Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my dealer the following to do or not to do upon arrival of my Solstice.

Let me know when the car is coming in so I can be there when it is still on the truck. I want to photograph it.

Don't let anyone drive it.

Don't put the front license plate bracket on the car

Don't wax the car.

I will remind the sales manager and service manager when time gets near.

Is there anything else that should be added?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't put a dealer badge/sticker on the car.

That's a good list. I always add: Don't put a dealer badge/sticker on the car.

Most dealers don't mind, as I keep the dealer license plate bracket on.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
All good points. But the main thing I want to tell my dealer when my Solstice arrives is CALL ME IMMEDIATELY! :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
giranda said:
That's a good list. I always add: Don't put a dealer badge/sticker on the car.

Most dealers don't mind, as I keep the dealer license plate bracket on.
:thumbs: Definately not to put their dealer sticker on it! No way!

Your too kind too. The first thing I remove from a new car is the dealer sticker, the second is their plate frame.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sounds like a good list ateam, I may write down same and give to my dealer when delivery nears (too early now).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'd emphasize "ABSOLUTELY NOBODY BUT YOU IS TO DRIVE THIS CAR EXCEPT FOR THE GUY WHO REMOVES IT FROM THE TRUCK AFTER YOU'VE TAKEN PICTURES OF IT."

And, look at the mileage on the odo - should be no more than 7 miles unless it had to be repaired at the plant, then it MAY have as much as 45 miles - but this is not likely.

Not to make you paranoid, but I had a friend that was supposed to pay $2200 negotiated over sticker (I told him he was crazy) for a "first-on-the-block" PT Cruiser. It came with over 116 miles, yet it was SUPPOSED to have been shipped directly from the factory. Turns out the Serv.Mgr., three sales people, the Dealer owner AND his wife all took turns driving it. :brentil:

He ended up paying only $250 over sticker after he got them to admit it.

I know it is a rare horror story, but also there is a high desire for many people to drive this car, prolly higher desire than the PT Cruiser. The temptation may be too much - and I would talk to him about charging $500/mile for every mile over what the odo says when it arrives on the truck.

Then again, you may have a great relationship with your dealer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. It may emphasize to your dealer how much you want to be the one to break in the new car smell.

Oh, and make sure they set your tire pressures to placard pressure!!! :thumbs:

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Let me know when the car is coming in so I can be there when it is still on the truck. I want to photograph it.
The system is not set up to give dealers any advance notice of the day never mind the time that a delivery will arrive. The system will give an estimated due date at the dealership. But to show you how strict it is, GM allows up to 10 days after the due date before the car is considered late in transit. Many parts of the country also have deliveries 24/7. In fact I was driving past our dealership last night and the truck was there after 10PM dropping off 3 cars. Also there is nothing in the rules that would allow us to hold up a driver from unloading a car.

I would hope you live very, very close to the dealership. If you really want pictures of the car on the truck, and it is not uncommon. Best bet may be to leave the dealership a camera to take them for you. And there are drivers who do not like pictures being taken while they unload.

ateam_77 said:
Pontiac does require a prep test drive be preformed by the dealership of several miles before delivery. There may even be state DMV requirements.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Pontiac does require a prep test drive be preformed by the dealership of several miles before delivery. There may even be state DMV requirements.
Don't doubt you on this, but the last 2 cars I purchased have had:

Ford Focus: .8 mile (odometer read 000001, trip read 000.8) they called me day it was delivered and the dealer said they unloaded into a spot and there it sat until I got there. After dealer prep, and filling it up with gas, 3.2 miles.

Olds Alero 1.6 miles, already prepped by dealer, after fuel 5.6!, I think the porter had a little drive.

I have gotten arguments from dealers about putting on the front license plate bracket here in Ohio, but a quick, "I will not buy the car with a front bracket" does just fine. ;)

Also about the dealer emblem, my friend purchased a Nissan mamima at Ricart in Columbus, their emblems are HUGE, literally 7-8 inches long and 2 inches high, big plastic thing, hideous. (anyone around Columbus knows who Ricart is, largest ford dealer in the country, they have their own traffic light and gas station!) He told them not to put it on and the sales person said "No Problem!" but guess what, there it was. :brentil: He was pissed, actually got a free "car care system" thrown in because they would NOT take it off the car. 30 min later we were at home and sitting there with a blow dryer getting that damn thing off! (it did come right off though...)

Be strict, let them know you will walk away, and they will pretty much do anything in their power to keep you happy.

·
5,641 Posts
In our state the Motor Vehicle Purchase Contracts have a specific box that says:

"This contract is not binding upon either the dealer or purchaser until the following conditions are met:
1) The contract is signed by dealer or his/her authorized representative;
2) Other:
3) Other:"

Would not be uncalled for to have these types of items (dealer id, plate frame, plate bracket not on the front, .....) added to your P&S.

But definately follow up with the dealer after the car has been shipped to make sure things go your way. You could even ask the dealer what their new car receiving procedures are to identify where things could go off plan. Example, cars may come off the truck and go right to a prep guy/gal who removes shipping materials, places the stock number on the car, and installs the front bracket/ dealer ids. (Perhaps a pizza and drink of their choice to the prep department is in order? ;) :) )

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm just a pontiac salesman, but I would bet the first 1000 will be treated like gold...they cannot be replaced!!

As a salesman, I will ask to sit in the new one, but for reasons stated above, I would be chicken even to park it. Can you imagine being the guy to dent the first 1000 solstice :brentil:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
EmmoJoJo said:
I always tell my dealer to remove the price sticker in a way that preserves the document. I have saved all my stickers for the past 33 years.
On a fresh arrival off the truck the window sticker is still in the trunk. If the car was ordered in reatailed the sticker will be pristine as it will not have been installed by the dealer yet. They are not factory installed.

As far as arrival, I've seen the trucks offloading at 2 in the morning on a Sunday. The crew will show up at 7 am Monday to see a whole truckload of cars blocking the entrance to service. (they stick the keys and paperwork in the mail slot, and take off, no dealer contact required)

PA state inspection law requires a road test but it may or may not actually happen on new.

Imperial (remember) in their attempts to highlight quality in the 70's put 50 miles or so on each and every car before they left the factory to make sure all the nuts and bolts were still attached and would proudly display a sticker to that effect.

To ensure paint warranty the dealer may be required to have their shop personnel remove the shipping glaze or paper or other protection.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Or else what?

I would be pissed if I went to pick up my car and it already had 100kms on it or even 50. but what can I do? I mean I plan on telling my dealer to not let anyone drive it but what if they do? I'm not going to say "Well i'm not going to buy it unless you give me a discount" because I've waited all this time for the car and I do want it! I feel link the dealer wouldn't care what I wanted because they know they can get rid of the car at a drop of a hat.

I guess i'm saying why do you guys think the dealer owes you anything when a car like this can be sold to anyone. If you don't like the amout of kms on it when you goto pick it up then oh well then i'm sure there is someone who does.

·
5,641 Posts
Lots of useless info about window stickers

achieftain said:
On a fresh arrival off the truck the window sticker is still in the trunk. If the car was ordered in reatailed the sticker will be pristine as it will not have been installed by the dealer yet. They are not factory installed.
All Pontiacs currently come from the factory with the window sticker on the car. Even when last offered, the Firebird Convertibles came with them. They also come with a consumer infomation label. Until we see the first one, I would assume that the Solstice will be the same. Dealers are not to display or offer for sale a car that the window sticker hasn't been applied to. And in fact the sticker is suppose to be there when the customer takes delivery. Not sure any one does that though.

For the last several years the window sticker has been a paper label with an over sized adhesive backing. So about 1/2" top and bottom hold the window sticker to the window. Usually the can be removed with out damaging the printed paper portions with the infomation, if done with the smallest amout of care.

For those that want a pristine copy of the window sticker. Ask you dealer to request a duplicate before he reports the car delivered (dealer inside secret, sorry Pontiac). But it must be done before the car is reported delivered or the system will not prepare one. Will come in a full size envelope ready to be place on a window or in a dispaly for your future cars show.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Or else what?

I would be pissed if I went to pick up my car and it already had 100kms on it or even 50. but what can I do? I mean I plan on telling my dealer to not let anyone drive it but what if they do? I'm not going to say "Well i'm not going to buy it unless you give me a discount" because I've waited all this time for the car and I do want it! I feel link the dealer wouldn't care what I wanted because they know they can get rid of the car at a drop of a hat.

I guess i'm saying why do you guys think the dealer owes you anything when a car like this can be sold to anyone. If you don't like the amout of kms on it when you goto pick it up then oh well then i'm sure there is someone who does.
Do you want a car that some technician, or sales guy, or rep, or whoever took your brand new car for a joy ride and redlined it for several miles on a brand new motor? In their attempt to joy-ride in your car they could have caused some serious damage. You're the one who paid for the car too, not them. They owe you for whatever time/damages they might have caused to your car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SlipSlider said:
Or else what?

So what do you mean guys like you! Just what the hell is a "guy like you" and then maybe I can respond. :brentil: :brentil:

Yes I do think the dealer owes me something. IAM A FRICKING CUSTOMER!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
:agree: Small Dealer is correct. All new GM cars and trucks come with the window sticker on the windows. In fact its against the law to sell a car without the sticker on it. A dealer can be fined up to $10,000.00 per unit.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
brentil said:
Do you want a car that some technician, or sales guy, or rep, or whoever took your brand new car for a joy ride and redlined it for several miles on a brand new motor? In their attempt to joy-ride in your car they could have caused some serious damage. You're the one who paid for the car too, not them. They owe you for whatever time/damages they might have caused to your car.
If it was any other car then I would walk and not look back. This is different because i've waited so long. Don't get me wrong, like I said I'll be pissed if that's what happeneds, but i'll probably suck it up.

The original post was sort of ment to ask what sort of leg do I have to stand on in an argument like that? Does the dealer owe me anything, becides me being a cutomer (a cutomer that bought a car that they could sell to anyone right away)?

I've read the stories on here of people getting cars that the dealers have drivin and then complaining but I don't see that applying to this situation.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.