Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is the below trip computer was added only to the 2008 model and was not present before 2008. I'm not sure I like it - it seems to stick out and could be an irritant. Do you guys like this accessory? I'm wondering if the 2009 model had it as well.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
That is aftermarket.....the Solstice never had this... The only LNF that had it was the Cobalt SS and it either had an analog boost gauge, or an actual digital 3"x3" screen...

EDIT: I don't know what years it can be added too, but I know that an '08-'09 ECM will NOT work in an '07 and vice versa as they changed the internal architecture....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure this is a mod? I really thought this was part of the car and was considered the 'trip computer' that I read about as being the new added item for the 2008 model.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The trip computer is part of the DIC (Driver Information Console) - the white text display on the right in this image:

Certain it was available well before 2008 though. Maybe it was made standard in '08? :huh:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled up Edmunds for the 2008 Solstice and for the section that explains 'What's New in 2008' it said this --> The 2008 Pontiac Solstice receives a few formerly optional features as standard this year. Both the base and turbocharged GXP versions now include OnStar, an acoustic headliner for the soft top and a trip computer. An upgraded audio system with satellite radio and MP3 playback for the CD player is also part of the deal.

So what do you think those 2 yellow nodules are in the picture I posted on the first post of this thread? Do you think it was some additional option equipment the buyer put on there? The fact it says GXP on each nodule would seem to indicate it's not just some random car accessory bought at AutoZone. This is confusing.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
The trip computer is part of the DIC (Driver Information Console) - the white text display on the right in this image:

Certain it was available well before 2008 though. Maybe it was made standard in '08? :huh:
If what you are talking about is the ability to record mileage for a trip as in Trip A or Trip B then my 2007 GXP has it as part of the DIC that TS has pictured. The original picture is of the DDM Gauge pod which many of us have. I have it and have an Autometer air / fuel and boost gauges in it. I do like the yellow faces in the picture but I find the double GXP a bit too much. I saw this car parked at the Poconnos Nationals this year and admired it. A couple of days ago I saw it on EBay for sale. I knew the car by this mod.:thumbs:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I knew the car by this mod.
Sorry for the rookie questions here but can you explain how one would add this mod on? Is it a side accessory that one could have bought from Pontiac at the time and put on their car? Or is this a mod that someone just fabricated using parts from an auto store and installed? I'm thinking I don't want this on the solstice I buy and am getting concerned over the number of solstics cars out there that previous buyers have 'altered'. I prefer OEM - I'm a purist. The yellow nodules that match the car color and say GXP had me fooled that this came standard in the 08 model.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
As NorthernSol said - "The original picture is of the DDM Gauge pod which many of us have. I have it and have an Autometer air / fuel and boost gauges in it."

Those gauges in the photo look like Autometer ones also, but they could be any standard sized circular aftermarket gauges. The owner has obviously customized the faces. If you were to happen to get these in your car it would be an easy job to sell them to another Sky/Solstice owner. Many folks would pay you for them (and swap their OEM panel).

You seem to be in a real panic about something that might not occur. Why don't you find a car to buy first, and THEN panic over what it includes?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
You buy it from DDM Performance. It goes where you roriginal factory A pillar piece is. Keep the original and you can always bring it back to factory. I got mine once I had the GMPP tune installed. I find it easier to see the "boost" up here than in the DIC.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As NorthernSol said - "The original picture is of the DDM Gauge pod which many of us have. I have it and have an Autometer air / fuel and boost gauges in it."

Those gauges in the photo look like Autometer ones also, but they could be any standard sized circular aftermarket gauges. The owner has obviously customized the faces. If you were to happen to get these in your car it would be an easy job to sell them to another Sky/Solstice owner. Many folks would pay you for them (and swap their OEM panel).

You seem to be in a real panic about something that might not occur. Why don't you find a car to buy first, and THEN panic over what it includes?
Not panicking at all - just trying to understand more about the car and figure out which year I want. I was turned off by the 2008 thinking they all had these 2 gauges on the side. Now that I know it's an add-on and not standard equipment the 2008 is back on my radar. I know I want GXP, and in Mean Yellow. But the year is up for grabs still. The reason I joined this site was to learn as much about this car as possible. One big thing I have learned now is to be on the lookout for 'mods' and other adjustments made. I'm a purist - I want my car to be unmodified.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Sorry for the rookie questions here but can you explain how one would add this mod on? Is it a side accessory that one could have bought from Pontiac at the time and put on their car? Or is this a mod that someone just fabricated using parts from an auto store and installed? I'm thinking I don't want this on the solstice I buy and am getting concerned over the number of solstics cars out there that previous buyers have 'altered'. I prefer OEM - I'm a purist. The yellow nodules that match the car color and say GXP had me fooled that this came standard in the 08 model.
How one would add them depends on what you want to see. If you want AFR (air fuel ratio, very IMPORTANT on the LNF motor), you would have to either tap into the wide-band sensor, or add a new one. If you want boost pressure, you would have to add it somewhere after the turbo. If you want how hot the cat is, you would have to put it close to after the cat. I can go on and on. The easiest way to put these in, is to buy the ones that attach to the OBDII port and then you can program whatever you want to see. As far as who will have these....very few people that haven't changed out their turbo or added a turbo/supercharger to an NA. It's very important to watch specific sensors very closely when you put a bigger turbo on, or a more aggressive tune. At this stage in the game, it maybe a very hard task to find an unmolested car. Most will have a tune, exhaust, CAI or something. If you're looking for a car that will really be worth something, go with an '09 and preferably a coupe...But make sure no matter year you go with, its a GXP.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
Those gauges look like dual Aeroforce Interceptors (hook into the ODBII) with custom faces. I have one mounted on top of my steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
My 08 and 06 have identical features and there's really no real difference. I'd shop for engine, tranny, color, mileage and price and not worry too much about year. the 09's are probably the only one you'll be able to get a GM warranty with so you might consider that. I bought a GM extd but haven't had the need yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about this guys - is this a mod as well? I'm looking at the yellow thingy inside the wheelbase and wondering if this was standard or a mod as well. I dont' even know what it is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, that's it. You've GOT to be a troll.
Not sure what you're upset about but since you can't answer the question I will wait for an answer from someone who does know. I'm not ashamed to say there's a lot I don't know about the Solstice and would like to learn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those Calipers look Great. I have painted mine red and have placed the Solstice decals on them that I purchased from ASAP Graphics. What I would do is find out who had the car before you and attempt to contact them. There may be some other surprises installed on Mean Yellow that are not in view. Good looking car!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The car is listed on ebay with only 4000 miles - it's the same car with the extra trip computers I posted the pic of in the first post above. I found out in this thread that those were not standard and were added on. Wondering how much else is non-standard in this car now. I've never seen a Solstice with a color matching caliper so I thought it might be something different than a caliper and was some add-on mod the owner had installed.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Good luck

Looking at the pics on fleaBay there is quite a bit of cosmetic flair under the hood but no GMPP power upgrade and no apparent mechanical changes. Rear lower fascia has been painted yellow to match body color.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts