anybody that knows these cars, nows that the minute they drive the car, it'll lose $20k in value.
Now, had I won the $740M lottery several weeks ago, I would have purchased this car in an instant. I probably would have been one of the largest coupe collectors in the world.

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
WOW how people outside of this forum love these discussions, no wonder the coupe which is really not worth anymore than the convertible see advertising prices this high.
Then when a coupe with less than 34K miles and a price of 18K is posted here, no attention or very little comments is given to it, as though the low price is a sin to the worshippers of the coupe.
Remember the coupe is nothing more than the convertible model with a hard top, that was the design from GM.
Why in the world you folks want to make it any different is beyond comprehension, and NO the low production numbers do not make it different from the original Solstice design.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
Not sure what in-service-date means. But according to GM the warranty date is 1/4/2010
In service date, if I understand the term, would be, usually, the date of the first sale to a Customer, or also the warranty date.

There seem to be an inordinate amount of Solstices and Skys that have a warranty date of 1/4/2010, which was the first business day of 2010.

As I recall . . . there was a mandate from GM that had to do with getting unsold vehicles off the manufacturers books, which had to do with the bankruptcy proceedings.

GM had previously offered dealerships $7000? per Pontiac vehicle to transfer unsold Pontiacs to the dealerships as "in use" or used vehicles, again, to get the unsold Pontiacs off of GM's books. I suspect the 1/4/2010 date was tied into this and/or the bankruptcy proceedings, in essence starting the warranty running on the unsold cars.

I really don't remember.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I wonder how many dealers have squirreled away a car thinking they will double their money in 10 years?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
yeah - reserve is $59k+
I know you said that the dealer thought it would sell for the $59.9k he is asking on the dealer site, are you sure that is his reserve price on eBay?

Too many coupe owners drinking the koolaid these days.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you said that the dealer thought it would sell for the $59.9k he is asking on the dealer site, are you sure that is his reserve price on eBay?...
yes, I am sure. Tom the dealership owner mentioned it during our conversation.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
yes, I am sure. Tom the dealership owner mentioned it during our conversation.
I will be quite amazed if it goes that high, but as we get closer to the end of the auction, it will be interesting to see what happens to the bidding. It looks like one of the bidders has dropped out at about $30K.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
236 Posts
At that price he will have to wait another eight to ten years.

Personally, I enjoy driving mine to much to ever consider selling it.

Just curious... Does anybody here know what's the highest price ever been paid for a couple?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just curious... Does anybody here know what's the highest price ever been paid for a couple?
I only know of an auto GXP being sold for 42k a few years ago, however, it was factory pristine, window sticker still on, no miles and a rare color (Mean Yellow).

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Don't forget about the two 2010s that have been for sale for years now. Both GXPs, both manuals, both currently $67,900. But the prices have fluctuated by several thousand dollars up and down through the years.
Moremusclecars - GM (bottom of page). BTW, 2010 production cars were assembled at the same time as the 09s production, and it was the 09s that were the last off the production assembly line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts