Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I peed and moaned about my first ever speeding ticket just over a year ago. Same stretch of road I'd driven for ten years in a 3/4 ton pickup. Never a problem. In the Solstice I have a compact pickup and a minivan whom I'm not gaining on at all on the same road.

I get tagged.

Last week we set off to a wedding in Green Bay. Decide we're not going to take the shortest route and in fact will hug the Lake Michigan shore line, up through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, spend the night somewhere along the way and make our way to Green Bay.

A little more than an hour into our drive, we're finally to the "lakeshore" though it's so built up in the SW corner of Michigan there is very little to see other than gated driveways and fences. I realize we're in a "school zone" and begin to slow down. My wife and I are talking and I see a cop two cars back light 'em up. Figure he's received a call. I pull over.

So does he.

A very pleasant fella he was. Asking me if I saw the sign, asking me if I saw where he was parked and I'm thinking "You're really asking me these things? If I saw the sign and where you were parked, do you think we'd be having this little chat right now?" He asks me about the significance of the license plate as it is "obviously personalized". Asks me about my driving record. Tells me I was about 1/4 mile past the sign that posted the speed reduction. I think "great, I'm about 12 hundred feet past a sign I didn't see on a road I've never driven and obviously a good spot for you to sit and hide."

And the prick wrote me up for 5 over - claimed I was 12 over when he clocked me. I calculated the numbers. I would have had 19 seconds from the posted sign to get down to 35. I was decelerating as I saw the second sign at the time he lit me up.

He went to great lengths to explain to me where the speed zone started, how the locals are concerned, etc. I shouldn't have bitten my tongue like I did, as I already had the ticket. All I thought was "Thanks. This is a road I've never driven before in my life, took it in an effort to see the area, spend my time and money off of the freeway and you're giving me a ticket. I don't need to know anything about where your speed trap is, because I'm not ever going to drive this POS road again and I sure as hell won't ever spend any money in your turd-hole township.

Despite my bride requesting that we just go back to the freeway I veered us back onto M22 along the Sleeping Bear Dunes and it was beautiful drive!

I'm writing my letter to send in protesting the ticket. I'm also suggesting that if I do have to pay the $100 bucks I'm going to roll a single hundred dollar bill into a suppository and the cop can stick it.

Okay.....

I feel better now.

But only a little bit. :cuss:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
One night I was coming home from work. 10:00 p.m. I took a side road I never took before. Speed limit 35 drops down to 25 around a bend. Female cop pulls me over and tells me I was going 35, but she will write me up for five over. Based on your experience, that sounds like a standard script.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Hey, I was driving to work one gorgeous morning with the top down. There was an older Jeep Cherokee just ahead of me in the lane to my right, there was a car in front of me and a car behind me and a RIDICULOUS HOV lane to my left with absolutely NO traffic. The Jeep suddenly took my lane and I had nowhere to go but into the HOV lane. It was 8:20 in the morning and the HOV lane is off limits to any car with only one individual until 9:00, but I had absolutely no choice. So I swerved into that glorious lane. From out of nowhere came a rookie cop and he pulled me over. He told me I had a beautiful car, wanted to know what it was and gave me a few more compliments. Then he asked if I knew I was in an HOV lane. I told him yes, and asked him if he had seen the Jeep that nearly took me out. Of course, he didn't see that Jeep because he was WATCHING MY CAR!! He gave me a ticket and it cost me $65, which is cheap. In Denver, that ticket would have cost me $300!! Anyway, I wrote a letter to the court in protest so they set a trial date. I decided to go ahead and pay the stupid ticket as I didn't want to incur court costs, etc. - that would have been a lot more than $65. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey, I'm doing 65 in a 60 zone, four lane divided, country highway. Just passed the only vehicle in sight doing 60. Mirror check shows a small black thing flying up behind me, I get in the right lane and a Honda S2000 goes by doing 85-90. About 20 seconds later a State Police unit goes by doing 100-110! Its been bare cornfields the last 20 miles, no idea where the SP unit was, but he got the S2000. He was not in uniform either, but was a marked car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last year I was driving around town and took a lightly used side street to save time and was pulled over and given a ticket for 5 miles over the speed limit of 30. It ticked me off that the cop ticked me especially since there are more serious and dangerous traffic violation being committed on all the main streets. In the past all I had to do was mail in the ticket with a check and be done with it, but I decided I would go to the court house and pay it in person. When I was done I was given a receipt. I could hardly believe the itemized things I was charged for.

Read the :bs: receipt here. :banghead: :mad: :wtf:

·
Registered
164 Posts
You had to give a DNA sample for 5 over?????
No, that's my gripe. The actual infraction fine was $5, but most of that added bull crap stuff was just to pad the bill.
I dropped my support of law enforcement after that.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Not the fault of the enforcement people, it's the politicians who won't stop spending.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not the fault of the enforcement people, it's the politicians who won't stop spending.
Oh BS!!! Polictians do set the limits but there are a lot of cops that care more v about gotcha than safety. I had sn unmarked car try to egg me into racing from a light recently. Hit his lights when I was quicker. Can you say entrapment? He turned off his lights when he realized we had not hit the speed limit yet....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get this. Tonight we discussed taking the pool cover off because we may have Kappa guests next weekend (Gilmore Dustoff in MKC thread.) Also discussed tilling the garden up so my bride can start planting. I decide to get tillin' but need to buy gas. Strap the can in the passenger's seat and go to the local country store to fill it.

I get back and my wife asks "What's the plan?" I tell her "I plan to drive 2 under from here on out." She says "No WAY! Are you serious?"

On my way back from the store I drop the hammer a bit and wind it up to about 60-65. No speed limit is marked and technically unmarked Michigan roads are "as fast as conditions allow". After my sprint I'm dialing it down - easily 60 max - when Officer Richard Head in his charger coming the other direction is spotted. I figure "no problem" and look in my rearview mirror to see his brake lights on!

It's a hilly section of road with no good turnaround spots so I continue at 60 because I'm only about a mile from my next turn. That road has a solid "S" about a half mile onto it so I'm basically a ghost if I can get there and through the S. I see a yellow Vette "vert" coming the opposite direction and debate whether I should flash my brights to let them know they're coming up on a cop. No. Let them take THEIR chances. lol!

So about 5 miles of paranoia and I pull into the garage and close the door and hope this guy doesn't remember the car or me from last year!

Besides, I was working on the pool and tilling the garden all night occifer!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh BS!!! Polictians do set the limits but there are a lot of cops that care more v about gotcha than safety. I had sn unmarked car try to egg me into racing from a light recently. Hit his lights when I was quicker. Can you say entrapment? He turned off his lights when he realized we had not hit the speed limit yet....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Glake apeared to be addressing all the miscellaneous "charges" in the charge, rather than the guy writing the ticket. DNA charges for a speeding ticket? lol.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
That ticket is ridiculous! Did you actually go to court and face a judge, or did you just go to the courthouse and pay the ticket in person? If you didn't face a judge, I can't figure out why you would be charged all those excess fees. I believe an investigation should be started. One of our television channels hounds companies, etc., who take advantage of the public and has caused several investigations to take place. I'd be boiling mad and looking for someone to assist in taking down this obvious rip off. :cuss: :brentil:

·
Registered
164 Posts
That ticket is ridiculous! Did you actually go to court and face a judge, or did you just go to the courthouse and pay the ticket in person?
I just went and paid the ticket. I did send in my gripe to the local newspaper to be posted in the "Onions" column, but nothing came of it.
I guess It was a good thing I was driving my old 98 Saturn SL2 beater instead of my Sky when this happened.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I just went and paid the ticket. I did send in my gripe to the local newspaper to be posted in the "Onions" column, but nothing came of it.
I guess It was a good thing I was driving my old 98 Saturn SL2 beater instead of my Sky when this happened.
Man, that just boils my blood! Maybe you should send copies of that receipt and a letter of explanation/disgust to the commissioners, mayor, governor, senators for the state, etc. IMHO, this is definitely abuse of power and highway robbery, for lack of better words.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Man, that just boils my blood! Maybe you should send copies of that receipt and a letter of explanation/disgust to the commissioners, mayor, governor, senators for the state, etc. IMHO, this is definitely abuse of power and highway robbery, for lack of better words.
Who do you think is responsible for all those gotchas?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Who do you think is responsible for all those gotchas?
Not really sure - but I know if it is brought to the forefront, it could embarrass the heck out of the perpetrators and maybe something would be done about it. The taxpayers would scream "FOUL" and possibly things might turn around. Just a thought. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts