Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone besides me believe that this 10-24 UPD (Universal Promise Date) is nothing more than a 99-99-99

If we are all pushed back to 10-24 can we ever believe that this is a firm date...or will it then go to 11-21 or even 12-19

Personally I no longer believe 10-24 is a real date...but just a filler date
My bubble is burst . I'm not pulling out...but this roller coaster is getting too much. I'm cracking up (jk) !

Comments ???

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
druid-2 said:
Does anyone besides me believe that this 10-24 UPD (Universal Promise Date) is nothing more than a 99-99-99

If we are all pushed back to 10-24 can we ever believe that this is a firm date...or will it then go to 11-21 or even 12-19

My bubble is burst . I'm not pulling out...but this roller coaster is getting too much. I'm cracking up (jk) !

Comments ???
I know what you mean I would be going nuts if my car wasn't already made.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I totally agree with you and the more SOLS that hit the highway the more excited I get about possible getting mine. I have been waiting a long time as have many of all of us but this is getting very OLD. My mid life crisis will be passing me by :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Coming Summer 2005 - my a**!!

I'm curious what all the people who were defending Pontiac by saying " :cuss: technically summer isn't over until September 22, so GM has until then to get the cars out - so shut up! :cuss: " have to say about this?

...Yeah, that's what I thought :lol:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
SD SOL said:
I'm curious what all the people who were defending Pontiac by saying " :cuss: technically summer isn't over until September 22, so GM has until then to get the cars out - so shut up! :cuss: " have to say about this?

Yah: so there. Nah nah nah.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i know

I know it's tough, but c'mon guys and gals. Isn't this car WELL worth waiting for? We're almost ALL waiting. Just think about all the people who WON'T be getting a Solstice at all. Sucks to be them, huh?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
deluke said:
I know what you mean I would be going nuts if my car wasn't already made.
Kind of like I've been going nuts, ya mean? :lol:

I guess my problem with production codes and dates was just the tip of a very large iceberg. Seems like there may be another problem at the plant messing up the production schedule. I sure hope GMlinedog chimes in and gives us an update. Not getting any info is the worst part of the waiting. :willy:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
dengel said:
Kind of like I've been going nuts, ya mean? :lol:

I guess my problem with production codes and dates was just the tip of a very large iceberg. Seems like there may be another problem at the plant messing up the production schedule. I sure hope GMlinedog chimes in and gives us an update. Not getting any info is the worst part of the waiting. :willy:
Dengel, I really feel bad for you being a zz and no word on you car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
My mid life crisis will be passing me by :lol:
I'm beginning to think by the time I get mine it will be time for my mid life crisis!!!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
simmonsmb said:
I'm beginning to think by the time I get mine it will be time for my mid life crisis!!!
Same here... and i'm 19.

·
Registered
905 Posts
According to the Internet Death Clock I'm dying in 2034, so hopefully I get mine before then :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
GHM73 said:
Just think about all the people who WON'T be getting a Solstice at all. Sucks to be them, huh?
This includes all those who will die before their car comes. Really sucks to be them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stay cool. Just remember that someday soon you'll be able to tell the first-person story of the "birth" of this classic vehicle, and how intimately you were involved. ....And can you imagine sitting at a show-and-shine in 20 years and spinning this tale?

Bend; don't break.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I beginning to think that I better re-do my WILL and add to it a non-delivered Solstice with a deposit. Than my kids could pay for the balance of the car. :lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
October 24th......Get outta here.....

druid-2 said:

Comments ???
I don't think GM is that Stupid. The 10-24-05 date is just a number. I would not be surprised if they are laughing in Customer Support! The Call Center Supervisor told everyone: "Just Tell Them October 24th," "Maybe They Will Stop Calling". :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SD SOL said:

Ummmmm... They've shipped some units, people are ordering the new units, and they're building Solstices. Did you really think that they would deliver the entire 20,000 units of the Model Year 2006 units during the Summer of 2005?

Ok, so really, how many units is enough to satisfy you for meeting the "available Summer 2005"? 15,000... 10,000... 5000??? :skep: Get serious. They will be producing solstices through out the entire year.

I am curious, though, what would have counted for keeping the "available Summer 2005" in your eyes?? :confused:

I know the wait is frustrating. And it's been a week since our last "I can't take it any more!" thread, so we were due. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Canadian website says "Arriving this summer". I would take that to mean at least one car delivered to each major dealer (would only take about 80 cars). They have until 6:23 EDT on Thursday to accomplish that. As far as we can tell no Canadian cars have been delivered.

But I agree with Idahobob. We are here at the beginning of a potentially great car. Who knows what will happen. It could become a marquis car for Pontiac as the Corvette has for Chevrolet. Or it could die after a few years because it ends up costing too much to produce each one. Either way we win by having one of the first model year.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
The Canadian website says "Arriving this summer". I would take that to mean at least one car delivered to each major dealer (would only take about 80 cars). They have until 6:23 EDT on Thursday to accomplish that. As far as we can tell no Canadian cars have been delivered.

But I agree with Idahobob. We are here at the beginning of a potentially great car. Who knows what will happen. It could become a marquis car for Pontiac as the Corvette has for Chevrolet. Or it could die after a few years because it ends up costing too much to produce each one. Either way we win by having one of the first model year.
Ok, I can see one to each dealer, but it's still a pretty tall order, because with about 3900 total dealers in the US and Canada, that's a lot of cars. (If memory serves, there are about 1100 Canadian Dealers and 2800 US dealers, but I'm sure the Forum will fill in that detail) Even if the number is closer to 3000, it's still a lot of cars.

Personally, I laud GM for ignoring the critics who howl that it's taking too long. GM reset our expectations when we ordered them, and they said 4th quarter 2006. I know your primary complaint is that the "summer" remained on the Canadian web site, but seriously, the Canadian web site still had the pictures of the 2002 concept and it's specs until some time in March or April of this year. ;)

The big trouble is that even the best project management is a crap shoot, and if something unexpected comes up, you can wind up eating up all of the management reserve you had in your schedule and then some. So, it is notoriously difficult to meet delivery dates, and the earlier they are set, the less certain they are.

Has Pontiac delivered some units during the Summer of 2005? That one's an unqualified yes. Do they deserve a whipping in the forum pages every time someone's patience runs out? Well, maybe, but I think that in this case, Pontiac and GM are actually on our side, they've done something that is rarely done, and they've brought a real concept car to life. While it does happen, it's still very rare, and even more rare for a "knock your socks off" concept car that an ordinary Joe without an 8 figure income can afford.

Venting is good only so long as you feel better afterwards. Opinions will vary, and there will be folks who remain bitter about the "available [arriving] Summer 2005" statement, but in the end, it's really about a great car as you said in the last part of your last post.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
With the number of solid pre-orders, other than Canada, they cannot afford to build one extra car per dealer for stock. And where did anyone come up with specifically 10/24 when all they said was the first 1000 by the end of October, which by my calendat goes for another 7 days.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
achieftain said:
With the number of solid pre-orders, other than Canada, they cannot afford to build one extra car per dealer for stock. And where did anyone come up with specifically 10/24 when all they said was the first 1000 by the end of October, which by my calendar goes for another 7 days.
Good point, one extra for "dealer stock" when amortized over the dealerships doesn't make sense with a car being produced in the 18,000/20,000 per Model Year range. It's above 15%, closer to 20%.

And, yes, precisely, when we ordered the early units, they did say October, 4th Quarter 2006. Thanks, achieftain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts