Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to my dealer and he told me he is sending his salesman to Alameda, CA on Tuesday to drive the Solstice!! Somebody go and take pictures, I am on vacation and I can't go, but I would love to see them.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
heintz said:
Called my local dealer in San Jose and he says it is for dealers only.
That's what all the dealers must say. The R&Ds are being held on public property, so you cannot be stopped from visiting on your own, but take into consideration that it IS a GM event, meant for the dealers. There has been someone from the forum at most of these meetings, but they do it on their own and are resepctful of the event. A number of pictures and test drives have come out of some of these R&Ds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just spoke with my dealer, such a nice guy. He said it is at Alameda Point, they are leaving at 8:30 and it should go to 5:00...he did tell me it is for dealers/sales staff only, they show ID and are checked in against a master list. When I asked the possibility of getting in his response was you never know...

Just in case you didn't know Alameda Point is the old Naval Air Station and probably the only place big enough on the island to hold this.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
fabfourqueen said:
Just in case you didn't know Alameda Point is the old Naval Air Station and probably the only place big enough on the island to hold this.
That is an awsome location for this event! They can easily explore the performance envelope of the Solstice on the old runways and taxiways out there! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Once agaibn I told the dealer information about his car

I just got off the phone with my local dealer. Alameda is a drive from us, but not undoable. Anyway once again I provided him information about his car. He had no idea that Pontiac was going to be in Alameda.

Do you guys have any information on this? Any dealers out there know where he can get information from GM? He was going to start checking into it but since he knows nada about the car I have my doubts whether or not he even knows where to look or who to ask.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Once again I told the dealer information about his car

I just got off the phone with my local dealer. Alameda is a drive from us, but not undoable. Anyway once again I provided him information about his car. He had no idea that Pontiac was going to be in Alameda.

Do you guys have any information on this? Any dealers out there know where he can get information from GM? He was going to start checking into it but since he knows nada about the car I have my doubts whether or not he even knows where to look or who to ask.

Bob

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just got back from the ride and drive over at the Alameda Naval Air Station. I took pictures, but I can't post them until tonight when I get home. There were lots of Solsti there in all the colors and interiors. They had two Solstice events for the dealers to participate in. One was a closed orange cone course where they had two Solstices with a NB Miata and a Honda S2k. The other was an organized convoy tour of the streets around the base. They were also doing the same with the new Torrent.

My impressions form my first contact with the Solstice (I really thought I would first see it at the dealer when I picked mine up!):

Nice exhaust note, although could be more aggresive at idle.

The Pure white is under rated.

Much cooler than the Miata or S2k (maybe a bias)

They are going to take heat in the press for interior plastics. (kind of cheap feeling and looking, but hey, MSRP 19,999 including Destination!)

The Solstice seems to recover naturally when sideways (I wish I had a picture of this!) and stops very straight in hard braking. Yes some of the dealers couldn't help themselves and broke the rules.

The Solstice seems to have more usable torque than either the Miata or S2k. The closed course started with a long straightaway that the drivers started from a dead stop. Almost universally everyone was chirping the tires in the Solstice during first to second shift, and I never heard anyone do the same with the Honda or Mazda, which lead me to believe that the Mazda may be challenged at doing this and the Honda just doesn't have this kind of torque down where the average car salesman (and therefore American) is used to driving. The S2k was definately more powerful though. The Solstice was quicker initialy, but once the S2k got into it's valve timing a little you could tell it was really starting to make power.

Solstice is going to crush S2000 sales and deeply cut into MX5 sales. I predict Honda will soon cancel the S2000 and Mazda is going to be very dissapointed and start work on a redesign sooner than expected.

The best qoute of the day was from a spectator like me talking to the factory rep who said "When I first saw it, I thought it must be the new Z5!" BMW wishes. I think that says it all. Home run for Pontiac! :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aero Dave, do you know if this was just for today or will they be there tommorrow also? Tried and tried but couldn't escape the office today. Also did you have a hard time getting in?

Thanks.

·
5,600 Posts
Thanks to ggiddyupp & Fabfourqueen I went to the former NAS Alameda and found the location. Unfortunately, they were done for the day. But I met the building manager, who said the event would continue tomorrow as well, so I'm going to go by at lunch time and check it out. The cars were all parked in the garage and looked terrific. This car is gorgeous and can pull off being painted in any color. I was really impressed with the deep, deep blue color and can't wait to see it in sunlight. Green looked great as well. The red seemed to be a rather uninspired shade. Maybe it looks better outside.

I can't wait to see them burning up the circuit tomorrow. And many thanks to the Building Manager for not kicking me out when he caught me inside the building, and then taking me to see the Sol's stored in the garage.

It is going to be sooooooo hard waiting for my 2007 GXP! :willy:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
fabfourqueen said:
Aero Dave, do you know if this was just for today or will they be there tommorrow also? Tried and tried but couldn't escape the office today. Also did you have a hard time getting in?

Thanks.
No, you won't have any trouble getting over to the cars. It's kind of remote, so there's not alot of spectators and therefore they're not all locked down with security. I told the factory guy I was a EOP buyer and he was happy to talk to me and even introduced me to the participating dealer folks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for the pics of 'pure' I havent seen many yet. I wish I kept up with the forum better, I would have made it out there. Any chance you have a pic of pure from the back so we can see the contrast of the taillights on the white?

-pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
I talked to my dealer yesterday afternoon....

yesterday they told me there is an event Saturday that is open to the public. Any mention of that up there yesterday? If anyone is going today can you please ask about Saturday?

Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts