Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When SF suggested going to Ouray for a regional or national in 2018 I was initially skeptical. Its a very nice town but what makes it great for off roaders at first blush makes it potentially less attractive to cruisers looking for twisties. Kind of one road in and one road out is paved.

But then I started doing some terrain / map analysis and was happy to discover that in fact there are a lot of very cool opportunities for great cruises in and around Ouray. We have been with the club to all these destinations but for Black Canyon and they are all great places to visit and enjoy and best of all the roads to / from them are some of the most fun roads we have experienced.

So with SF, we are looking at holding some kind of event in 2018. Certainly a regional. Wish us luck.

Ouray to Gateway car museum = 2.5 hours a destination car museum that is GREAT along with at least two nice restaurants at the Gateway Resort. Very nice roads. Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

Ouray to Telluride = 1 hour. Its Telluride, what more can I say.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluride,_Colorado
https://www.telluride.com/things-do/shopping

Ouray to Grand Junction = 2 hours Shopping, and restaurants also another car museum there with some exotics. Nice small down town area for strolling around and spending some time.

Ouray to Arches = 3 hours Wonderful drive through park with huge vistas. Food, shopping in Moab just down the road. Full day trip Arches National Park in Utah | Utah.com

Ouray to Durango = 2 hours Shopping, eating, see the train. Or even ride it if they are inclined. Great train ride. Highly recommended. If you like trains this is the place to visit. Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

Ouray to Silverton = 1 hour Real old west town. No air. Shopping, food etc. Silverton is a unique experience for sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverton,_Colorado

Ouray to Colorado National Monument = 2.5 hours Mini Grand Canyon. Fun day trip with lots of places to stop for pictures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_National_Monument

Ouray to Mesa Verde = 3 hours Leave early, spend half a day at the park, come home late afternoon. Or you can just visit four corners. Its where four states come together at a single point. https://www.nps.gov/meve/learn/historyculture/cliff_dwellings_home.htm

Ouray to Black Canyon of the Gunnison = 1 hour Have not been there but its supposed to be very senic.

Ouray to Dead Horse Point = 4 hours This is in some cases better than the grand canyon and the drive there is loads of fun. In fact while the scenery is breath taking, the road leading there is even better. https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

Ouray to Capitol Reef = 5 hours Possible but very long day. The road is AWSOME. Very little traveled and lots of curves, empty two lane in good condition, speeds range from 15 to 115. LOL. Ice cream, fruit pies and the visitors center at Capitol Reef.

Ouray to Grand Mesa = 2.5 hours Fun drive through mix of twisties and moderate speed two lane. Great view over the Grand Mesa Ends up at Palisades or GJ if you continue as a loop. Grand Mesa | Visit Grand Junction

Ouray to Palisade = 2 hours Wine capitol of the region. Lots of Palisade Peaches, wineries all over the place. The annual Wine festival happens here

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Wow, give me a date. We've been all over this area on two wheels and can't wait to do it in our Solstice. Not sure what I can do to help from Missouri, but put me down as an enthusiastic warm body.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
If you're doing a week long event then why not have it be the national event rather then a regional???

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Thanks Rob for posting all the fantastic information. I was afraid I was beginning to sound like part of the Chamber or Commerce.

Some one mentioned the possibility the other day of two Nationals/regionals, one on the eastern side and one on the western side of the country. Personally I think there would be more attendance that way, but who knows.

I will be spending ten days there in July, meeting with the organizer and the Director of the FJ Summit, whohas promised any help they can give.

I have spoken with the boss, and she has agreed Kentucky will be a great adventure next year, so we are in for that. I can see us making a long trip. Excited to see what JR sets up. A mutual friend says it will be fantastic.

We have a lot of new people on the site, getting them to a large event is a huge deal in my mind. Once you attend an event like that, you are normally hooked, the more that come and attend these events the more the car is on display and the desire for it grows.

Again Rob, thanks for showering some sunlight on my favorite little place in the world.

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're doing a week long event then why not have it be the national event rather then a regional???
We are two years out. Wanted to start the process for an event but not closing the door on others who might want to try Canada or the east coast. I am good either way. A past "regional" in this same location but basically a one day happening attracted a lot of people from Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. If it turns out this is the only candidate then so be it

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
I think the question of "Regional or National" should be answered by when you want to have the event, and what you intend to include. If your intention is a June event, go ahead and call it the National, or at least a Proposed National, and see who else tosses their hat into the ring. If this year (2017) is any indication you'll be hosting the National in 2018. Then again, odd years tend to be down relative to the evens, so there may be more interest.

One of the concerns we have always had involves vendors, and how they would cope with two major events in one year. We have a limited number, who are working with a limited customer base, and it has generally been thought to be unreasonable to expect them to attend multiple events in the same year, but especially within a short time-span. A vendor can only be expected to attend an event if they can see a reasonable return for their investment, and planning two events competitively will split their customer base to the point that it may not make sense for them to attend either event.

In 2008 we had a Regional in Lexington in mid-August that co-existed rather well (I think) with that year's National in Las Vegas. We had both geographic and chronologic separation and everyone seemed rather happy with the situation.

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with your assessment. The fact that the vendors are closer to eastern locations is also a factor. At the 09 Nationals we had many of the active vendors in attendance but others who wanted to come could not afford the time and cost. And since then we have lost great vendors like JPM who have moved on to other markets.

We will continue to develop the plan and see where it ends up.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Ouray sounds interesting. I've been to Durango several times. Drove from there to Ouray (in a rental), rode the train, been to Mesa Verde. I'd like to have an NASSAM there, but 2 years is too far out to plan on.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
We'd love to join in on a Regionals/Nationals in Ouray. Been wanting to do that area ever since acquiring my Coupe. If you need any additional graphics help, I'd be willing to provide my talents and services.
Keep us informed as this develops.
Steve & Dar

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a very good customer in Montrose for several years and spent many weeks there. The drive from Montrose to Teluride is fantastic.

East vs West? You can't get much closer to the Continental Divide than Silverton. It's all down hill from there, whichever way you drive.

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have begun designing events. We have some ideas that we hope will be of interest.

One of the ideas is to offer evening activities for different groups of people. In the nationals we have attended, after the runs everyone is pretty much on their own to entertain themselves. A lot of us ended up sitting around the parking lot trading stories or going into town and drinking.

We have several potential . .. activities.

Cars and Movies. I have 2500 movies to choose from. We can take a poll and see what people want to see on any given night. Car theme movies like the Fast and Furious series. John Wayne movie night. The Thin Man. Harry Potter. Lots of available options. Show the movies in the parking lot. Provide popcorn and snacks.

Campfire sing along. We have some people who love to share their skills with others and we can do an old fashioned campfire night. Make smoors .. toast marshmallows. Just simple stuff.

Trivia night. Offer small prizes for trivia contests. Have teams with a moderator.

Detail under the lights. Hold classes in how to detail your beauty nightly in small groups. Hold a raffle for the person who's car is the subject of the detail each night.

Caring for you Kappa sessions. Some of you have seen some of my list of things to do to your cars to keep them young and functioning well for a long time. How to treat rubber, lubricating all the little mechanisms that can cause problems. Things the go bump in the night. During these sessions we could also help people with simple installs. Windrestrictors, cup holder repairs, top plastic tab replacement, installing LED lights and load resistors. People coordinate ahead of time with what they need done and we will help them do the work. Not competing with the venders but doing things that we frequently do on Garage Day for the club members and that the venders really don't have time to do. I really need to figure out how to get my lift to the event so you can inspect the bottom of your car! its something that many people want to do.

We are also considering setting up a coffee bar with music. Maybe a little "sock hop" in the parking lot. I also have 15000 songs.

If you have additional ideas or suggestions, feel free to share them with me either here or via PM or email.

As for cruises, we are considering a range of cruise options that go from do it yourself to guided tours. We are looking at a couple of potentially new options.

One is offering a night time cruise. The terrain is beautiful in the day light but at night it takes on a totally different character. Slow and easy down the mountain to a destination for night time viewing and pictures like we have not had the opportunity to enjoy before.

Another is over night cruises. For people who want to take advantage of the Nationals and still enjoy what Colorado has to offer, we will design over night cruises to destinations that offer touristy things to do. Drive to Durango, ride the train. Spend the night enjoying the old western town, then travel back to Ouray and the Nationals a day later. Other destinations are Moab where you can visit Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point. In the evening, there are plenty of things to do like the Dinner Cruise on the Colorado River. Our club has done this several times and its always a lot of fun. While in Moab there is lots of shopping available as well as a fun time walking around enjoying the people and restaurants. Another over night cruise is to the Palisades whine country. There are several great wineries there and its a lot of fun to roam around sampling the grape and enjoying the sights. Spend a leisurely day there, get a good nights sleep then motor back to Ouray for more organized fun.

One of the comments we have heard a lot is that cruises are too fast, don't stop enough, people spend all their time hanging on or driving and don't get to see the scenery. We are looking at ways to create a cruise experience that will allow people who like to stay in the slow lane and smell the flowers opportunities to do just that. One way to do that is to keep cruise sizes small enough so the guide can keep everyone in sight and together so those in the rear are not racing to catch up. Small groups also make it easier to stop more frequently for pictures and breaks. So we are looking at that.

We know that there are a group of people who will not feel that they have experienced Colorado unless they have done it tightening their seat belts and gripping the wheel hard. We are looking at cruises that will provide these participants with what they are looking for. Safety is the first consideration but there are roads in this part of the state that are fast at slow speeds due to a combination of elevation change, tight corners and narrow terrain. You can thrill yourself at 20 MPH on some of them. I have mapped out several alternatives and next year will be looking for input from drivers on which they would like to experience.

There is a lot more, but just wanted to let everyone know that while Kentucky is the place to be in 2017, we are taking advantage of our time to plan a new kind of event for 2018 in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
wow ... good thoughts...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd go to Colorado, was born there and my wife would love it.

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow ... good thoughts...
Thanks

Drop your ideas on us please.

I really need to get my portable lift there :grin:

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is not just for 2018, Rob. I'd like to see it at all meets.

Set up a booth or just a table in the parking lot with a large WELCOME / INFORMATION sign over it. It should be manned as long as there are people around, but it would contain a basic info sheet about Kappas and our annual meets and the car show as well as any flyers that clubs from around the country would provide about their activities. There would be business cards touting the forums. There could also be some handouts from vendors. I've seen stuff from specialized insurance companies, car care products, sample size bottles of bug removers, etc. And of course, anything that is for sale in the registration area could also be made available to the general public outside.

In general, we cater to our own but don't market our hobby to others. Let's invite them in.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts