Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

This is the Saturn Roadster? What happened?

7K views 61 replies 10 participants last post by  Fformula88 
#1 ·
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/

Popular Mechanics spy report a month or so ago published this artists rendering of a Chevy roadster version of the Kappa platform. They have a writeup about it about 3/4 the way down on that link. However, they have republished the photo near the top of that link and are now saying this is basically what the Saturn Kappa roadster (Evoke?) will look like. Um, what happened to the VX Lightning?

They could easily be wrong. Its not even a spy pic, just some drawing. Hopefully they are not watering down the VX styling into this, which frankly reminds me more of the Saturn Sky concept than anything. Its hard to get a complete idea since its from the 3/4 rear view and there is no image of the front end. But if this is what they come out with, it will be a dissappointment (what isn't at Saturn these days) and it should insure strong Solstice sales. :cool

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/

Popular Mechanics spy report a month or so ago published this artists rendering of a Chevy roadster version of the Kappa platform. They have a writeup about it about 3/4 the way down on that link. However, they have republished the photo near the top of that link and are now saying this is basically what the Saturn Kappa roadster (Evoke?) will look like. Um, what happened to the VX Lightning?

They could easily be wrong. Its not even a spy pic, just some drawing. Hopefully they are not watering down the VX styling into this, which frankly reminds me more of the Saturn Sky concept than anything. Its hard to get a complete idea since its from the 3/4 rear view and there is no image of the front end. But if this is what they come out with, it will be a dissappointment (what isn't at Saturn these days) and it should insure strong Solstice sales. :cool

#5 ·
I've attached two images of the VX Lightning. You'll notice some very close simularities between the artist rendition and the real images.
Like the large vents behind the front wheels.
The deep ridges down the front hood.
The rims are pretty much the same.

It looks very much like an artist took the VX Lightning and molded it with the Solstice to get the rounded edges on the VX's straight edges. Some of the other styling aspects like the rear trunk lid look like they were taken right off the Solstice.

Attachments

#6 ·
I've attached two images of the VX Lightning. You'll notice some very close simularities between the artist rendition and the real images.
Like the large vents behind the front wheels.
The deep ridges down the front hood.
The rims are pretty much the same.

It looks very much like an artist took the VX Lightning and molded it with the Solstice to get the rounded edges on the VX's straight edges. Some of the other styling aspects like the rear trunk lid look like they were taken right off the Solstice.

Attachments

#9 ·
Got a salt shaker?

We should rename Popular Science to Popular Gossip.

Be calm, people. Have patience. Even if they do screw up the translation of the VX lightning, we still have the Solstice!

Assuming that's what they are doing. Saturn may be weird enough to try to bring out the old Sky... who knows?

#10 ·
Got a salt shaker?

We should rename Popular Science to Popular Gossip.

Be calm, people. Have patience. Even if they do screw up the translation of the VX lightning, we still have the Solstice!

Assuming that's what they are doing. Saturn may be weird enough to try to bring out the old Sky... who knows?

#11 ·
I remember seeing this exact drawing months ago attached to Chevy. I don't think the drawing is official GM, just some artists conception. I think it means nothing. Remember Popular Mechanics was pretty sure we'd all be driving jet cars and have atomic powered homes by now! They're kind of like National Inquirer for guys.

#12 ·
I remember seeing this exact drawing months ago attached to Chevy. I don't think the drawing is official GM, just some artists conception. I think it means nothing. Remember Popular Mechanics was pretty sure we'd all be driving jet cars and have atomic powered homes by now! They're kind of like National Inquirer for guys.

#16 ·
AeroDave said:
Check out the link and scroll down, Pop Mech originally did attach this drawing to Chevy, and has since revised who they think is getting the car.

I am taking this drawing with a grain of salt myself, but I figured it was worth posting since it is out there, and it hasn't appeared on the forum yet. Although it may be BS, it may also be fairly accurate.

We'll have to just wait and see... :lurk

#15 ·
AeroDave said:
Check out the link and scroll down, Pop Mech originally did attach this drawing to Chevy, and has since revised who they think is getting the car.

I am taking this drawing with a grain of salt myself, but I figured it was worth posting since it is out there, and it hasn't appeared on the forum yet. Although it may be BS, it may also be fairly accurate.

We'll have to just wait and see... :lurk

#17 ·
as the sole proponent for a lightning-esque design going to cadillac, i say GOOD! saturn isnt edgy, caddy is. caddy is lacking a roadster to cmpete with the Z4, MB and boxster and needs one. nerdstar-powered vettes need not apply! :thumbs

#18 ·
as the sole proponent for a lightning-esque design going to cadillac, i say GOOD! saturn isnt edgy, caddy is. caddy is lacking a roadster to cmpete with the Z4, MB and boxster and needs one. nerdstar-powered vettes need not apply! :thumbs

#19 ·
Bizz said:
Have you seen the XLR? I think Caddilac is set in the roadster dept.

#20 ·
Bizz said:
Have you seen the XLR? I think Caddilac is set in the roadster dept.

#23 ·
Cadillac could use a more entry level luxury-Roadster. The XLR is a great roadster to compete with the likes of the Jaguar XK8, Merc SL500 (is that the right designation anymore?) Lexus SC 430, and other similar luxury convertables in the $80 price range.

However, they have nothing aimed at the Audi A4 Cabriolet, BMW Z4, Merc SLK, Chrysler Crossfire roadster (basically the Merc SLK) and similar vehicles. I would think a Kappa roadster following the Art and Science theme (ugh!) with the Cadillac 3.6L DOHC engine and maybe a 6 speed manual would be very competitive in the $40 class of roadsters.

#24 ·
Cadillac could use a more entry level luxury-Roadster. The XLR is a great roadster to compete with the likes of the Jaguar XK8, Merc SL500 (is that the right designation anymore?) Lexus SC 430, and other similar luxury convertables in the $80 price range.

However, they have nothing aimed at the Audi A4 Cabriolet, BMW Z4, Merc SLK, Chrysler Crossfire roadster (basically the Merc SLK) and similar vehicles. I would think a Kappa roadster following the Art and Science theme (ugh!) with the Cadillac 3.6L DOHC engine and maybe a 6 speed manual would be very competitive in the $40 class of roadsters.

#25 ·
Bizz said:
sorry, but $80K roadsters dont compete with $40K roadsters in my book. cadillac is indeed lacking an entry to compete with the SLK, boxter and Z4.
I guess my question is, why does Caddilac need a 40k "entry level" roadster? Why not a lower division like Buick or Saturn? Caddilac has tried to be entry level before with the Cimmoron and Seville, and overall I think it cheapens the brand. IMHO Caddilac should be focusing upward, not downward and strive to make the brand more exotic and world class.

Caddilac seems confused right now, do they want to stay mid level mass market? Do they really want to be a truck maker? Should they be making cars for Snoop Dog or executives? Trendy, edgy, contraversial styling, or more conservative classic timeless styling? Personally I think all of America's luxury marques have lost their way by going for quanity over quality. As for Caddilac I would think that ditching the lower end and focusing on producing things like the Sixteen concept car would do alot more to further strenghten their brand image than making yet another 40k something roadster.

#26 ·
Bizz said:
sorry, but $80K roadsters dont compete with $40K roadsters in my book. cadillac is indeed lacking an entry to compete with the SLK, boxter and Z4.
I guess my question is, why does Caddilac need a 40k "entry level" roadster? Why not a lower division like Buick or Saturn? Caddilac has tried to be entry level before with the Cimmoron and Seville, and overall I think it cheapens the brand. IMHO Caddilac should be focusing upward, not downward and strive to make the brand more exotic and world class.

Caddilac seems confused right now, do they want to stay mid level mass market? Do they really want to be a truck maker? Should they be making cars for Snoop Dog or executives? Trendy, edgy, contraversial styling, or more conservative classic timeless styling? Personally I think all of America's luxury marques have lost their way by going for quanity over quality. As for Caddilac I would think that ditching the lower end and focusing on producing things like the Sixteen concept car would do alot more to further strenghten their brand image than making yet another 40k something roadster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.