Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been into music from the songs my mother played on the AM radio when I was a kid, through being a DJ on the radio in the late 70's until tonight in my den.

I'd like to invite you all to share the songs that meant something to you and the reasons why. From the "rip it up on the road" to "chill it out at night" - please share this song and "why".

I start with the Doobie Brothers "South City Midnight Lady" because it was on the 8-track of the Doobie's greatest hits that my junior high basketball team played over and over on bus trips. (And over and over and over.) It was a song that we eagerly skipped over at that time. But to this day I sing it out loud, especially if my lady is sitting next to me.

In the Solstice.

You sure have saved this man whose soul was in need.

·
Registered
195 Posts
CW, I like the idea of this. I believe it brings something personal to the forum.

My problem is there are way too many songs that have personal meaning in my life. But if I had to choose just one, CHANGES by David Bowie would have to top the list.

In my younger days I heard this on the radio while enroute to an experience I knew would "somehow" have a life changing effect on my future. During that event, while in the depths of physical, psychological and emotional stress, the words of this song kept running through my head and helped me endure.

To this day when I hear it on the radio, I know something is coming in my life that will most likely be odd, but beneficial.

Purchasing my Solstice was one such event. Owning it has been a blessing to my family and myself.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
My father, every Saturday morning after morning cartoons, would play records for several hours for me from as earlier as I can remember until my teenage years. Until I was a teenager, I was not allowed to touch his records, or his stereo! And then, I had to be "certified" by him that I could put the needle down without scratching them! To this day he has a collection of over 5000 records.
These were the 2 that I remember and were my favorites growing up:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
This one because of my Little Red Devil Solstice... or good drums!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Ghost - I really like the Loggins and Messina. Sadly, Pooh Corner reflects an innocence society appears to have lost.

The nostalgia brings up Danny's Song, my inspiration as a teen for what I thought my (future) marriage would be like.

Now, after 36 years of marriage, I'm thinking Angry Eyes is more appropriate.

:huh:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've posted this elsewhere, so if you find it redundant, please humor me.

Jason Becker was an up and coming rock guitarist in the late 80's when he was diagnosed with ALS. With a few years he was unable to play and eventually move or speak. 6 years is the average prognosis for an ALS patient. It's been 30 years and he recently released his latest album at the end of '18. He composes by using his eyes on a screen that his parents and caregivers interpret.

At a young age he was constantly studying all genre's of music and understood classical arrangements very well. Many of his songs incorporated this knowledge, even the "heavier" rock tunes.

Weather here has sucked so far this summer. It's been gloomy, colder than usual and rainy as hell. The 70% change of thunderstorms was holding off so my better half and I pushed to get as much done outside as possible. I had my music player plugged into my stereo in my pole barn, set on "shuffle" as I kept trying to check one more thing off of the list. Some time later I was returning to my pole barn and I heard this song - echoing off of the trees and accompanied by the leaves rustling in the wind.

I stopped, looked around and thought "Damn, what an absolutely beautiful day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I remember an Archies "record" on the back of a cereal box when I was a kid!
I just found out in the last few years. The Archies came about by the Monkeys wanting to go on tour and play their own instruments. The founder said a cartoon dosnt care about going on tour its just easier. I like them both their songs held up well over the years

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
First time we did PCH I flew the wife in to LA. We stayed in Crestline, did Angeles Crest Highway the next morning and worked our way over to Santa Monica to cruise PCH North. We were in Malibu when Ocean Drive popped up on the playlist. Perfect!

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I just found out in the last few years. The Archies came about by the Monkeys wanting to go on tour and play their own instruments. The founder said a cartoon dosnt care about going on tour its just easier. I like them both their songs held up well over the years
Do you remember any of the others on their "Everything's Archie" album after Sugar Sugar? I do, i listened to it every Saturday for about 13 years...LOL Deep down, I think the reason my dad cherished it and played it so much was because it was the first "gift" my mother gave him when they were dating. :')

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I've always thought that this piece of music was suitable for aggressive driving....>:)

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
I've always thought that this piece of music was suitable for aggressive driving....>:)
Oh, absolutely. I should have gotten a ticket one day, but I think the trooper appreciated that song (that was still playing when he walked up to the car).
He did suggest that I listen to less "stimulating" music in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts