Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I posted a fairly long discussion of the astronomical solstice. Here's a piece of it:
Crimson Avenger said:
The times for the Solstices and Equinoxes are shown at: link to Us Naval Observatory: Earth's Seasons...1992/2020. Now, when your reading the chart, note that the times are displayed in Coordinated Universal Time pretty much the same as [GMT] or the times in Greenwich England. So for the Eastern US Time Zone, subtract 4 hours (when Daylight Saving Time is in effect [Summer Solstice and Autumnal Equinox] and subtract 5 hours when Eastern Standard Time is in effect [Winter Solstice and Vernal Equinox]. For those out in the west, the Daylight Saving Time offset is subtracting 7 hours and for Standard Time, it's subtracting 8 hours.

For example, the Summer Solstice for 2005 occurs 2005-06-21 06:46:00Z or
  • 2005-06-21 02:46:00-04 EDT
  • 2005-06-21 01:46:00-05 CDT
  • 2005-06-21 00:46:00-06 MDT
  • 2005-06-20 23:46:00-07 PDT
So, the sunrise on 2005-06-21 is the Summer Solstice sunrise this year.
For those that are curious, the remainder of the thread discussing the astronomical phenomena is at: Link to FAQ: What is the astronomical meaning of Solstice?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Before the science there was the superstitious (fair and balanced forum)

Litha is also known as Midsummer, Midsummer's Eve, St. John's Eve, and Alban Hefin.

Correspondences
Symbolism: Honoring the God at His peak, honoring the pregnant Goddess

Symbols: Spear, cauldron, St. John's Wort, Sun images, faerie images, fire

Foods: Fresh fruits and vegetables, pumpernickel bread, ale, mead

Plants & herbs: Mugwort, chamomile, rose, ivy, wild thyme, lavender, orchid, yarrow, oak, vervain, St. John's Wort

Incense and oils: Lily of the valley, lavender, lemon

Colors: Orange, yellow, green, blue

Stones: Topaz, agate, alexandrite, flourite, moonstone, pearl, emerald, jade

Animals: Butterfly, frog, toad, wren, robin, peacock

Mythical creatures: Satyrs, faeries, firebirds, dragons, sylphs

Some appropriate Goddesses: all love, beauty, and mother Goddesses; Aestas (Roman), Aine of Knockaine (Irish), Anu (Irish), Aphrodite (Greek), Astarte (Canaanite), Bast (Egyptian), Elat (Semitic), Eos (Greek), Flora (Roman), Freya (Norse), Gaia (Greek), Gerd (Teutonic), Grianne (Irish), Hathor (Egyptian), Hera (Greek), Ishtar (Assyro-Babylonian), Isis (Egyptian), Juno (Roman), The Muses (Greek), Nut (Egyptian), Olwyn (Welsh), Venus (Roman), Vesta (Roman)

Some appropriate Gods: all sun, fire, and fertility Gods; Apollo (Greek), Baal (Phoenician), Baldur (Scandinavian), El (Semitic), Hadad (Babylonian), Helios (Greek), Hephaestus (Greek), Jupiter (Roman), Lugh (Irish), Osiris (Egyptian), Prometheus (Greek), Ra (Egyptian), Sol (Roman), Zeus (Greek)

Activities: Picnics, leave out food for faeries, jumping bonfires, gathering herbs.

Spell/ritual work: Healing, love magick, protection, purification, energy, faery.

:cool: :party:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If our Solstices were here already, I was thinking of heading over to the east coast to catch the sunrise and then driving over to watch the sunset on the west coast (of Florida) to celebrate. Oh well. :leaving:

·
Registered
251 Posts
SlySol said:
If our Solstices were here already, I was thinking of heading over to the east coast to catch the sunrise and then driving over to watch the sunset on the west coast (of Florida) to celebrate. Oh well. :leaving:

Imagine when the turbo comes out...maybe we can get from Boston to LA in about 15 hours... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
:lol: Only if you don't get pulled over though... :lol:
I was really wishing that my Solstice would be delivered today (by Vicki, but that's another thread) and was really hoping that Pontiac was pulling some sort of legendary suprise for us all (maybe even removing the mayan temple). But I guess that's not going to happen. I guess now I have to wait for my realistic expectations. I guess this is a good thing though, gives me time so save my pennies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts