Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The coupe that my son uses has his daily driver
has 95,500 miles on it. This car has the GMPP tune...

What kind of maintenance am I going to need to do
as the car approaches 100k miles ?

• spark plugs
  • auto trans fluid
  • rear diff fluid
  • brake fluid
  • inspect belts

The battery and coolant have been changed regularly, but
I have to check the log for the dates.

... tires are good...

what else ?

Reactions: Super Serg

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m probably conditioned to thinking like the good ‘ol days... but back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, 100k meant timing chain and associated parts.

Some might disagree, and say “if it ain’t broke...” ... but there’s something about hitting that 100k, replacing the front end of the engine and feeling like it’s new again.

It’s provocative...
it gets the people goin...

I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me though.

Oh! And FYI- that’s a Bad A$$ pic! I’m not normally a fan of stripes, but these hit the spot!

·
Registered
315 Posts
So as an original owner of my GXP with 203K, I can tell you based on my experience you don't have much to worry about at 100K. You may have a water pump and a clutch come up in the next 40K but that should be it if it's well maintained. My timing and balance shaft chains made it to 200K before I started getting crankshaft/camshaft alignment warnings.

Our '06 NA has a more checkered past. It has 125K on it and could use a clutch and 4th gear but it has been raced and driven very hard. I also don't know who else has owned it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Take a look at the intake valves. Its likely they are coked up with carbon. There is evidence that this begins around 40k and gets progressively worse. Good time to get it blasted and cleaned up.

Also, take a hard look at the hoses. They die from the inside out and finding the lower radiator hose is getting problematic. DDM has a "kit" for all the other hoses. PAW has the upper radiator hose.

There are threads from about two years ago about the difficulty of finding replacement heater hoses. They "snap on" and finding them was nearly impossible back then. There was a discussion about making your own.

Check the CV boots and the shock bodies. The shocks have been known to fail but are rebuildable. They are probably fine but if you ignore them then . . . . .

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good advice from Rob the Elder. I have replaced my hoses as a precaution. The bottom hose is not fun. I also ended up making my own heater hoses. I don't know the parts situation now but I couldn't get them years ago. I've also replaced my shocks, my originals started leaking at like 60K. You'll know it if they go bad.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
FWIW i was recently able to get the lower radiator hose online fairly easily.
agreed it was not a fun job and i already had the tranny out. Can not imagine (though many have) doing it with the tranny in.
DDM Silicone for the rest gave peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts