Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes.. I know this has been discussed, but it bothers the heck out of me. I've been making an effort to inspect other convertible tops, and nothing compares to the severe wrinkles of the sol's. Actually, I didn't notice ANY wrinkles in other convertibles, nonetheless major creases. It looks terrible at the point where the material meets the trunk lid. How could they let this slide? I think it's a major cosmetic flaw in the design. I'm surprised they didn't include a roll of duct tape with every car to tape it down when you wanted the top on.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
lupado said:
Yes.. I know this has been discussed, but it bothers the heck out of me. I've been making an effort to inspect other convertible tops, and nothing compares to the severe wrinkles of the sol's. Actually, I didn't notice ANY wrinkles in other convertibles, nonetheless major creases. It looks terrible at the point where the material meets the trunk lid. How could they let this slide? I think it's a major cosmetic flaw in the design. I'm surprised they didn't include a roll of duct tape with every car to tape it down when you wanted the top on.
Do you have a Solstice?

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are saying what I think you are King Arthur is right the slightest difference in roof size makes all the difference in how the top looks

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Have you seen any other convertable tops made the same way as the Solstice? By trhis I mean the neat wings on the back that hook on the trunk that give it the exceptional lines most tops do not have. Thye may have a few wrinkles but give the top the unique look it has. I will take the wrinkles any day compaired to having a blah top like the Miata.

·
Registered
819 Posts
lupado said:
Do I need to own one? I see it in every photo.
And every photo you have seen, except one taken by people on this forum, are generally pre-production cars. :)

The F1K people who have gotten their cars have responded to this type comment and said their cars have not had that problem, to speak of anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's in the production version, I saw it. But honestly, I don't see the big deal.

Tension for the top not only doesn't need to be in the buttresses, but shouldn't be there. The member of the frame right in front of the top is where the tension needs to be. From there the roof is secured at the bottom of the trunk and pulled over across the head peak to the headliner. The buttresses are there to stop the roof from looking like a Dodge Dakota convertible. If you were to add tension to the buttresses, you'd be asking for a tear (eventually) of the seam where the buttress extends from the rear window panel. (Actually it would occur primarily at the top where the buttress extends from the window panel at the ninety degree where the tension would be the greatest.)

As for not seeing problems with other tops, check out the new MX-5. I'll try to find a picture, but look for one with the top up in profile. Look at the upper corner of the window near the driver's head. What is up with that ugly wrinkle? Certainly in a worse place than the non-essential Solstice wrinkle.

Tony

·
Registered
288 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
The F1K people who have gotten their cars have responded to this type comment and said their cars have not had that problem, to speak of anyway.
I'm not sure where you heard that. I have stated before that my top has these wrinkles. One side isn't that bad, but the other side is very noticable.

It's not a matter of the top not being taut. The problem is that you are pulling material from 3 separate areas to be tightened down in one specific area. If the lengths of the 3 are not exactly equal then this is the result.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
That is not good...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not seeing a problem.
IMO -- It gives the car character.
I have shown my car to over 50 people (with top up and top down).
Not one of them said anything about any wrinkles. Most said they thought it looked very cool with the top up!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Primus said:
I'm not sure where you heard that. I have stated before that my top has these wrinkles. One side isn't that bad, but the other side is very noticable.

It's not a matter of the top not being taut. The problem is that you are pulling material from 3 separate areas to be tightened down in one specific area. If the lengths of the 3 are not exactly equal then this is the result.
Sorry, Primus! I missed that one. You would know MUCH better than I, since you can see yours first hand. :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Primus said:

Has anyone who has there car tried to adjust for the wrinkles using the velcro closure that runs along the upper seam of the buttress? I noticed this area on the two Solstices I've seen in person, and have wondered if you could adjust the tension on the fabric to reduce the wrinkles through the adjustment of the velcro closure along this seam.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Wow, this issue just won’t die, will it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do have to agree with Lupado on this one. The fit of the material on the buttresses, with the wrinkles/waves/whatever you want to call them looks like a quality error on the car. Yes I have seen it in person too.

Arguments: Price. Yes the car is a budget roadster. So is the Miata, and their top doesn’t have wrinkles, or long and complicated operation procedure. By appearance, it looks to me like Mazda spent a few more dollars refining their top and it shows. I know they operate somewhat differently and Mazda was no going for the appearance of the buttresses as GM was (if that is their only purpose) but still.

Appearance is another weak argument for accepting the wrinkles/waves without complaining. I agree that the buttresses, in theory, make the top look better while up than the typical convertible top. However, I also think this visual benefit is at least partially lost when the buttress is wavy/wrinkled making it look like it is not attached right or of low quality. It would be like the difference between adding a low profile, tasteful wing to the car that was painted to match and well integrated with the car vs installing a mismatched wing in primer gray to the back of your black Solstice. One would look good, well integrated, and of high quality. The other, although still an attempt to improve the look, will look cheap, half done, and needing help.

Top Operation. Even this has a limit. Lets assume the buttresses are at least partially needed for the way this top operates, to accommodate it’s complete disappearance in the trunk when the top is down. This creates a great looking rear deckled which is worth some extra hassle. Yet that doesn’t mean GM should be given a blank check to throw whatever they want on the car for a top. The top should still operate and appear as a quality item.

We all know the top is what it is for now, and people just need to take it and accept it or move on. Most of us here will accept it. Some may not care about it at all. Some may be slightly bothered by it. Others may really dislike it but will be willing to live with it to have the rest of the Sol’s positive attributes. However, at the end of the day, wouldn’t we all prefer those waves/wrinkles to get smoothed out to make this a top better? GM has some refinement work to do, and I would hope some goes into this top.

·
Registered
177 Posts
my RX7 keeps wrinkles for about 2 days after putting the top back up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Fformula88 said:
........long and complicated operation procedure.....
Just wanted to point out that I saw two people at the ride and drive put the top down i a Miata, an S2000, and a Sosltice..... Didn't take that much longer for the solstice, like 5 seconds. And the buttresses on #239 had wrinkles too. someone I know suggested after your first wash, let it dry in the sun, and the top will clam up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I found the top becomes smooth again once the top has been up for awhile and heats up from the sun. The design problem with the wings is how they fold up before storing. The spring loaded arms that goes straight back towards the rear of the top is what is causing the wrinkles to begin with. Had GM designed the wings to fold inward towards the center of the car, and provided my structural support to keep them flatter then the wrinkles would be very minimal. That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it :)

You can always have a smooth top with no wrinkles if you leave the top up all the time. :lol:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts