Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, I decided to take my new ride out to the autocross here in San Diego. I have not run regularly for almost 13 years. Since that time about once a year. When I ran SCCA heavily I managed a 2nd in 1998 and a 3rd in 2000 at SCCA Solo2 Nationals. Have won multiple tours in different classes over the years. So back in the day, "I used to be fast".. probably about 3 years since I last ran...at least. People were as equally shocked to see me as they were to see what the heck was a coupe? Most had never seen one.
Well I was pleasantly surprised.
I had read around here the car now runs in AS as it's a GXP coupe. I have spoken with Alan Dahl a bit here and there and he couldn't remember if a coupe had ever ran heavily in SCCA.

There were 7 cars in AS. I know the cars in front of me and at least one behind me were running "sticky" tires, just for racing as such. I believe a 1LE Camaro and several Corvettes of various vintages were in front, with the 1LE winning.

I was 5th, BUT I was running on 320 rock hard Hankook tires. Nice street tire, but to hard to stick much. I was 2.7 seconds back on a 53 sec. course.

I'm happy, but want more.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sooooo, this brings me to "How do I find GXP ZOK suspension stuff"? I have been looking and getting bits here and there, but curious if anyone has some GXP ZOK package they aren't using or where to find some?

Does anyone still run theirs on a regular basis?

Would it be best if I searched the Kappa forum? (I have found lots of great info here, THANKS! )

·
Registered
140 Posts
Run it in CAM-S. Modifications are nearly free, so long as you stay with 200TW-rated tires and don't go below 2500lbs.
You'd be racing against C6 Corvettes, but they're required to weigh 2900lbs.

Class rules

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
You need to start with the Brace bundle and then the Z0k suspension kit, it will transform the car and of course new better tires.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I ran across this, but none of the sites say anything about this being the ZOK suspension kit

GM 17800834

DESCRIPTION Off Road Suspension Package
Designed and tested by GM Performance Parts, this performance suspension package includes larger front and rear sway bars, re-valved shock dampers and springs with higher rates for optimum handling. Package lowers vehicle by 7mm (0.275")

You'd also need the ZOK crossmember. GM 25877302.

ZOK installation thread:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/z0k-parts-installation-tutorial-sways-cross-member-58140/

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at that kit and pored over a lot of threads old and new to glean info. The short version is what slab8 said. If I want to run AS, I need the ZOK stuff. But the ZOK stuff for GXP is a little different than for NA cars. The "off road kit" essentially makes an FE2 car into a lowered FE3 car. The kit has some better shocks too.

I am trying to keep the car stock, which denies me the GMPP tune.. :( But then if I do the tune... all suspension gets open because I have to move to ASP...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have the rear ZOK brace... trying to locate rear ZOK springs for GXP is proving to be a problem.. used would be okay if anyone has any....

Geez, I used to think getting parts for my TVRs was difficult!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to get an update pic, but I have acumulated literally EVERY GM performance suspension part except rear GXP Z0K springs.... but have not installed any yet. HOWEVER I did get some light SSR rims in stock size and some Kuhmo Ecsta 720 tires and ran a longer course.. needed 3rd 3 times.. and still learning the car (and me all over again), but managed 3rd of 7 this past weekend..4 second off 3rd in a 2003 Z06 Vette and 1.1 secs off a 2011GS Vette.. pretty happy so far!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try to get an update pic, but I have acumulated literally EVERY GM performance suspension part except rear GXP Z0K springs.... but have not installed any yet. HOWEVER I did get some light SSR rims in stock size and some Kuhmo Ecsta 720 tires and ran a longer course.. needed 3rd 3 times.. and still learning the car (and me all over again), but managed 3rd of 7 this past weekend..4 second off 3rd in a 2003 Z06 Vette and 1.1 secs off a 2011GS Vette.. pretty happy so far!
By the way.. that read poorly. I was 4 tenths of a second off of 2nd place. :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the entire set up, installed, from my local GM dealer. I think I paid $2,500. I think it's time they reclass the GXP...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update here. This past event on a VERY fast course I was 1st of 7 after the 2nd and third runs, but a 2017 1LE Camaro dropped a second on his last run and bested me by .25 sec. Iam running the Z0K suspension.. (with N/A rear springs because I cannot locate LNF rear springs) and the GMPP shocks. Apparently the Kumhos are not the tire to run, so I am at that disadvantage. Overall I'm having a blast and and going fast! lol

Last results
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0f05dbe8d79b64ca3003c8550e474755&oe=5BF62D91

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pick up a set of Bridgestone RE 71R's. You will better your time considerably. Nothing out there compares to them still.
That's the plan, but I'm too poor to just throw out these new Kumhos with about 200 miles and about 13 race laps on them! :grin: Next year I suspect.. I'll just catch and conquer all I can in the meantime!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yahoo! I think the 50 mile drive or so on Saturday with the San Diego Kappa group helped me get a little more familiar with my coupe. Enough that I won my first event!!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's been a while, if anyone is interested. I mostly posted on some of the fb pages, but there is still great info here. As skersfan suggested, I went with the RE-71R tires. I DID finally locate the Z0K GXP rear springs, and with the SSR rims I had to run stock size RE-71Rs as they will not seat on the SSR rims. (Had a few people support this)

ANYWHO... I started winning..and if not winning, I was 2nd by thousandths of a sec a couple times..I finally aligned the car (the LR was almost positive camber, thus why I got nervous at speed through right turns on boost) I won the year end local! WOO HOO! Against a 2011 GS Vette, a 2013 Boxster and a 2019 Cayman S?... At the end of year, the Porsches were figuring out they had faster cars and I was looking for my next step.. (By the way, I got my old # 0 back..)
2019scca.png

Reactions: lexpioneer
1 - 20 of 25 Posts