Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please... I just KNEW there would be a place like this out here!
Found a 2008 GXP turbo, one owner 117K miles. Drove it... feel a little rough... vibration and maybe a wheel bearing issue but overall solid. Just looking for advice from GXP owners.... am I getting into a money pit? Need a new turbo? How long does transmission usually last? Anything I should specifically look for? ANY and all advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
The transmission is pretty good whether is the automatic or standard. The issues although with that kind of mileage it should have already happened and that is the HPFP and the water pump
If neither one of these have been done then you are looking at some large expenditures, unless you are mechanically oriented and can do the replacement yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! Thank you so much for the info. Only thing I noticed on test drive was maybe some bearing noise from one of the front wheels? Seemed a bit noisy, but having never driven one of these before, may be normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question sorry... is there any concern with the TURBO at high mileage? Read somewhere that GM thought they would go 100K miles no prob... that was a while back!

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Read and learn all you'd care to know:

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Turbos run hot and have moving parts. That combination only logically leads one to believe they will fail (as do all mechanical things) but maybe earlier than those systems that run cooler and have less moving parts. Having said that, do these engines have a higher failure rate with or because of the turbo? I don't recall a rash of complaints about it here on the forum - and if they were failing frequently, you'd most likely read about it here.

BUT - how many of these engines are over 100k miles? Since a lot of these cares are weekenders or even garage queens, a low percentage have seen over 100k miles I'd wager.

Then you add in how the previous owner(s) treated the ride and the level of maintenance it received. I'd be inclined to think that if it was treated and maintained reasonably well you'd be good . . .

but - you lay down your money and you roll the dice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbos run hot and have moving parts. That combination only logically leads one to believe they will fail (as do all mechanical things) but maybe earlier than those systems that run cooler and have less moving parts. Having said that, do these engines have a higher failure rate with or because of the turbo? I don't recall a rash of complaints about it here on the forum - and if they were failing frequently, you'd most likely read about it here.

BUT - how many of these engines are over 100k miles? Since a lot of these cares are weekenders or even garage queens, a low percentage have seen over 100k miles I'd wager.

Then you add in how the previous owner(s) treated the ride and the level of maintenance it received. I'd be inclined to think that if it was treated and maintained reasonably well you'd be good . . .

but - you lay down your money and you roll the dice.
All true, thank you for your reply!!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Since it's a one owner car you should be able to get its history easily. Find out what parts have been replaced. I dont feel like I've read many people with wheel bearing issues, but admittedly, I haven't been here as long as others. Do you only hear the sound while moving?

You can find GXP's with 110k miles for $3500 on craigslist. As with anything else, a little more money can get you a nicer car.

These cars are a ton of fun to drive and they look really unique, everyone seems to love our cars when spotted out in public. There are quite a few mods that can be done to improve the performance and handling of these cars.

I just put a new engine in my GXP this summer. It cost $1900 delivered - so if you need a new engine, its not the end of the world.

These forums are a fantastic resource for information. The people that frequent the forum have been coming here for years and we're always happy to help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have an 08 GXP and love it. Having said that I personally try to stay away from vehicles that have higher milage. I like to drive them for a while so I want to be the one to put the milage on but that's a personal opinion. As Chickenwire said, learn all you can before buying. This forum is a godsend for Solstice owners. Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My GXP has a little over 200,000 miles. I had the turbo rebuilt at around 180,000 and the clutch at around 130,000 but it would have gone longer (bad dealer advice that didn't solve the real problem of it just being a broken clutch pedal). Other than that, my issues are what I consider normal maintenance and repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found a 2008 GXP turbo, one owner 117K miles. Drove it... feel a little rough... vibration and maybe a wheel bearing issue but overall solid. Just looking for advice from GXP owners.... am I getting into a money pit? Need a new turbo? How long does transmission usually last? Anything I should specifically look for? ANY and all advice appreciated.
You will need to change all 4 wheel hubs as the wheel bearings are worn out. I bought a 2008 GXP with 90,000 miles and noticed wheel bearing noise and took my Solstice to the dealer who drove it and said the noise was "tire noise". I jacked the car up (something the Dealer did not do) and found that all the wheel bearing were worn out. You will need to buy 4 new wheel hubs (look on eBay and discount parts dealers) and a "Hub Buster" to remove the hubs. On my Solstice, the hubs were solidly stuck and it took a very large sledge hammer and a hub buster to remove the hubs ( they should come off with one hard blow). Be sure to grease the outside of the new hubs before installing so they will resist future corrosion . Replacing the hubs yourself will save a bundle of cash.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Also with that mileage you're looking at possible balancer and timing chains...about $2300...but like Saveaux said, if you go with a $1900 long block, it's cheaper then doing the WP and chains (yes, there are 2 chains for this car) at the dealer.... And you could go one further and buy a motor from ZZPerformance for $2499 with a new turbo....just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Oh...one other AWESOME source....get over on the Cobalt SS forum. The '09 and '10 Cobalt SS had the LNF motors (same as our turbo motor, but mounted transversly)...many of them are over 100k, but thier issues are a tad different. They don't have the issue with WPs like we do....they do have issues with HPFP and chains. There's a ton of good information over there because they tune the crude out of their cars so things break a lot quicker.... Itll give some good reads. I've had to ask questions there a few times because I have 82k on my car and had things that about 99% of the guys here have never experienced because of the mileage difference.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Also with that mileage you're looking at possible balancer and timing chains...about $2300...but like Saveaux said, if you go with a $1900 long block, it's cheaper then doing the WP and chains (yes, there are 2 chains for this car) at the dealer.... And you could go one further and buy a motor from ZZPerformance for $2499 with a new turbo....just a suggestion.
Good suggestion on ZZP. I ALMOST bought an engine from them but decided not to. I like ZZP and have other parts from them though.

ZZP
  • Warranty
  • LDK long block with LDK head $2000
  • LDK long block with LNF head $2500
  • LDK long block with LNF head and Turbo $3000
  • LDK long block with LDK head and Turbo - $2500
  • No injectors or fuel rail - but can be purchased additionally
  • You cannot call them. You can submit a request for them to call you though.
  • They have LDK blocks with LDK heads installed. If you want an LNF head then they have to switch heads out.
  • I was initially interested in a LDK block with LNF head. I inquired about them installing ARP head studs at the time of the head swap and they wanted $160 for the studs plus labor. I argued that the labor should be free since they have to switch heads out regardless of ARP studs or not, they refused - this sat poorly with me.
ATK
  • As is, no warranty
  • LDK long block, LDK head, Turbo, Opel injectors and fuel rail (also worth mentioning that the filter thing that the fuel line runs to the HPFP from has larger diameter tubes to flow more fuel) - $1900 delivered (made it to Denver from Texas in two days)
ATK has a couple hundred of these LDK blocks - all purchased from Europe (hence Opel injectors)

I had ZERO issues installing the engine with a LDK head - you DONT need an LNF head.

The LDK from ATK comes with a FWD oil pan, you'll need to swap your RWD oil pan out.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Whoops...it went up a bit since I last looked at their site....or my memory is starting fail with age...hmmmmmmmm.

I did go on their website and their number is listed....

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Whoops...it went up a bit since I last looked at their site....or my memory is starting fail with age...hmmmmmmmm.

I did go on their website and their number is listed....
The number they have listed is for sales - but if you have ANY questions then you have to wait on a technician to call you back. It works, you just have to wait and you dont get to choose the time they call you. One time a technician called me back on a Friday night at 8pm after a request.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another question sorry... is there any concern with the TURBO at high mileage? Read somewhere that GM thought they would go 100K miles no prob... that was a while back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts