Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really starting to get old. I feel like my Fiero has been re-incarnated into my Solstice. This car has been problem after constant problem. I've noticed lately that my car has been running a little cooler then usual. Going as low as 194 degrees and only getting as hot as 201. Something I wasn't too concerned about because I figured it was my tune doing it's job...turning the fan on at 196, medium at 198 and full at 199. Well, this morning on the way to work I realized it's my thermostat. My car wouldn't get over 198 and got as chilly as 186 during coasting (DFCO). So I would assume that it's my thermostat. I've been on the fence about what I want to do with my car...keep it or sell it. This might just make up my mind for me. I was all set to redo the door panels this winter and the seats....and put a new timing chain on it, but I might just off it now. I'm tired of every month something else is wrong with it. All I can come up with is that the PO didn't take care of the car. I realize a thermostat is a maintenance item, but I've had so many other issues, my perma-grin is starting to turn upside down.... :(

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You sure it's the thermostat? If it was stuck closed, the engine would overheat. If it were stuck open, the engine might well take a while to get up to temperature from cold, but it would do it eventually.

Sounds to me like you car may just be running cool(?)

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Ghost my car normally runs in the 195 to 200 range depending on the conditions I think you're running normal especially if the car is not overheating and here in Ohio it's not been as hot as last year .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had multiple thermostats fail on me, always failing open. It would take an excessive time to warm up to operating temp, and when cool out the temp would often never go above 165. Also, the computer was good at detecting this before I disabled the ability, as it would throw a check engine light and give a --- reading on the dic. Now, what it could be is a slight failure of one of the rubber gaskets on the thermostat, keeping it from closing fully. If that's the case, it will most likely get worse, but luckily will not harm the car as our thermostats always fail open.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've had a few thermostats go bad in my life. Many start out the way this one has. I had a Laser RS (turbo Eclipse) that started this way, then it went complete opposite and full stuck. I got the temp light, just as it flicker the Tstat opened and it quickly cooled off. I normally run 198 degrees...steady. So I think it's starting to go. I just don't want it to freeze shut. I don't care if it stays open, that's not as bad as freezing shut!

On a side note, I must admit, my car runs a lot cooler now that I have a new HPFP. I'm wondering if I wasn't a bit too lean before and now I'm a bit rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts