Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a all pontiac car show today. There were two solstices. Mine and a 2009 flat black GXP coupe. After looking at the coupe I notice it had Wisconsin collector plates on it. I thought cars had to be 25 years old to get them.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Went to a all pontiac car show today. There were two solstices. Mine and a 2009 flat black GXP coupe. After looking at the coupe I notice it had Wisconsin collector plates on it. I thought cars had to be 25 years old to get them.
20 years old and you must have another vehicle registered.

Collector license plates - WisDOT

A collector plate costs twice as much as a normal plate....don't know why anyone would want!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
From the Wisconsin DMV site:

Vehicles that qualify
A motor vehicle at least 20 years old that is being preserved because of its historical interest is eligible for Collector license plates. The current calendar year minus 20 equals the newest model year eligible for Collector registration.

The guy must have taken them off another eligible collector car and put them on the Solstice for the show.

:dthumbs:

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
MomsSol : ..... A collector plate costs twice as much as a normal plate....don't know why anyone would want!
Assuming that I read the WisDOT website correctly, and further assuming that Wisconsin is like Kentucky in this, a collector plate never expires. You pay twice as much (plus a registration fee for the first one) up front, but never have to pay for it again.
DaveOC : ..... The guy must have taken them off another eligible collector car and put them on the Solstice for the show.
Further reading on the WisDOT website indicates that there is a "collector special" plate that you can get for your other vehicles once you have your first "collector vehicle" plate. It is an annual renewal just like a regular plate. My guess (without seeing a picture of the actual plate) is that the plate on the Sol was a "collector special", and not a "collector vehicle".

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
While DOT may legally issue an AMC Pacer collector/classic license plates it's probably a pretty good bet that it's the public @ large that determines if something is truly collectible.

We recently attended a car show and among all the classic cars sat one lone pristine Chevette (sign said owned by my parents). So while folks may have looked at it and went wow. Chances are it wasn't because it was gorgeous or superbly engineered.

Like in our case. We both looked and went wow (and then started laughing because we we're remembering the last several years of ownership it was used as a driveway 4-wheel greenhouse, along with that for several years my wife constantly reminded me she wasn't exactly happy she no longer had a place to store her early purchased perennials’ in.

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
There is a difference between something that is collectible and something that is a good investment, but many people tend to incorrectly use the descriptors interchangeably. There are a number of things that are collectible that will never be a good investment.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There is a difference between something that is collectible and something that is a good investment, but many people tend to incorrectly use the descriptors interchangeably. There are a number of things that are collectible that will never be a good investment.
My wife has said that about me several times.:lol:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
FWIW...In Ohio, you can get collector plates for your Kappa if you can provide documentation that the vehicle was in limited production by the manufacturer. So yes, I'd say a coupe is pretty limited production!

From the Ohio DMV website:

"Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven."

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

In KY, the rules about collector plates are a bit vague. It suggests that you are not supposed to use said vehicle for regular transportation but I'm not sure what that means. The rumor mill said for parades and to/from shows only, but I don't know if I believe that.

MVL.ky.gov - Historic Vehicle License Plate

"As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "historic vehicle" shall mean all motor vehicles twenty-five (25) years old or older, which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and other special uses, but not for general transportation."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts