Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. just gotta keep remembering not to push the stupid edit button when I go to quote someone.

Anyways, just wanted to let folks know that I've been starting to move some of the topics to their appropriate discussion - I apologize for the inconvenience.

Troy, if you get a chance, maybe a subsection in the "off topic" called

Questions Asked Again?!? or Ask That Again?!?
For newbies and lazies: Look here to see if your question in your head has been recently asked, before starting a new thread asking the same question

or something like that may make a good place to put "Brentil head-popping" questions, like the 5 separate threads on when will production start... and as these questions come in, I can funnel them away from the asundry areas they show up in...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Might want to consider a General GM news (or car news) forum as well. Sometimes I find general GM stuff and I just post into Solstice News. Depends on how clean you want to keep that forum?

I'm assuming Sky news will wait for when that gets moved to the separate forum (skyroadster)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT idea! I've never seen a forum with such a sub-section, but I LIKE it! :thumbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Troy, if you get a chance, maybe a subsection in the "off topic" called

Questions Asked Again?!? or Ask That Again?!?
For newbies and lazies: Look here to see if your question in your head has been recently asked, before starting a new thread asking the same question

or something like that may make a good place to put "Brentil head-popping" questions, like the 5 separate threads on when will production start... and as these questions come in, I can funnel them away from the asundry areas they show up in...
Yeah, you could call that section, "Head Poppers!" I have to admit, my head has been close to popping too, so just in case, I've put down plastic and news papers! :lol

P.S. We need a head popping smiley.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Ah, the great quandry of every forum. How to keep the newbies from posting repeat questions a million times! I am not sure it can really be done. Those Brentil head poppers are just going to keep going! :lol

I have seen some newbie sections on other forums. Those forums encourage new members to intruduce themselves, and ask any general questions they may initially have regarding the car. That seems to handle at least a decent share of the repeat questions. Or at least keeps them organized in one place. Then they can move onto other specific sections after they get their feet wet and develop some more in depth quirries.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, just to let folks know:

I've scanned through the sub forums all the way back to the beginning, and moved several threads around to what I think are in the correct topic sections. I also stuck a few interesting threads at top (Mule article links, a very detailed Ecotec summary, for a few examples).

Just drop me a PM or post a response to this thread if you see anything that may need attention.

Thanks!

I'm giving some consideration to propose to Troy some sub-topics that may make sense as our fave lil roadster moves into our hot little hands. I'm not altogether certain how deep the org structure goes in vBulliten, but in the tech section, for example, posts and questions seem to be specific to only a few areas (engine/transmission, chassis/suspension/steering/tires, accessories/options, just for a few examples).

We have a "Solstice in the news", but many of the articles are solstice-related, or now Sky-related, or even related to competition - maybe it makes sense, (just for example) to make a "..in the News" section, and under it would be Solstice, Sky, Other Kappas, Competition, General Automotive.

Just a few ideas that have popped up as I perused the history of the site.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
We have a "Solstice in the news", but many of the articles are solstice-related, or now Sky-related, or even related to competition - maybe it makes sense, (just for example) to make a "..in the News" section, and under it would be Solstice, Sky, Other Kappas, Competition, General Automotive.

Just a few ideas that have popped up as I perused the history of the site.
Ideas like that are good ideas. Up until now, the current sections have served us well. However, as traffic build on the site it will be easier to keep things organized by breaking these sections down more. Especially after the car is out, when people will have modification questions, maintenance questions, general questions, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
Let me think about that one a bit. Your head can pop from repeated newbie questions but we don't want to be rude to new members either.
I just checked out the miata forum. They have a FAQ. They also have a newbies page where they explain how things work and ask the newbie to at least read the FAQ if they don't do anything else. Then there is a link to the actual forum...

Personally, I would think it would be up to the new guys on the block to learn how things work rather than those already here having to bring the newbie up to speed.

I am not trying to put anyone down here, but if you are coming in cold it is your responsibility to fit in by learning what's expected.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
dls6774 said:
I just checked out the miata forum. They have a FAQ. They also have a newbies page where they explain how things work and ask the newbie to at least read the FAQ if they don't do anything else. Then there is a link to the actual forum...

Personally, I would think it would be up to the new guys on the block to learn how things work rather than those already here having to bring the newbie up to speed.

I am not trying to put anyone down here, but if you are coming in cold it is your responsibility to fit in by learning what's expected.
Yeah, I have to agree with you completely. It's pretty much pointless to have a search button too. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, I have to agree with you completely. It's pretty much pointless to have a search button too. :D
Actually, I was thinking like a protocol.

1-Read the FAQ --wasn't there?
2-Search --wasn't there?
3-Post question(s)

It wouldn't catch all the repeats but maybe keep them manageable?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I've been looking at other forums as well - noticed the Mazda stuff right away. Newbies and clear FAQ sections seem to be a common theme.

I'm still fiddling with ideas, when I get something that makes more sense, then I'll post them and see what folks think - comments, improvements, modifications, etc.

Once we get something that seems like it might work better, I'll close the thread and work with Troy to reorg and move threads around and stuff - assuming Troy approves, of course :smile

Maybe in the newbie section a corp/industry/insider warning about information security - my contacts at GM and Ford have been getting more frequent e-mails about protocol and information security, and some folks might not realize how much trouble they can get in for a simple post or slip of stuff not "officially" distributed yet.

This is going to get really messy once the Sky forum comes up - it's looking like the major differences are mainly styling - and dup info is going to be somewhat difficult to manage... but I think it will be just fine. It's actually quite nice to see that GM actually has made (or is making) a vehicle with so much interest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
I don't know how the forum building software works, or what is possible, but would it be possible to have a FAQ page that you have to read much like the legal agreemant pages during the member registration process. That way every new member that signs up would be presented with a FAQ sheet giving them the lastest basic info before they ever get a chance to post. Maybe if the software doesn't allow this, someone here who is a web designer could modify it? Just an idea. :cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
I don't know how the forum building software works, or what is possible, but would it be possible to have a FAQ page that you have to read much like the legal agreemant pages during the member registration process. That way every new member that signs up would be presented with a FAQ sheet giving them the lastest basic info before they ever get a chance to post. Maybe if the software doesn't allow this, someone here who is a web designer could modify it? Just an idea. :cheers
The problem with this like any other FAQ/EULA is no one reads them. They just click past them.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
The problem with this like any other FAQ/EULA is no one reads them. They just click past them.
Exactly. Its easier and less time consuming for new people to just ask a question, and not hunt for an answer on a new forum.

We should just recommend to newbies that they check the faq thread if they ask something we know has an answer in it.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top