Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone point me to the location of this?
I just flushed my system thinking maybe i had a air pocket in the system and filled her back up took her for a ride and im still getting 240 temps.

Just purchased a new thermostat and hopefully this will do the trick.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's on the back of the engine near the firewall. Just following the coolant hoses.

Make sure to install the 2 check valves in the 2 coolant lines . . . one at the top of the radiator, the other on top of the engine. They will help to get the air out, and to keep the air out.

I elevated my expansion tank, and ran the engine, raising the rpms a little to increase the water pump speed, and that got all the air out for me with the 2 check valves newly installed. I used to be around 240, after the check valves, new Dexcool, and the elevated expansion tank with raised rpms, I'm now around 190 consistently.

Still have a pic readily available:

The t-stat is inside the housing in the middle of the picture with rubber hoses coming off it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You need to Burp your water system to get out all the air bubbles. A search will get that for you.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You need to Burp your water system to get out all the air bubbles. A search will get that for you.
When I tried it, it seemed to be working, but slowly. I found elevating the expansion tank so that it was higher than the point where you install the check valve on top of the engine, and raising rpms to like 2000-2500rpm was the quickest way to get the air out. You could literally see air being blown out with coolant into the expansion thank when I'd raise the rpms.

But yes, the burping method should work.

And again, if you don't have the check valves, get them and install them when you do the new t-stat.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would Burp first. Then you might not need to change the ThermoStat out. As you can see it is not in a very good place.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much do check valves cost and where can i get them?
I obviously do not want to take her into the dealership as my mods void warranty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive also done the burping method and it helped some but not much.
when i filled the cooling system back up i had the tank raised out of the car

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would Burp first. Then you might not need to change the ThermoStat out. As you can see it is not in a very good place.
Burping doesn't hurt, but as others have mentioned, raising the expansion tank seems to be more effective.

how much do check valves cost and where can i get them?
I obviously do not want to take her into the dealership as my mods void warranty.
I paid less than $8 each, for 2 of them. I got mine from crate engine depot. Love 'em, great prices, and ship to Canada without issue, and obviously to the US. The dealership isn't a bad place to get them either, just probably more though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i burped it and it actually got worse....just purchased the new check valves today. i will hopefully get them installed late next week after they arrive.

For the elavated expansion tank. All you do is lift that as high as possible and give it a hand job to burp the system?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so they should be here thursday and hopefully i can get them installed before work friday. I read the bulletin and think the install shouldn't be too bad. I have read that people said the tank and raise rpms to 2500 or so to clear air. This seems a little confusing to me. Do I just raise the tank and step on the gas some or is their more to this process?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts