Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Doesn't do much for a full blown blow out though. Looks like I will need to join AAA.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah def no room in that bad boy for a extra tire. I'm confident enough w/ out the donut tire. Fortunatley I have yet to change a tire on the side of a road...knock on wood!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah.. well.. what if you get a flat on the highway at night with little to no light.. and you can't find the hole. So many scenarios where that little kit could never replace a spare and jack.. but then again, guess it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
lupado said:
Yeah.. well.. what if you get a flat on the highway at night with little to no light.. and you can't find the hole.
OK, I think I've figured it out :yesnod: Lupado is really a GM employee (maybe contractor) doing market research. His job is to probe for negative reactions to shortcomings of the Solstice.

He NEVER has anything postive to say. You can't simply dismiss him as Troll, because they actually have lives. The nasty ones don't stay long, and the ones who do stick around (generally) make some kind of positive contribution. If nothing else, they occasionally try to be funny.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
lupado said:
Yeah.. well.. what if you get a flat on the highway at night with little to no light.. and you can't find the hole. So many scenarios where that little kit could never replace a spare and jack.. but then again, guess it's better than nothing.
The flat tire kit just pumps stuff into the tire and seals it for you as it pumps the tire back up too. The only thing you really can't fix is a sidewall blow out, or a full on blow out. You plug it into the 12v line, hook it up to the tire, turn it on, follow a couple more simple instructions and you can drive off at 55mph or even higher maybe for like 250 miles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
anticd70 said:
Yeah def no room in that bad boy for a extra tire. I'm confident enough w/ out the donut tire. Fortunatley I have yet to change a tire on the side of a road...knock on wood!
The donut tire is almost worse than the orginal problem. If you have LSD and put the smaller tire on the rear within 2 to 5 miles the LSD will be shot. If you put it on the front the steering is miserable and dangerous. :brentil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
That is alot cheaper than "run flats." ;)
The car will ride a lot smoother too without those run flats! :thumbs:

·
Registered
124 Posts
lupado said:
Yeah.. well.. what if you get a flat on the highway at night with little to no light.. and you can't find the hole. So many scenarios where that little kit could never replace a spare and jack..
Come on! This system is FAR easier that trying to find jack, jack handle, lug nuts, and so on in the dead of night, and then fumbling them in the dark!!!

Realistically, when is the last time you had a real blow-out in modern radials? I can't remember, and I have been driving 35+ Years. I have had a few nails and such over the years, and this pump would have handled those situations just fine..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the repair kit is actually better than the old fashioned spare tire. I'm a magnet for nail, screws and anything else that will deflate a tire. I was even thinking of getting the run flat tires. However, if the tires are running flat, how do you know they are flat?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Eastocean said:
Come on! This system is FAR easier that trying to find jack, jack handle, lug nuts, and so on in the dead of night, and then fumbling them in the dark!!!
Actually not having a spare or a jack is really going to p1ss you off some night when you run over something that damages your tiire. The goop in a can is not going to seal and you are going to be stuck along side the road. If you are in the boonies.... good luck. This "cool" system will only work if you have a slow leak from a nail or screw. I ran over broken bottle with my BMW and sliced the sidewall. I'm still driving on the full-sized spare and matching wheel and the original is repaired and back in the trunk. With the Solstice I would have been waiting for a very long time for "roadside assistance". And what would they do for me? Tow me to the nearest dealer to wait over night? Not cool at all :(

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...ditto

MAKsys said:
OK, I think I've figured it out :yesnod: Lupado is really a GM employee (maybe contractor) doing market research. His job is to probe for negative reactions to shortcomings of the Solstice.

He NEVER has anything postive to say. You can't simply dismiss him as Troll, because they actually have lives. The nasty ones don't stay long, and the ones who do stick around (generally) make some kind of positive contribution. If nothing else, they occasionally try to be funny.
OK I think I've figured it out. MAKsys is really a troll finder doing market research. His job is to probe for trolls whenever he finds someone being critical. lol
:cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Flaaaattt!!! so what, deal !

Jet Black,
If you think that the flat tire issue is that scarry for you, maybe it would be best for you to let someone else buy the Solstice you have ordered. Otherwise, I think the trunk has room for a flashlight and a "Blankie"
Sitting Duck

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The interesting thing about spares is that most people never check them and aren't aware that they may be driving around with flat, dead weight!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jetblack....if its that big of a problem for some they could consider having a spare tire at home in the garage so if ever needed...call the wife!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lupado said:
Have you ever posted one positive thing about the Solstice? :lol:

Just out of curiosity what cars do you have?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts