Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a TiAL bov for my gxp, installed it, but it created compressor surge because it came with a 10# spring, and according to their vacuum/spring charts, I needed a 6# spring. It finally arrived, I installed the lighter spring, but now the car feels odd when I let off the throttle. Not every time, mostly on low rpm. Almost feels like the car wants to pull back as I'm driving. A friend told me I just have to drive the car for a while, or even disconnect the battery and allow the ecu to reset. I see the bov opening and releasing the air (even though it's not the loud whoosh that all my other friends with TiALs get :( ) but I'm just wondering, does this sound normal at first? Does it have to settle, does the car have to get used to the new bov? Please chime in with your expertise. thanks. :cool:

Mods: Trifecta 23lb tune, Dejon intake, Dejon Intercooler, Solo DP and RCD exhaust and other things.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Why are you doing this - just for a different sound?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, this is normal--- once the car learns that it has an atmospheric blow off it's get used to it... Where is the BOV located? I had mine blowing toward the intake manifold due to where I mounted it and it was pretty loud, but I had a larger turbo... anyway let me know!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is on the cold pipe (after intercooler on the bend). It's facing the passenger side, it's not loud :( when it's at low rpm it has a slight gurgle sound then psshhh *light*, then when it's at higher rpm you can hear it better but no WOOOOSHHHHH MUDA****AAA!!! haha. No I didn't do it for sound, I know it has no real effect on performance or anything, but I figured it wouldn't hurt, especially if I plan on upgrading turbo soon.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I would say no, you'll just have some minor driveability issues like you're experiencing now.
Also the reason the bov isn't as loud is because the throttle plate doesn't fully snap shut when you let off the throttle so the bov doesn't fully open, there isn't enough vacuum to open the bov, the ecm slowly closes the throttle.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Mine makes a lot of pssshhhhhh noise and it's factory.... Or at least I think it is. Thus the reason I've been trying to find the previous owner/tuner.... LOL..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how do I get it to stop pulling back at low rpm?? I turned on the ac yesterday and the car felt like crap. Was the 6# spring the wrong choice?? When it had the 10# spring it felt normal, only got compressor surge and a cel. I don't have a check engine light now and have driven it for three days with no change. If you watch the rpm, and rev it at a stop, it'll go up past 2k, but once you let off it'll drop to 800-900, then bounce back up to 1100-1200rpm. What can I do??

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Wow....you a lot of you guys idle high! I idle at 750rpm.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If you watch the rpm, and rev it at a stop, it'll go up past 2k, but once you let off it'll drop to 800-900, then bounce back up to 1100-1200rpm. What can I do??
That's one of the symptoms of venting your bov with a stock maf setup, i moved my maf after the bov and it drives like stock. You do need your tune setup for it though, either by trifecta or with hptuners.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I put it back to stock...andddd now I only have 13lbs of boost. I have a 23lb trifecta tune. Where should I look first....drives great and no cel. Just low boost on wot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I mean when I went from one bov to another all I did was move the same hose back and forth. Sound right? I was cruising with some friends and the car seemed fine. we hit the hwy and did a few pulls just joking with each other and next thing you know the car just didn't want to take off. I set the display to see how much psi it's doing, and did another wot. Sure enough, it either gave me 0-3psi on one pull, or 13psi on my last pull. No cel, and car runs great, doesn't idle funny or anything. I checked this morning to see if a coupler on the IC had blown, or if the t bolts were still holding up,.....seemed fine. Where else should I check?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
There has to be something that you missed when doing the swap and i have no clue what, having access to a logger would be nice right about now so you could see why its not increasing boost.
Wastegate arm, wastegate solenoid, vacuum lines, bpv diaphragm, bpv solenoid, ic pipes... this is all i can think of that you should double/triple check.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is the waste gate solenoid? Is there a way to test it? I heard a loud pop right before it started giving me this problem. Also where is the bpv solenoid? Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
The waste gate solenoid is just below the intake of the turbo.
Check the plug wires to make sure they are OK.
You can disconnect it by pushing on the wire on the plug holding it and then pull off the connector with the wires attached to it.
Inspect the female pins and make sure they have not sliped down and no longer make connection to the male pins on the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts