Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has been touched upon in a previous thread, but I don't remember any specific conversation about theft prevention. As any convertible can be easily entered, the only theft prevention I can think of is "the club" or some ignition device. Do these work?

Are there any after-market solutions that you know about? How successful do you think they are (if they exist)? Do you think some solution, probably a simple one, will be offered by Pontiac as an option?

It certainly will limit my use of the Solstice if I can not trust the human race from stealing what they must see as a very desirable, fun car. :skep

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The club, a hidden kill switch, and a decent car alarm with proximity warning are the only things I can think of.

Remember, most auto thefts are crimes of opportunity. Don't park it in an alley, or too far away from general parking (trade off with potential for door dings) - or avoid taking your baby anywhere where you have to leave it.

I've only had one car stolen from me, and it was a 1989 Chevy Cavalier RS. Don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense. It was recovered the next day, sans wheels and tires, broken window and broken steering column.

Had a friend that had a Dodge Shadow stolen. Go figure. Not exactly desirable cars.

At least it's not a Saturn SL (highest theft rate in 2003). :lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
solsticeman said:
The club, a hidden kill switch, and a decent car alarm with proximity warning are the only things I can think of.
I second the hidden kill switch. My friend has a '74 Camaro and he has a toggle switch hidden so the car will not start unless it's flipped first. Pretty good idea to keep your car from getting jacked.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is not much you can do to stop a determined knowledgable car theif, but how many of those people will really want to steal a 20k solstice when they can steal a corvette or other pricier cars. I agree with the above in that the best you can do is use the club, alarm, kill switch, and don't be stupid about where you park it. Additionally, I would not leave anything of any value in the car so that a casual car theif has no incentive to slash the top and take the valuables.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The kill switch and club should work. Don't have any faith in alarms though. I live in an urban area and people are so used to hearing alarms that NO ONE pays any attention. People accindentaly set them off all the time. Unless you are willing to remain within ear shot of your car, and are prepared to charge out at a moments notice and confront God knows what, I say they're a waste of money and a blight to urban living.

I know the club can be easily defeated, but it scares away joy riders and lazy thieves. Alot of thefts are of opportunity.

The kill switch will do the trick in keeping your car in place. Unfortunately the car will still suffer from a torn top or broken window, trashed ingnition lock, and if you use the Club, you may also suffer a broken stearing wheel, but the car will still be there. Once the thief cranks the starter and nothing happens, he will move on. They are not going to take the time to find the switch.

Most cars are stolen for their parts. The way it works is someone contacts one of those wrecking yards that advertize a "Hot Line" locator looking for say a left front fender for a '89 Sunbird. The junk yard guy then contacts his friend the locator, and he goes out into the city looking for an '89 Sunbird with at least a good left front fender. He steals the car in about 30 to 40 seconds and is on the way to a chop shop. There the fender, and any other easily removed untraceable part is yanked off and the rest is pushed into the street somewhere. All of this can take place within a coule of hours. The theif can steal several cars a night and make fair cash for something he loves to do. Theives love the addrenilan rush and the satisfaction of a job well done. That's why cars that you would think would never get stolen often do. Sometimes it's just for the wheels, stereo, or just a part the theif wants for their own car.

When more upscale cars, or newer cars are stolen, it can be for the parts, or more likely to be smuggled out of the country to Mexico and other countries with lax government. They put them in containers and ship out, just like any other commodity. The government in Mexico really doesn't care much about our car theft problem. My brother in law lived in Mexico for three years and he bought a '97 Ford Explorer down there real cheap that had obviously had been stolen, all the VIN numbers and EIN numbers had been removed. Their DMV didn't care. They registered it no questions asked.

My brother inlaw was thrilled with his great bargin. I personally cannot do that, I cannot support a corrupt industry. His rational was "Well, I'm sure somebodys insurance paid for it!". This is one reason insurance is so expensive. We Americans think of it as free money, as a way of sticking it to the greedy insurance companies, but trust me, they will always make a profit.

The other problem is lack of punishment in this country. I mean the most you'll do for a first offence is maybe a year. A second offence is maybe two years. If you're under age you probably won't even go to a real jail, and heaven forbid you catch a theif and shoot 'em. You'll do way more time than they do. The legal system has made grand theft auto very low risk and popular culture has made it into a video game! (It is a pretty fun game though!)

Anyhow sorry for the rant, I really didn't mean too. :leaving

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rant on, AeroDave! Rant on! In my case, you are preaching to the choir. :smile

Any way, what about On-Star or Lo-Jack?

Isn't On-Star an option for GM products that can trace a vehicle's whereabouts?

I could see it being part of an option package from GM...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Forgot about On-star. Good one. Forgot about this, but remembered I have an acquaintence whose Escalade got stolen around thansgiving last year around Royal Oak, MI.

OnStar and the police located the truck, or rather what was left (bye bye custom wheels, airbags(?!?), stereo) in about 45 minutes after he called it in. Luckily the truck was re-buildable - I think he's still driving it today.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Now that I think about it alarms really are worthless. My neighbor has one on each of his cars and every time there is a good thunderstorm the concussion from the thunder sets off the alarm. I agree with Aerodave, alarms are more of a nuisance than of practical use. With the money involved in getting a decent alarm you could most likely have a kill switch installed.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
visable deterents like alarm stickers and the club only work if the theif is lazy or in a hurry. if you want to steal something from a locker, are going to go for the one with no lock or the one with a lock? you can get into either of them easily, but most likely you will go after the unlocked. so, alarms arent worthless. they will scare off the amateur. the same thing for the club. all it does is say "it will take you a lil longer to get this car than the one down the street."

btw, the club is a joke. it can be defeated in about 10 seconds w/o a hacksaw/bolt cutters/etc. and no, im not gonna help any ignorant thieves who might read this by telling how. :D

a kill switch isnt a bad idea, just like the above. but, its certainly wont keep your car safe.

the best thing you can do is make sure you have a low deductible and rental coverage.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think the best thing to do is make the car appear to be less desireable for a thief to steal than it would be for him to simply find another car.

Most thefts are either joy rides, or people taking the car to later steal the wheels, or radio, or other minor items. At least around here, there are no major chop shop rings, and nearly all cars are recovered minus wheels and some other odds and ends.

A club could be affective if the thief isn't really prepared for it, and many minor thiefs are not. Since most people are no longer using clubs, a thief is likely to move on to another car that would be easier to steal.

Factory alarms can help too, since they are not so easy to locate and defeat. Things like the embedded keys and newer steering colum designs help, as they take a little longer to defeat. Its easier to go find a mid 90's Honda that will start simply by busting the ignition lock with a screwdriver, than defeating a newer engine immobilizer system. So simply by being a modern car should help some.

In the end, there is not much anyone can do to make their car theft proof. If someone really wants to steal it, they will. But a combination of theft deterrants, and being smart about where the car is left and how long it is left there can really reduce chances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts