Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I've been having quite a few problems happening at once with my Solstice recently. Biggest being my alternator, so as I was going in to removing alternator-blocking parts to access it, I noticed a build up of what appears to be oil on the inside of the throttle body. I found this forum post that seemed similar but wanted to clarify before doing anything as they mentioned sea form a lot + that post was for LNF motors and I have an LE5...

This picture doesn't convey the liquid state it's in very well, but it's noticeably colored dark and when I removed the host a little oil/sludge dripped down in to the engine bay.
As some back story, about 5 months back when I was working on something else in the car, I noticed the PCV hose was severed with no explanation offered. I replaced it as soon as I noticed, but I don't know how long I was driving around with it like that. This seems to somewhat align with what the aforementioned post is saying about the throttle body sludge being a result of a malfunctioning (severed hose in my case?) PCV.

The other issue I've been having recently are these 3 repeating CEL codes. They came on and off for a little while but now haven't gone off for a couple months. No idea what is causing it or whether it's related to this PCV stuff. I figured it was my cracked exhaust manifold, but I have since replaced that with a brand new one and torqued all bolts to spec, reset codes, and yet they came back.

Any insight as to what might be going on here and how to go about fixing the throttle body deposit would be greatly appreciated! I'm assuming I can just clean it with some engine degreaser and hope it doesn't come back now that the PCV hose is fixed?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is no PCV valve in the 2.4 engine. Just a hose connecting the crankcase to the intake. Did you notice any oil residue anywhere near that severed hose that may have come from the crankcase? Do you use an oiled air filter such as a K&N filter? Are you using oil between oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
7,348 Posts
Your codes are all associated with the upstream, or number 1, oxygen sensor and are not directly related to the PCV hose or the sludge in your intake. You most likely have a failed oxygen sensor, although it is possible that the wiring is damaged. It is also possible, but considerably less likely, that the ECM itself has a problem.

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I remember correctly, there is no PCV valve in the 2.4 engine. Just a hose connecting the crankcase to the intake. Did you notice any oil residue anywhere near that severed hose that may have come from the crankcase? Do you use an oiled air filter such as a K&N filter? Are you using oil between oil changes?
Not that I got my eyes on, but there was some sort of coloration around where the hose goes in. It's visible in the link above: Does anyone know what this hose is for?. Been there since I got the car from my uncle a year ago until I took some engine degreaser and brake cleaner to it to clean it up.

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your codes are all associated with the upstream, or number 1, oxygen sensor and are not directly related to the PCV hose or the sludge in your intake. You most likely have a failed oxygen sensor, although it is possible that the wiring is damaged. It is also possible, but considerably less likely, that the ECM itself has a problem.
Gotcha. Thanks for the ideas! I'll research ways to ID bad oxygen sensors since taking the car in to a shop is out of my price range right now. Where are all the upstream oxygen sensors located? I presume this means anything upstream of the exhaust system, i.e. not the cat, exhaust pipe, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the ideas! I'll research ways to ID bad oxygen sensors since taking the car in to a shop is out of my price range right now. Where are all the upstream oxygen sensors located? I presume this means anything upstream of the exhaust system, i.e. not the cat, exhaust pipe, etc?
The upstream oxygen sensor is in the exhaust manifold right above where it bolts to the catalytic convertor. You could have damaged the wiring when you changed the exhaust manifold. If that is the CEL problem, It is an easy $35.00 fix. Looks sort of like a large spark plug with about 8" of wire with an electrical connector on the end.

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The upstream oxygen sensor is in the exhaust manifold right above where it bolts to the catalytic convertor. You could have damaged the wiring when you changed the exhaust manifold. If that is the CEL problem, It is an easy $35.00 fix.
Gotcha. I'll try to test continuity between each terminal and opposite end of the wires with a multimeter - that said, the CEL has been on since before I messed with the exhaust manifold. The heat shield rusted off quite some time ago, and has been sitting on the manifold sort of crooked. I haven't been able to source a replacement yet, so maybe the heat damaged the wiring/sensor. Just an idea

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Gotcha. I'll try to test continuity between each terminal and opposite end of the wires with a multimeter - that said, the CEL has been on since before I messed with the exhaust manifold. The heat shield rusted off quite some time ago, and has been sitting on the manifold sort of crooked. I haven't been able to source a replacement yet, so maybe the heat damaged the wiring/sensor. Just an idea
You may be right. enclosing pic of upstream oxygen sensor. My manifold is probably different than yours but the sensor (circled) is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may be right. enclosing pic of upstream oxygen sensor. My manifold is probably different than yours but the sensor (circled) is the same.
Thanks. I know the one. I'll order a new one in addition to hopefully getting my hands on a heat shield. As for the oily sludge, should I just clean it up and move on?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Thanks. I know the one. I'll order a new one in addition to hopefully getting my hands on a heat shield. As for the oily sludge, should I just clean it up and move on?
If your car is not smoking, runs well. idles well, not using oil, I would let it go. One thing you might check is the air filter. If they get really dirty they can raise the vacuum in the intake plenum and suck excess air into the intake through that PCV hose. As for the heat shield, you don't really need it, just don't let any wiring or hoses get close to the manifold.

·
Registered
2006 Solstice 2.4L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your car is not smoking, runs well. idles well, not using oil, I would let it go. One thing you might check is the air filter. If they get really dirty they can raise the vacuum in the intake plenum and suck excess air into the intake through that PCV hose.
Awesome, thanks a ton for all the advice here! Still learning about cars as this is my first 👍

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
It is possible that during a run, the motor heated the throttle body up and the tube melted a bit. My experience with most rubber/plastic items in the engine bay is once they melt, they usually never harden again, and that tube right there is one of those that never hardens. I removed my throttle body elbow on my GXP and had that same exact gunk around it. Not too mention my throttle body elbow crumbled in my hands from the heated dry rot. Or the PO used oil or some sort of lubricant to slip the tube on the throttle body. I had to use a bit of vaseline on my new silicone tube when I did mine.

Reactions: Skyler Spaeth
1 - 12 of 12 Posts