Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods,

Does thread merging reduce bandwidth? Maybe I'm not up on etiquette, but it seems like we tend to get way off topic in alot of threads to the point that new threads should be started. Instead, there has been a trend lately of merging threads that are related to one another. I'm not really so much griping as just trying to understand.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's mainly for coherency. There's no need for 5 threads discussing the same thing when they can all be in the same place. It makes it much easier to locate and keep track of information.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Another thing that seems to be happening is new members can't find the type of info that they are looking for, so they ask the same questions in supplemental threads. Sometimes the thread title is severely deceptive, though most threads have had reasonable titles.

With the number of new members now joining, the fragmentation went through a severe burst of splintering and duplication right after the Apprentice episode. I know that for my self, I must have answered the exact same questions on average 6 or 7 times, each time on a different thread on the same subject.

Thread merging is GREAT! Keep up the good work. My hat's off to the moderating team. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There's a reason :brentil: exists. Crimson Avenger's explenation is pretty much the reason. :D

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, that about clears it up then.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
There's a reason :brentil: exists. Crimson Avenger's explenation is pretty much the reason. :D
:brentil: has been moderately silent in regards to the recent influx of newbies as they seem to have gotten away with freebies on the :brentil: ies.
(no doubt due to a kindler, gentler forum)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Another thing that seems to be happening is new members can't find the type of info that they are looking for, so they ask the same questions in supplemental threads. Sometimes the thread title is severely deceptive, though most threads have had reasonable titles.

With the number of new members now joining, the fragmentation went through a severe burst of splintering and duplication right after the Apprentice episode. I know that for my self, I must have answered the exact same questions on average 6 or 7 times, each time on a different thread on the same subject.

Thread merging is GREAT! Keep up the good work. My hat's off to the moderating team. :thumbs:
Hopefully, by merging some duplicte threads, it will help people find information if they bother to search. Now, I know from experience that it is wishful thinking that the search will get used, but if you search a topic, it would be better to find one all inclusive thread rather than 100's of short threads that are all related.

2KWK4U said:
Mods,

Does thread merging reduce bandwidth? Maybe I'm not up on etiquette, but it seems like we tend to get way off topic in alot of threads to the point that new threads should be started. Instead, there has been a trend lately of merging threads that are related to one another. I'm not really so much griping as just trying to understand.
Its really not a bandwidth issue. I doubt Solsticeforum makes a big dent in Troy's 4 servers, at least not like Corvetteforum does! :willy: As Brentil said, the merging is more to keep things organized.

We can split threads that get off topic, and have split threads on occasion too. If a good new topic breaks out in a prior thread, we may split it off. However, sometimes "off topic" can also just be a natural progression of a topic, and it may not necessarily warrant its own thread. Also, we get off topic, or progress away from the original topic a lot. If we split too many up into new threads, we run the risk of making things messy too. I guess its just a judgement call on our part on whether we should split a thread or leave it as is.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Also if merging a new thread with an older one we'll keep the older thread and merge into that so the history is kept.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If an old thread has a lot of good info in it, it can help answer the questions better. Its kinda like having a bunch of people answer the question at once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts