Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never left a message here. I'm a little intimidated by folks who know so much more about their cars. I am in my 70's and my knees are not cooperating with the in/out, top up/top down. After a few weeks of physical therapy, not much help. The reason I am writing today is to ask for some "Solstice Advice". It is a 2008 base model. I've had it for 10 years. I have a second car that gets 50% better mileage but it ain't no fun to drive. If the sun is out in Coos Bay, Oregon, my Solstice top is down. When it rains here, the Solstice is in the garage. I haven't done anything special to it. It is an automatic and just went over 100,000 miles. Looks like the one at the top left of this page. And that brings me to the question - how do I establish a value? Any advertising advice would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
search autotrader . com to find like-cars to get a feel for prices

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
I've never left a message here. I'm a little intimidated by folks who know so much more about their cars. I am in my 70's and my knees are not cooperating with the in/out, top up/top down. After a few weeks of physical therapy, not much help. The reason I am writing today is to ask for some "Solstice Advice". It is a 2008 base model. I've had it for 10 years. I have a second car that gets 50% better mileage but it ain't no fun to drive. If the sun is out in Coos Bay, Oregon, my Solstice top is down. When it rains here, the Solstice is in the garage. I haven't done anything special to it. It is an automatic and just went over 100,000 miles. Looks like the one at the top left of this page. And that brings me to the question - how do I establish a value? Any advertising advice would be welcome.
Glad you finally posted, but I'm sorry about the reason, and the fact that you have felt intimidated all these years.

@The_Ghost has posted several times about car values and is likely to chime in here. You can also look at the "For Sale" section here: Solstices and Parts for Sale/Want to Buy as well as the websites already mentioned.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I've never left a message here. I'm a little intimidated by folks who know so much more about their cars.
Generally speaking, the Solstices w/100,000 miles on them are being priced around $4,500 to $5,500 in decent condition.

Good luck w/the sale of your car, but I bet you're going to miss it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
coosgene1,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

For the record, 1yr. ago I purchased my 2008 Sly base. I overpaid for mine, BUT I got exactly what I wanted: (color, motor, trans., options, condition, close to home). And I don't regret or question my decision one bit.

So, I can't really help you with your valuation, but someone out there will want your Solstice. Hopefully you can sell it on your terms. Check out all those sites that the other forum members have suggested & that should give you a "ballpark" figure to ask for.

Just don't put it on any auction site. 'Cause to get your best money, you need 2 or more bidders. Whereas, all you need is the 1 person who wants to buy YOUR car.

Hope you can still get some enjoyment out of your Solstice & good luck with the sale.

G.W.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
KBB.com really doesn't rate our cars all that well. You have to go by what's out there, within 300 miles of where you live. A car is worth what someone will pay for it. A "true" value is how a dealership would rate it. Many people say their cars are pristine and they aren't even in fair condition. Last year at this same time, your car would have been worth about $2k less then what it's worth this year. But pricing has climbed this year due to COVID and people not being able to actually leave their houses to look at cars. If money isn't the issue and there is no hurry to sell it, put a higher price on it and see what happens. It's always nice to have $2k more then what you thought you were going to get. Good luck to you.... A good starting point would be around $5k-$7k with the major uptick in pricing this year. But I've seen 100k mile NA cars go for over $9k this year.

On a side note on your knees, I myself have a knee issue this year that makes driving my Solstice almost unbearable because of the way I angle my legs when I drive. It started with a hip issue that I got from golfing last fall. Then I managed to tear the meniscus on both sides of the knee on my right knee on the same leg during rehab on my hip. Luckily, for my age (48), I have zero arthritis in my hips or knees. So I got a shot of cortisone and a brace. I'm hoping this helps. One thing you might ask your doctor about, is a wonderful, fairly new drug called Duexis. It's an anti-inflamatory as well as arthritis drug (ibuprofen) and it's fairly new and wonderful. I can't believe the relief I got from it.

Sorry for the high-jack there...

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
As for the comment on the auction site I have a friend who regularly flips cars (muscle cars) and he got tired of all the BS in selling local so now most of his sales are on Mecum auctions and some on Ebay . . He sets a reasonable reserve and has been pretty successful going this route .As he told me people on auction sites go there to buy a lot of the local listings are people who have nothing better to do ,cannot get financing if they are going that route , want to trade or the wife says no to the deal .

·
Registered
610 Posts
I may end up selling off mine too for the same reasons, ankle, back &shifting arm are not getting along with my solstice.( also have meniscus issues but knees not a issue sofar) it's a totally different sitting,clutching&shifting position than my old car and it had a lot stiffer HP clutch in it. mine might have 57500 miles on it now. neither me or the car is happy.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sometimes pain dictates your actions and there's no alternative.

Gene (i'm assuming you're named Gene and you're from Coos Bay), one thing I have noted in all my years of playing with cars is that clubs (this forum counts as one for this purpose) do a good job of putting buyers in touch with sellers and vice-versa. Club members also tend to understand "what you've got there" a bit better than somebody looking for second car.

Best wishes no matter what your choice is.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Hmm - KBB just told me my 18,000 mile one owner manual GXP coupe is worth between $7594 and $8885.....guess I may as well hang onto it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
ALH...I regret not buying a dodge demon already....
I've been retired now since 2014. Your comment reminded me of some of my favorite sports cars that I've owned over my working years. Two different C4's and a C5. My first real sports car was a used C4 Corvette Red with black convertible top with black leather interior. I loved that car and regret to this day ever trading it (for a PT Cruiser when they were the new thing in town). Big mistake even though the PT was brand new. So, then I purchased another C4 . . . sold when laid off. . . regret! Then . . found another job and eventually bought a C5 . . . . but, sold it when I retired because then "I no longer needed" two cars for me and my wife. Needless to say I got the bug again; however, used 'vettes have appreciated a lot since I retired. So, I've always liked the Solstice style and purchased my 2006 Solstice Base Ming blue manual in January this year and I'm keepin' it. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Great color, ALH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts