Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on preliminary specs, how successful do you think the Solstice might be in autocrossing? I imagine with good tires, it could be pretty mean.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good catch on the camber - hadn't even really noticed that.

So, think Pontiac will take the Solstice racing? Looks like they are getting pretty serious into it again - the GTO will be in the national drifting series, as well as another. Cadillac is also going to be racing the CTS-V, so it seems that GM is definitely getting serious about the track. Can't wait to see the C6-R also!

·
Registered
281 Posts
GMFan said:
Based on preliminary specs, how successful do you think the Solstice might be in autocrossing? I imagine with good tires, it could be pretty mean.
im going to test that query as soon as possible. i'd like to see a lot of low-end grunt and some adjustable shocks.

i'd also like to see some specs on the automatic tranny they plan to offer. 4l60-E?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: Re: Thoughts on autocrossing?

Bizz said:
im going to test that query as soon as possible. i'd like to see a lot of low-end grunt and some adjustable shocks.

i'd also like to see some specs on the automatic tranny they plan to offer. 4l60-E?
You are not saying you plan to autocross with an auto tranny are you? Blasphemy! LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on autocrossing?

Darkhamr said:
You are not saying you plan to autocross with an auto tranny are you? Blasphemy! LOL
yeah, i know. i guess it would depend on how the solstice is geared.

lemme splain:
in my limited experience autoxing, i think my auto has been an advantage. with the lever left in first, it will automatically upshift to 2nd at redline, tho not to any higher gear than that. i dont need a higher gear since i can get into the 90s in second. when speed drops enough, it drops back into first. the manual vettes i run against run the whole course in second or higher (even the stoopid-fast ones). coupled with the excessive low-end torque i have, i am able to power out of corners quicker than they can. this is the only advantage i have, heh. also, because i am FWD, im on the throttle, at least somewhat, throughout all but the very slowest of corners and my converter is always engaged. now that i have a quaife diff and 3.69 gears, i should be able to put down even more power exiting a corner. last year, i was also on a bone-stock suspension save 17x8 wheels w/BFG all season radials. this year tho, things will be different.:wink

i realize all that might not translate well to RWD. but im lucky. i think my dad will get a solstice, too. if he gets an auto, we can see which is better since i cannot see myself not getting a stick.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well if it works for ya. :thumbs

I would love to get a Quaife for my Tib, but because of the cost it is a little further down my list of upgrades for now. :(

·
Registered
281 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Well if it works for ya. :thumbs

I would love to get a Quaife for my Tib, but because of the cost it is a little further down my list of upgrades for now. :(
man, you have got to get one!:smile you ever drive a prelude SH with their torque biasing diff? its like that but better. when you add power out of a corner, you can feel the front end pull itself around and not push out. excellent at the strip, too. no chance of a one wheel burnout and fraggin the diff.

·
Registered
281 Posts
2006solstice said:
Bizz - you may have posted it somewhere else, but what are you putting down in terms of power?
good question, i have no idea, but i will know soon. i was actually at a dyno this past weekend getting some minor changes in the pcm done, but i have a loud popping noise from the front end upon engaging gear from park. it didnt think it wise to stress it so far from home. so, im guessing enough power to either break the CV joint or a tranny mount. :smile and :(

october of 02 i ran a 13.4 @100.7 with far fewer mods than i have now. i was unable to run at all last year. based on the trap speed and a weight of 3600 (best lowball guess) a calculator i used put me at ~280. i have no idea how accurate these calcs are. i know how lame this all sounds :smile , but in a couple of months i'll have all my stuff on the car and im going to dyno at a couple of different shops. i'll use the lowest of those numbers and post them or PM you if you want.

heres the calc i used: http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/calculators.htm#0

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bizz said:
man, you have got to get one!:smile you ever drive a prelude SH with their torque biasing diff? its like that but better. when you add power out of a corner, you can feel the front end pull itself around and not push out. excellent at the strip, too. no chance of a one wheel burnout and fraggin the diff.
Oh I believe it, but I promised the wife no more major investments in the Tib if I'm planning on changing to the Solstice in 12-18 months. :wink Though, just last night she mentioned possibly keeping the Tib for her. Either way that was my first and last fwd.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My current Fiero is a *lot* nicer on breaking things than the V-8 Sunbird was. To stay with the Porsches on the average I was wearing out two tires and breaking one wheel every weekend.

Over the years I went through three transmissions, broke two axles (and 7.5" posi axles are not easy to come by, and had to reweld all of the front suspention and shock mounts. What finally did the car in was complete separation of the rear A-arm mount from the "chassis".

305 V-8 was dead reliable though not very efficient and won an incredible number of autocrosses (got so I could not win any more, only lose, and the fun kinda went away). OTOH have had no problems with the Fiero once sorted out (other than the a/c clutch), just have to remember to load the front suspension before really cranking into a turn (slow hands) to avoid unladen understeer.

All of that said, a true electronic paddle control automatic trans is feasible today (wasn't even a decade ago). No real weight penalty and provided you have complete control and instant response, would be just as fast.

Can think of a few times when using massive overtorque and a clutch allowed me to pin the nose on a pylon and just walk the rear end around with the Sunbird. OTOH you cannot do that with the Fiero, same technique would wash the front end out, and is just as fast, just different.

Still can see replacing the Fiero (or maybe just retiring it) with a Solstice and going autocrossing. Will say that if the answer for maximum acceleration is the s/c engine then I would look closely at a paddle or rachet shifting automatic. Maybe they'll bring back the "His and Hers".

Solstice sounds even better than either of them and much better balanced. A lot will depend on what class they are put in and whether a limited slip differential is available (doesn't affect EPA certification so hopefully will be an option). As far as I am concerned for tight gates it is absolutely essential if you are going to win and not just putter around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts