Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done tie rods on their cars? What are the torque specs for both inner and outer?

When I got my new wheels and tires last year, I noticed a "nibble" in the steering wheel and about 3mm of dead spot at TDC. The other day I was coming home on the freeway (first time I've driven it since last summer) and got it up to 75mph and could feel the nibble and had to slow down to 55 for traffic. Once traffic cleared and I got it back to 75mph, I have a bad vibration. Slowed down to 55mph and then back to 75mph and it was just a faint vibration....so I'm thinking it's a tie rod...but not certain.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
normally you don't get a vibration from play in the steering. There could be some play because of age, how many miles are on the car?..

From what it sounds is that you get the vibration at a specific speed, this would be wheel balance.. maybe a rock stuck in the tread??.. If you can find a tire shop that has a balancing machine that is capable of spinning the wheel without a tire mounted have them put the heavy spot on the wheel opposite the heavy spot on the tire. This can be a bit of a pain to do if needing to do this with used tires.

This whole process is a lot easier to do when you get new tires, new tires have a mark on the sidewall (usually a colored dot) that indicates where the heavy spot on the tire is. all that would need to be done is locating the heavy spot on the wheel and then put those 2 marks opposite from each other.

If you have a balance done and there is more then 2 ounces of sticker weights make them rotate the tire on the wheel to reduce the amount of sticker weights.

If there is more then 0.75 ounces of weight then there should be 2 rows of sticker weights. the first row is placed close to the face and the second row is placed on the inside edge. If there is .75oz or less the weights should be placed in a single row in alignment with the hub mounting surface. The offset is going to dictate exactly where this position is on the barrel

Depending on the tire shop you go to they may only spin the wheel a single time and then sticker it and call it done. The weights should be temporarily taped into position using duck tape and the wheel should be spun again to see if it's correct. If it is correct then the weights can be attached using the adhesive backing on the weights.

The tire shops today almost always only use a single row of weights when there should really be 2 rows, and the row is almost always place as close to the inside of a wheel spoke as possible which is also incorrect. One time I had my tires replaced and there was 6 ounces of weights on one of the wheels. I have had a tire place put sticker weights in multiple places, at least they spun it more then once LOL. that's a no no as well.

a 1/4oz imbalance turns into a 6.5lb imbalance at 75 MPH. the stock wheel and tire turn at 1050 RPM's at 75MPH. the g force at the tread surface at 1050RPM's with a tire radius of 13.34" is 419. so 1/4oz turns into 104.75oz (6.54lbs). This really puts it into perspective. 1/4oz is not that much weigh.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Aachem's razor. The simplest solution is usually the correct one. Try the balancing first. It's cheaper and quicker. You could have just lost a weight.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand new wheels though, weighted inside the rim. So don't think it's wheel balance. Not too mention one minute it was fine, then really bad, then back to somewhat fine. And I can't throw the weight because as I stated, its inside the wheel. That's what leads me to believe tie rod ends... the car has 85k so it's about time for toe rods...

One other side item of note. We put the brace kit on just before this drive home. I have a bad clunk from that at slower speeds (15mph or less) that I have to figure out now too. So not sure if that could have caused the vibration. I have the Street Race dual exhaust and I think the new front portion of that pipe might be clanking on the tunnel brace. So wondering if that didn't cause what I felt as a vibration at 75mph.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
How much weight has been added? If it is more then 3/4 of an ounce there should be 2 strips on the wheel. One placed on the inside of the rim next to the spokes and the other should be placed near the very inside edge of the wheel. If it is 3/4 of an ounce or under and you are using the stock offset then the weights should be placed approximately 50% of the way between the wheel face and the inside edge.

On a steel wheel they use those weights that clip onto the bead. There is one put on the inside bead and one put on the outside bead. When using nice wheels you don't want that thing on your wheel so they invented the sticker weight. Well the sticker weights should be applied much in the same manner or as close as they can get.

Because the vibration comes and goes it really sounds like a balance problem. Take note if the vibration always comes around the same speed. If it does then it is 100% a balance issue.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The exhaust hitting the tunnel brace is going to make a completely different kind of a vibration. Is what you are feeling in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vibration was from the front end. The clanking is from under my elbow, so I know its the brace for that... The vibration was intermittent and wasn't consistent at any speed. That's what makes me think its a tie rod or control arm ( A-arm).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts