Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/

Popular Mechanics spy report a month or so ago published this artists rendering of a Chevy roadster version of the Kappa platform. They have a writeup about it about 3/4 the way down on that link. However, they have republished the photo near the top of that link and are now saying this is basically what the Saturn Kappa roadster (Evoke?) will look like. Um, what happened to the VX Lightning?

They could easily be wrong. Its not even a spy pic, just some drawing. Hopefully they are not watering down the VX styling into this, which frankly reminds me more of the Saturn Sky concept than anything. Its hard to get a complete idea since its from the 3/4 rear view and there is no image of the front end. But if this is what they come out with, it will be a dissappointment (what isn't at Saturn these days) and it should insure strong Solstice sales. :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/

Popular Mechanics spy report a month or so ago published this artists rendering of a Chevy roadster version of the Kappa platform. They have a writeup about it about 3/4 the way down on that link. However, they have republished the photo near the top of that link and are now saying this is basically what the Saturn Kappa roadster (Evoke?) will look like. Um, what happened to the VX Lightning?

They could easily be wrong. Its not even a spy pic, just some drawing. Hopefully they are not watering down the VX styling into this, which frankly reminds me more of the Saturn Sky concept than anything. Its hard to get a complete idea since its from the 3/4 rear view and there is no image of the front end. But if this is what they come out with, it will be a dissappointment (what isn't at Saturn these days) and it should insure strong Solstice sales. :cool

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The vents behind the front wheels are on the VX Lightning concept. I believe this is the same concept just more rounded, instead of the very straight lines of the VX.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The vents behind the front wheels are on the VX Lightning concept. I believe this is the same concept just more rounded, instead of the very straight lines of the VX.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've attached two images of the VX Lightning. You'll notice some very close simularities between the artist rendition and the real images.
Like the large vents behind the front wheels.
The deep ridges down the front hood.
The rims are pretty much the same.

It looks very much like an artist took the VX Lightning and molded it with the Solstice to get the rounded edges on the VX's straight edges. Some of the other styling aspects like the rear trunk lid look like they were taken right off the Solstice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've attached two images of the VX Lightning. You'll notice some very close simularities between the artist rendition and the real images.
Like the large vents behind the front wheels.
The deep ridges down the front hood.
The rims are pretty much the same.

It looks very much like an artist took the VX Lightning and molded it with the Solstice to get the rounded edges on the VX's straight edges. Some of the other styling aspects like the rear trunk lid look like they were taken right off the Solstice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Got a salt shaker?

We should rename Popular Science to Popular Gossip.

Be calm, people. Have patience. Even if they do screw up the translation of the VX lightning, we still have the Solstice!

Assuming that's what they are doing. Saturn may be weird enough to try to bring out the old Sky... who knows?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Got a salt shaker?

We should rename Popular Science to Popular Gossip.

Be calm, people. Have patience. Even if they do screw up the translation of the VX lightning, we still have the Solstice!

Assuming that's what they are doing. Saturn may be weird enough to try to bring out the old Sky... who knows?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I remember seeing this exact drawing months ago attached to Chevy. I don't think the drawing is official GM, just some artists conception. I think it means nothing. Remember Popular Mechanics was pretty sure we'd all be driving jet cars and have atomic powered homes by now! They're kind of like National Inquirer for guys.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I remember seeing this exact drawing months ago attached to Chevy. I don't think the drawing is official GM, just some artists conception. I think it means nothing. Remember Popular Mechanics was pretty sure we'd all be driving jet cars and have atomic powered homes by now! They're kind of like National Inquirer for guys.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AeroDave said:
Check out the link and scroll down, Pop Mech originally did attach this drawing to Chevy, and has since revised who they think is getting the car.

I am taking this drawing with a grain of salt myself, but I figured it was worth posting since it is out there, and it hasn't appeared on the forum yet. Although it may be BS, it may also be fairly accurate.

We'll have to just wait and see... :lurk

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AeroDave said:
Check out the link and scroll down, Pop Mech originally did attach this drawing to Chevy, and has since revised who they think is getting the car.

I am taking this drawing with a grain of salt myself, but I figured it was worth posting since it is out there, and it hasn't appeared on the forum yet. Although it may be BS, it may also be fairly accurate.

We'll have to just wait and see... :lurk

·
Registered
281 Posts
as the sole proponent for a lightning-esque design going to cadillac, i say GOOD! saturn isnt edgy, caddy is. caddy is lacking a roadster to cmpete with the Z4, MB and boxster and needs one. nerdstar-powered vettes need not apply! :thumbs

·
Registered
281 Posts
as the sole proponent for a lightning-esque design going to cadillac, i say GOOD! saturn isnt edgy, caddy is. caddy is lacking a roadster to cmpete with the Z4, MB and boxster and needs one. nerdstar-powered vettes need not apply! :thumbs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bizz said:
Have you seen the XLR? I think Caddilac is set in the roadster dept.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bizz said:
Have you seen the XLR? I think Caddilac is set in the roadster dept.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts