Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a solstice,
is it true that i will have a hard time finding parts, and getting it serviced.
is it true that many places will not honor the warranty.
How reliable is the car.
will i have to put alot of money into the car?
looking at a 2009.

I like the car, but i dont want to purchase the car and then be sorry because of lack of support and expensive repairs and parts etc.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
welcome to the forum. a lot of you questions have alreayd been asked at length. give the google search in the upper left a try and see what answers might already be there.

you won't have to put a lot if any money into the car. they are fast and fun out of the box.

any GM dealer will honor the warranty. most, if not all GM dealers will be able to service it as it share components with other GM cars still in production including the LNF engine.

As for support, you always have the wise elders here to point you in the right direction.

good luck.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
As Jeff stated, the warranty will be honored by any GM dealer - BUT you'll want to find one with experience with this particular vehicle as they are a bit finicky. You may not find one with experience and then you'll need to find one that will LISTEN to you.

The 2.4 liter naturally aspirated (N/A) engines are not as complex as the 2.0 liter turbo and as such are less likely to have issues, though both have been very reliable based upon what I've read (mostly here.) Also keep in mind that you'll read about problems here but that's because people come here to research problems. There are many more owners that don't even know this forum exists and as such you won't hear about their trouble free cars. (There are many members here that indeed reinforce the fact that they have NOT had any major issues with their Kappas.)

I have had an 07 N/A for about 15 months now. Had the water pump and catalytic converter replaced. (Pump was out of warranty, cat converter was replaced under warranty.) Modified the underside of the convertible top to fix the "catching" when putting it up. (Total out of pocket expense was maybe 5 bucks and an hour of my time.) Anything else spent on the car was voluntary to make it prettier!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Hi I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a solstice,
is it true that i will have a hard time finding parts, and getting it serviced.
is it true that many places will not honor the warranty.
How reliable is the car.
will i have to put alot of money into the car?
looking at a 2009.

I like the car, but i dont want to purchase the car and then be sorry because of lack of support and expensive repairs and parts etc.

Thank you!
About the only part right now that's scarce is the hood and decklid.

Any GM dealer will honor the warranty, but like chicken said, you'll want to find a dealer that is reputable and has a former Pontiac tech working there. These vehicles (especially the GXP) are like Ferrari's....there are many "specialized" ways to repair them. Take the waterpump for example, if the procedure is not followed to the T, there will be issues. There are "known" issues that are common, but it's like any other car out there. Known issues are waterpump, rear vent tubing (although I believe it was fixed by '09).... Those are the 2 most common. But we found out, change the coolant about every 20k, and you shouldn't have a waterpump issue. Maintanence can be somewhat expensive....you can only use Mobil 1 for the oil changes (in the GXP)....

The car is reliable.... And if you have any issues, the guys here are VERY knowledgable at helping you diagnose and point you in the right direction to fix the issue....

Otherwise, if you go with the car, you'll get the same medical condition we all have called "permagrin".... ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had mine for almost three years (08 GXP) The only thing I have done besides maintenance and mods:) Is a preemptive replacement of the top radiator hose. Fun car, if you buy a N/A never drive a GXP:thumbs: And watch out for "mod fever":lol: Welcome and have fun!

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
About the only part right now that's scarce is the hood and decklid.

Any GM dealer will honor the warranty, but like chicken said, you'll want to find a dealer that is reputable and has a former Pontiac tech working there. These vehicles (especially the GXP) are like Ferrari's....there are many "specialized" ways to repair them. Take the waterpump for example, if the procedure is not followed to the T, there will be issues. There are "known" issues that are common, but it's like any other car out there. Known issues are waterpump, rear vent tubing (although I believe it was fixed by '09).... Those are the 2 most common. But we found out, change the coolant about every 20k, and you shouldn't have a waterpump issue. Maintanence can be somewhat expensive....you can only use Mobil 1 for the oil changes (in the GXP)....

The car is reliable.... And if you have any issues, the guys here are VERY knowledgable at helping you diagnose and point you in the right direction to fix the issue....

Otherwise, if you go with the car, you'll get the same medical condition we all have called "permagrin".... ;)
About a year or so ago I was conversing with Mike Kammeraaad at Source One autoparts and they ran across a reseller in the mid-west that had many "repair kits" that consisted of matching hood, doors, fenders, quarter panels and trunk lids. They were willing to sell all but the quarters to Source One which did pick up a few and carried them in their inventory. The source has a lot of them left

1 - 6 of 6 Posts