Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, enough is enough, time for someone from GM to address this forum, and to give us some idea when production will start. Too many orders out there for them to be sitting silent. I understand production problems, and I for one am very glad they are attempting to fix things and make it right the first time, but this is mere speculation. Time to get an answer

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe . . . .?

Maybe they are trying to come up with a convertable top that will look and fit good, rather than cheapo looking thing it has now? I cannot see them putting that top on any other car in the GM lineup. Pathetic. I would like to see what the others in the forum think of paying $25K and getting a top like that for their cash? :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Actually, it's not much different from a Mercedes or BMW except for the fact that the fit on the original 100 units is not so great. If the get the wrinkles out in time for production, or if they don't produce until the fit is right, I will be very happy.

The Mercedes tops are lined though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missing the Point

CanSol said:
Actually, it's not much different from a Mercedes or BMW except for the fact that the fit on the original 100 units is not so great. If the get the wrinkles out in time for production, or if they don't produce until the fit is right, I will be very happy.

The Mercedes tops are lined though.
They are already overdue for the start of production. They were suppose to start in mid may, we are now in June. I for one will always have my top down as I live in Arizona where the sun shines 328 days per year. My problem will be the permenant wrinkles in my top from being stored under the clamshell. I just think GM owes us all an explaination. Mr Lutz wanted this to go forward,he rushed it through so now tell us why we have to wait.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
GM is starting to schedule some units...

Actually, several units have already been assigned Target Production Week dates--mine is set for the week of July 25.

There's a survey that covers this link to: Target Production Week Survey. You'll see several folks (43 as of this writing) who reported Target Production Week assignments...

Excitement you have, patience you need, or unhappy will you be. ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
The top does look like one on a BMW. I think the trouble with it leaking has to be on the area of the rear window. That is a difficult surface area to seal. I think GM has enough qualified engineers to correct any problems. We all need patience. What's another few days or weeks. It'll be here soon enough for me. I just don't want to have to bring it back to fix anything!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Project Management versus impatience

fak429 said:
They are already overdue for the start of production. They were suppose to start in mid may, we are now in June. I for one will always have my top down as I live in Arizona where the sun shines 328 days per year. My problem will be the permanent wrinkles in my top from being stored under the clamshell. I just think GM owes us all an explanation. Mr. Lutz wanted this to go forward,he rushed it through so now tell us why we have to wait.
Ummm.... I think they did. We've been told that the reason for the production delay is fit/finish issues with the top and some body panels. GM has communicated this.

Are you perhaps instead saying that you want them to pick an exact date on which to start production? I will say that in any process, unknown factors (like the fit and finish issues that did crop up) can cause delays. Thus, choosing a precise date is extraordinarily difficult. The only way to make absolutely certain you can meet the date is to put a large amount of "management reserve" in the project time line (we're not allowed to use the word "padding" in Project Management). It seems to me, that GM has done precisely that by stating their delivery date as a conservative "4th quarter" at the time when you ordered.

I understand your frustration, but I'm not entirely convinced that any answer that GM gave you would be entirely satisfactory to you. GM has said that they will deliver the 1st 1000 by end of October, and the first 4 month allocation units thereafter. This does leave them some room to pull in the schedule, but as of yet, they haven't crashed the schedule, and really should not do that. Crashing a schedule puts the delivery date in a very uncertain state by minimizing all of the possible "time to complete" for all steps and allowing no margin for error, delay or rework. Doing that is in reality dishonest, because the project manager's experience would tell them that it would be very unlikely to be an accurate prediction of project completion date....

I've strayed into Project Management speak, but I trust the point is clear. GM is working the issue, and you have every right to be impatient. Watch the Target Production Week thread or future threads for more answers--they are our window into GM's internal process, and right now, it looks like they will start retail unit production in July. :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM needs to communicate? Where has everyone been? They have been!

We have seen:

Lori Queen had to entries on the GM Fastlane blog a couple weeks ago explaining that they had some delays and were working out the bugs.

Pontiac sent emails to first 1000 buyers about a week ago thanking them for their interest, and advising them that they had encountered some production delays. They said they were working to get them to production as soon as possible, and would send an update when they knew more.

We have seen media articles where GM announced there would be some delays.

We know dealers have been told to inform people deliveries in the October/fall timeframe, due to delays at reaching production.

So what are they supposed to say now? Until they get the problems fixed, chances are they do not know exactly when production would start. They are not about to release speculative dates to the public.

Just stay patient. Go play some golf. Visit your family. Catch a ball game. Drink a beer. When GM gets the problems worked out and starts production, we will all know and then we can look forward to cars being delivered. Until those problems are worked out, there isn't anything GM can really say.

Patience!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fformula88 said:

We have seen:
Lori Queen had to entries on the GM Fastlane blog a couple weeks ago explaining that they had some delays and were working out the bugs.

Pontiac sent emails to first 1000 buyers about a week ago thanking them for their interest, and advising them that they had encountered some production delays. They said they were working to get them to production as soon as possible, and would send an update when they knew more.

We know dealers have been told to inform people deliveries in the October/fall timeframe, due to delays at reaching production.

So what are they supposed to say now? Until they get the problems fixed, chances are they do not know exactly when production would start. They are not about to release speculative dates to the public.

Just stay patient. Go play some golf. Visit your family. Catch a ball game. Drink a beer. When GM gets the problems worked out and starts production, we will all know and then we can look forward to cars being delivered. Until those problems are worked out, there isn't anything GM can really say.

Patience!
Good post!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why do I care what the top LOOKS like? Personally I think a few wrinkles gives it character and makes it more "rag top" like... but nobody is gonna see mine unless it's below freezing, raining, and my other cars/bikes are in the shop. Seriously, they should fix the leaks but damn the small wrinkles... That's just stupid on a roadster to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:agree:
Its not that GM hasn't communicated - its just that we don't much care for the answer :brentil:

I want it now, Now, NOW!!!

Kind of reminds you of everyone's favorite vacation question - are we there yet?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fformula88 said:

Patience!
:agree: Words of wisdom. I can only add "DRINK SEVERAL BEERS"

·
Registered
350 Posts
lespaul85 said:
Why do I care what the top LOOKS like? Personally I think a few wrinkles gives it character and makes it more "rag top" like... but nobody is gonna see mine unless it's below freezing, raining, and my other cars/bikes are in the shop. Seriously, they should fix the leaks but damn the small wrinkles... That's just stupid on a roadster to worry about that.
The problem is that people do care about the wrinkles and leaks of the top. I for one will drive it full time. I know many people are going to have it as a second car, but wouldn't if be foolish of GM to make a car that might be the image of Pontiac and have it be made in such a way that it can't be driven in the rain. Imagine the bad press they would get if they knowingly released a car with a leak in the roof. I know that people want their cars, but GM wouldn't be around to produce any other cars if they did something stupid like that.

Also, the top isn't the only issue. There are body panel fit issues that need to be correct. These are all normal things with a new release.

The only thing that GM should have done differently is not say it would be available in summer 05 or be certain that it would be. However, we manage to accept this from say the cable man or the plubber who says that they will be over and then cancel on us, but when it is our car we are all flipping out.

My rant is almost done, but I need to say a little more. Us as Americans have become a society that needs instant gratification. We want it and we want it know. I mean the EOP began 6 weeks ago. We bought a Tahoe several years back and waited 6 weeks for them to begin production and the cars were already being put out at full rate. When we all put our $$ down we knew that it was an early order and that they cars weren't being produced yet. For some reason we act like we have the right to just go off on GM and insist that they give us the cars now, because that truely is the only thing that will make some of the people happy around here.

I for one have been interested in the car since it was a concept and wouldn't think of droping my order, but if others want to that only means that I will get mine sooner, so go ahead, but know that you are doing it out of a self serving I want it now attitude. Unless of course you are doing it because you need to have a car for one reason or another.

·
Registered
121 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
The problem is that people do car about the wrinkles and leaks of the top.

[IMHO] I do!!! This wont be my primary car, and I don't plan on driving it in the rain. However I do care about purchasing a quality product. So I say take as long as they need to iron out the wrinkles. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
"thump...thump...thump.... Is this microphone on??"

Fformula88 said:

We have seen:

Patience!
:agree: And it would seem that some of the folks complaining the loudest about not knowing when GM will schedule their production date have completely missed the thread that is charting some of the earliest units... link to: Target Production Week Survey. The dates being posted by folks are for units which have been coded 3300 and the dates the cars have been tentatively assigned by GM as their "Target Production Week" dates.

While the dates are subject to change, they are in point of fact the best estimate of the actual start of retail production we have, and they are directly from GM!

"THUMP...THUMP...THUMP....IS THIS MICROPHONE ON??"

I don't normally shout, but it seems folks hadn't found the data yet, so I'll include in this thread a point in time snapshot of the with the names attached from what our members have posted at the following thread and Poll: link to: Target Production Week Survey

As of 2005-06-06 22:14:00-07 the poll has the following posts:
(Format: Month, first day of week, usernames, total count, percentage of all respondents)
  • July 18
    CanSol, Excitementisnow, jschimp, leolaw, mikefred1952, mobboss, PAS22
    7 15.22%
  • July 25
    CanalSolstice, Crimson Avenger, heismybooty, MI Sol, package, slyone, Sol Cruisin, Solo
    8 17.39%
  • August 1
    Karen1506, kevbo1121
    2 4.35%
  • August 8
    Andrew Jackson, bigjon, gvoeller, solsticedreamin
    4 8.70%
  • August 15
    dylan01, legxxvv, LTSMRSOL, lupin
    4 8.70%
  • August 22 0 0%
  • August 29
    Nix Sol
    1 2.17%
  • September 5 or later
    2091351, Adrenaline, buckeyewilky, Delnari, del_utz, jamaro, roadster, SlipSlider, SolGeezer, tutle
    10 21.74%
Looking at the data, it looks like most of those who posted with dates in the July 18, July 25, and early August dates are already listed in the 1st 1000. The posts after August 22 seem to be mostly folks who have first 4 month allocation units.

The point is, that these dates ARE Pontiac's current best guess as to when the cars will be produced. They are the dates to which the factory is marching. I can say this with confidence because they come directly out of the same database that GM's plant uses as a base starting point for scheduling.

Long post I know, but it seems to me that GM is communicating, and I am with mceb, and I'm not sure what more GM can do.... Does any one know what would make a good pacifier for a fussy customer--one that won't break the bank or damage a hard won reputation for quality? Seems there's no pleasing some. :nonod:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Tired of waiting? I agree, we have become a nation of instant gratification junkies!! I know Russia is gone and it failed, but people there had to wait YEARS to get a car! It reminds me of an old joke.

Mr. Ivanoff answering phone: Hello (sorry, no typed accents)
Car Co. Rep: Mr. Ivanoff, I have good news! We need you to come to the auto dealer and pick up your new car! Oh, by the way, it won't be the color you wanted, nor will it have all the options or a heater.

Mr. Ivanoff: Thats OK, I'm just thrilled to have a new car!!
Car Co. Rep: Great!! How is September 24th 2007??

Mr. Ivanoff: What time?
Car Co. Rep: 2:00 pm!

Mr. Ivanoff: Damn! That is when the plumber is coming to fix my toilet!!

Patience is an artform I am still attempting to master! :cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Crimson Avenger..."THUMP...THUMP...THUMP....IS THIS MICROPHONE ON??" ...[/QUOTE said:
The microphone is not the problem...there is almost nothing of value left to discuss...It's gonna be a long LONG Summer, if all we do is whine...

May sound like a radical idea, but maybe it's best to shut the forum down for a period of time...force everyone to temporarily get a life away from the Solstice...I suppose, one could argue that the whining is a healthy outlet for their frustrations. I say it's like suffering an injury...sure it "hurts", but the more you focus on it, the worse it hurts!! It's just not healthy!! Otherwise we need to focus on something positive to discuss...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:lol: :glol:
fak429, good one... :glol:

Oh... I didn't know you were serious...

Really, they've told you as much as THEY know. No further information is available - demanding an answer is like standing in front of a 38+week pregnant woman and asking her, over and over,

"when... EXACTLY WHEN will you deliver that child??? No, not just 'soon', or 'when it's ready', or 'I'm due next week', I WANT TO KNOW THE EXACT HOUR YOUR CHILD'S HEAD WILL BE POKING OUT INTO THE WORLD... and, I want a GUARANTEE that the kid will be born with absolutely NO COMPLICATIONS.... When, lady? WHEN? We need the doctor to chime in and tell us exactly WHEN this kid will be born.... <stamp feet, post demands on websites>"

Chill, dude. We will all know when production starts WHEN it starts. Not a day, a week, or an hour before. But by the time the first or second real retail production car rolls off the line, I'd bet we'll all see an announcement...

...It would be nice if they let this site know first, though ;)

·
5,641 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, here are GM's FIRST words on Solstice production, taken form the press release at the January 2004 NAIAS in Detroit.

For Release: Jan. 4, 2004, 12:00 a.m. EST

SOLSTICE ADDS NEW DIMENSION TO PONTIAC’S PERFORMANCE RENAISSANCE

DETROIT - Bringing the popular concept car to life, GM announced production of the Pontiac Solstice roadster as a 2006 model. The vehicle is expected in dealer showrooms in fall 2005.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts