Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never heard of the Aisin transmission. Has it been used in other cars and if so how good is it. Is the clutch wet or dry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
I believe this is the first time this transmission has been used in a car. If it's been used elsewhere I've been unable to find any documentaiton saying so. Aisin makes some other GM transmissions along with the S2000 trany.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I believe one of the Aisin transmissions that GM is buying is the manual in the Colorado pickups. However, I have no idea whether it is related to the Sol's tranny, or whether the Sol will be getting something that is all new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
CTS uses a 6-speed manual Aisin.
Equinox uses an Aisin AF33-5 five speed automatic transmission.
Saturn ION until 2005 used an Aisin.
Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon use the Aisin MA5.

The Sostice uses the Aisin MW5, which we know is a 5-speed manual transmission, but the last time I looked Aisin didn't have any specifics on it yet on their site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
GNS said:
I never heard of the Aisin transmission. Has it been used in other cars and if so how good is it. Is the clutch wet or dry.
How many passanger cars use a wet clutch setup? I'm not calling you out or anything, I've just never heard of a wet clutch in a car with a standard "h-pattern" manual transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I think he's referring to the hydraulic clutch, lots of passengers cars use them.

Also, a version of the Aisin 5-speed is on the Ion and colorado, but I wonder if the actual ratios are all new for the Solstice. The pontiac press releases always refer to a "close-ratio" 5-spd, but the Ion redline suffers from a very tall set of gears (from what i've heard) and this limits the acceleration that the 205hp Ion could achieve if it had a better tranny.

Personally I have always wanted the Aisin 6-spd from the S2000, matched with a FI motor in the Solstice. (the Miata will have a 6-spd, GM needs to step up or else suffer negative press about it's trannies not meeting class standards.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
The rear end has a 3.91 ratio, but even so, according to the gear ratios published in Car And Driver, I figured the top gear redlines at 190 mph.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
I think he's referring to the hydraulic clutch, lots of passengers cars use them.

Also, a version of the Aisin 5-speed is on the Ion and colorado, but I wonder if the actual ratios are all new for the Solstice. The pontiac press releases always refer to a "close-ratio" 5-spd, but the Ion redline suffers from a very tall set of gears (from what i've heard) and this limits the acceleration that the 205hp Ion could achieve if it had a better tranny.

Personally I have always wanted the Aisin 6-spd from the S2000, matched with a FI motor in the Solstice. (the Miata will have a 6-spd, GM needs to step up or else suffer negative press about it's trannies not meeting class standards.)
The 5 speed manual in the Ion Redline is sourced from Saab, not Aisin. The Aisin is only in the base 2.2L ecotec cars.

As for the Redline transmission, the complaint has generally been with 2nd gear. However, not everyone seems to be in agreement that it is all that bad, or really has a very negative effect on acceleration. The Cobalt SS also uses the same powertrain, and I have not seen any complaints about the ratios in that car. Howver, I am not sure if GM changed the ratios for 2005 either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
I think he's referring to the hydraulic clutch, lots of passengers cars use them.

Ahh, well if that's the case. I'm thinking probably so. No reason it wouldn't have a hydraulic clutch. Though in looking through the pics, mechanical drawings, and cutaway drawings, I see no clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Nonetheless, I can't imagine it would have a cable-operated clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
If you look at the cut-away drawing you can see both the clutch MC and the fluid reservoir. Look right above the Goodyear on the tire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Nope, that's the brake master cylinder, and coolant overflow resorvior. Also you can see the filler neck for the windshield washer fluid.

Check out this pic to verify that it is the coolant overflow tank.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Your right about the overflow, I didn't notice the ghosted part of the tank.

But I still think that's the clutch MC and the MC fluid reservoir is probably shared with the brake reservoir. Many of the newer cars are going with the shared set-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
OK, I'll buy that. It's gotta be somewhere. Like I said, I can't imagine this car has anything but a hydraulic clutch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Someone mentioned that the S2000 uses the Aisin tranny. When Car and Driver tested the S2000 along with other sports cars in it’s class (Corvette, Lotus Elise, BMW etc.) they said “the S2000 is the best shifting car in the world”. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Nope, that's the brake master cylinder, and coolant overflow resorvior. Also you can see the filler neck for the windshield washer fluid.

Check out this pic to verify that it is the coolant overflow tank.

That is a very old image from before the car started showing up on the car show circuit. The following image is the most recent of the internals that you want to use to look for componenets.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=141&size=big&sort=2&cat=3030

Which shows the MC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
My nifty, just recently delivered 2006 Solstice Owner's Manual states that the clutch does not have a seperate reservoir, instead it shares with the brakes. Hopefully not an increase in MTBF (mean time betwwen failure . . . or more time before f***ups)

there is another thread about the owners manual . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
.....Personally I have always wanted the Aisin 6-spd from the S2000, matched with a FI motor in the Solstice. (the Miata will have a 6-spd, GM needs to step up or else suffer negative press about it's trannies not meeting class standards.)
The Ecotec in the Solstice will have a much beefier torque curve than the S2000. Given the right gear set it should not require a 6-speed box to achieve optimum acceleration. Too much shifting can actually slow you down. Also, at 0.81:1, the 6th gear in the S2000 is nothing more than a VERY tall overdrive cruising gear. I seriously doubt the engine in the S2000 has enough grunt to make good use of such a tall gear in any performance driving situation. But then, I could be all wrong.:D
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
The big demand for 6 speed manuals, 7 speed autos, etc, is partly due to the "more is better" way of thinking. Could they be better? Absolutely. Are they always better? Well, maybe and maybe not.

I don't think the Sol needs a 6 speed now, and I am hoping it has a broad enough torque curve that the F/I engine doesn't either. The best reason I can see for one is to keep the car in its powerband, if that powerband is small. Therefore, the smaller ratios are of benefit. Otherwise, its just extra work to row through the gears, or you just end up skipping gears all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Don't forget CAFE

Fformula88 said:
The big demand for 6 speed manuals, 7 speed autos, etc, is partly due to the "more is better" way of thinking. Could they be better? Absolutely. Are they always better? Well, maybe and maybe not.

I don't think the Sol needs a 6 speed now, and I am hoping it has a broad enough torque curve that the F/I engine doesn't either. The best reason I can see for one is to keep the car in its powerband, if that powerband is small. Therefore, the smaller ratios are of benefit. Otherwise, its just extra work to row through the gears, or you just end up skipping gears all the time.

But you can have 2 overdrives, increasing fuel mileage. I think that's why the manufacturers are using them in some cases. Don't forget about CAFE. You think the Corvette or f-bodies need a 6 speed? You're right about skipping gears. I find myself skipping gears all the time in my 93 Z28. Sometimes I skip the even gears, sometimes I skip the odd gears, including first. I like to do that when some idiot in a minivan tries to race from a stoplight. It levels the playing field, slightly.

I'm hoping for a 6-speed in the forced induction Solstice.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top