Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Solstice GXP with 91,000 miles went in recently for an oil change and a engine check as it has been running a little rough at idle and under light load. I was told it need a full fuel system cleaning especially the throttle body. I said yes to the cleaning and boy am I glad I did as my engine is running very smooth and takes off from a standing stop smoothly with more power. I bought the car 4 years ago and it seems that the former owner never had the throttle body cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
My 2008 Solstice GXP with 91,000 miles went in recently for an oil change and a engine check as it has been running a little rough at idle and under light load. I was told it need a full fuel system cleaning especially the throttle body. I said yes to the cleaning and boy am I glad I did as my engine is running very smooth and takes off from a standing stop smoothly with more power. I bought the car 4 years ago and it seems that the former owner never had the throttle body cleaned.
I'm curious about how they cleaned the throttle body, and what was in it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Surely they did more than just clean the throttle body. Must have more info on the work order?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Actually a number of people have reported dirty and sticking butterfly valves in throttle bodies here on the fora. To clean it, you just undo the clamp and pull off the L-shaped rubber intake tube under the TB and spray liberally with TB cleaner. That will loosen the gunk that's been ingested and let the butterfly move freely again.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'm sure they did a fuel induction service....which is fine on an NA car...and actually good for it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
OP said GXP
Huh...don't remember seeing that when I posted my response. But there is no "edited" in his original post.

Well....I would be interested to see what they did as well because there are TSBs on NOT to do a fuel induction service on a DI motor from GM....

Make sure you save your receipt, you might need it down the road to go after the dealership for a new turbo....

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Actually a number of people have reported dirty and sticking butterfly valves in throttle bodies here on the fora. To clean it, you just undo the clamp and pull off the L-shaped rubber intake tube under the TB and spray liberally with TB cleaner. That will loosen the gunk that's been ingested and let the butterfly move freely again.
have done this on many of my cars over the years. cleaning butterfly edges and their mating surfaces in the intake will show a real improvement at idle, when the butterfly is nearly closed is when the effects of gunk buildup are at their worst.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts