Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s start keeping track of the amount of time it takes to get from the factory to the owner. This will help others understand more accurately what their actual delivery date is likely to be. I would like to limit this thread to the Midwest just to keep it simple and because, I believe, the shipping route is common to all who live in the Midwest. Apparently the cars go from the factory lot onto a train and then to Lordstown Ohio. From there they continue by train to Minneapolis (?) Minnesota and are loaded onto trucks for distribution around the Midwest. In many cases, the “Dealer Business Center” seems to know where your car is along this route. As your dealer gets you the latest location on your Solstice, how about you just add that information to your “signature” and post in this thread?
As you can see by my “signature” my car was produced on 8/26, passed inspection on 9/7 but, as of this moment, is still sitting on the factory lot. That implies that it takes at least 14 days to get on a train if you’re bound for the Midwest. Next I hope to supply a date for leaving the factory and then a date for arrival in Lordstown and/or Minnesota. From there I can guess it will be less than a week – perhaps only a few days to truck the car to the middle of Iowa.

What do you think, is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On my way

As you can see from the dates in my "signature", it took 7 days to get out of the factory lot and into the Lordstown Ohio rail yard. Don't know what happened in between and don't really care. I am on my way to Iowa!
Dealer Business Center is to call my dealer with an update day after tomorrow (Friday 9-16-05). I may get my car for my Birthday afterall! Send me a Cool Solstice on 9-23 or sooner Pontiac! Please!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hear they are forcasting snow next week. Just kidding. We are in Minnesota hoping to have our car 999 within the next 2 weeks also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are correct in that the cars first sit in Lordstown, Ohio awaiting shipment to St. Paul, Minnesota. They will be trucked from there. My car was shipped 9/3 and estimated delivery date was supposed to be today. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be more like 9/23. My dealer just called and said that it was in Indiana this morning and it is supposed to be a straight shot from there to MN. So hopefully next week some time!

Build date: Approximately 8/12/05
Shipped: 9/3/05
As of 9/8/05 - sitting in Lordstown, Ohio
As of 9/15/05 - on its way from Indiana

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamsetown WI. the next staging area?

Now my Inventory Manager tells me that the DBC says my car is still in Lordstown but is waiting for a train to Janesville Wisconsin rather than Minnesota. Apparently that is the end of the line for me and then the car gets put on a truck. I was aiming for my birthday on the 23rd but it doesn’t look good.
Does anyone know how this train system works?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine to Chicago

Del Solstice said:
Now my Inventory Manager tells me that the DBC says my car is still in Lordstown but is waiting for a train to Janesville Wisconsin rather than Minnesota. Apparently that is the end of the line for me and then the car gets put on a truck. I was aiming for my birthday on the 23rd but it doesn’t look good.
Does anyone know how this train system works?
My dealer called me today that my car left the plant yesterday and was sent to Lordstown Ohio and will be put on a rail car to Chicago; then loaded on a truck to Iowa -

It will be interesting to see the actual transit of the vehicles - maybe all of your cars were waiting for mine :lol: sorry if so.....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
morts01 said:
My dealer called me today that my car left the plant yesterday and was sent to Lordstown Ohio and will be put on a rail car to Chicago; then loaded on a truck to Iowa -

It will be interesting to see the actual transit of the vehicles - maybe all of your cars were waiting for mine :lol: sorry if so.....
My dealer advised VIN 855 was sent to Lordstown but did not know how it was getting to Sioux City Ia. The last one went to a town out side Minneapolis than trucked to S C IA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Loaded for Cottage Grove

According to Blake Greenfield @ Fred Hoiberg Motors, my Solstice was loaded on a train on 9/13 with a destination of Cottage Grove, MN. From there, the cars are loaded on transports and brought down to Iowa. Sounds like the car is now 2 to 3 weeks away from being in my garage! Blake has been great at letting me know how the order has progressed all along the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the route anyway?

Interesting. Most of these routes do not agree with each other after Lordstown Ohio. Yet many are coming to a location that is similar. My dealer thinks my car is going from Lordstown to Janesville WI and then by truck to East Centeral Iowa (Cedar Rapids). On the other hand, Morts01 dealer says her car is going by train to Chicago and then by truck to Central Iowa which is just 100 miles further down Interstate 80 from Chicago than my location.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Del Solstice said:
Interesting. Most of these routes do not agree with each other after Lordstown Ohio. Yet many are coming to a location that is similar. My dealer thinks my car is going from Lordstown to Janesville WI and then by truck to East Centeral Iowa (Cedar Rapids). On the other hand, Morts01 dealer says her car is going by train to Chicago and then by truck to Central Iowa which is just 100 miles further down Interstate 80 from Chicago than my location.

My dealer says (as of late last week) my No. 23 was on a train from Lordstown to Janeville, which is a major regional distribution center. From there by truck north.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just meet with my dealer today, he has the invoice in hand and said the car has left the plant. Delivery is due approximately 9-29-05. Sounds like mine could be on that same load. I am located about 90 miles from Janesville. Getting closer every day. Hopefully this weather will keep up for another month, 80's so we can enjoy the top down .

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Jules said:
I just meet with my dealer today, he has the invoice in hand and said the car has left the plant. Delivery is due approximately 9-29-05. Sounds like mine could be on that same load. I am located about 90 miles from Janesville. Getting closer every day. Hopefully this weather will keep up for another month, 80's so we can enjoy the top down .

October Wisconsin weather: "If its 70 degrees today it will be 45 tommorrow".

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did the train wait?

StellarDave said:
According to Blake Greenfield @ Fred Hoiberg Motors, my Solstice was loaded on a train on 9/13 with a destination of Cottage Grove, MN. From there, the cars are loaded on transports and brought down to Iowa. Sounds like the car is now 2 to 3 weeks away from being in my garage! Blake has been great at letting me know how the order has progressed all along the way.
According to my dealer, mine left the plant on 9/15 - I hope the train waiting for it - :), Otherwise mine is still there :cryin:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
What gets me is that it is only a six and 1/2 hour drive from Wilmington to my town, why it has to travel by slow boat to China and back. Of course my dealer is waiting for a GTO that was ordered before this so maybe they are coming together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have the short topless season here in Mid-Michigan. My dealer told me yesterday that my aggressive :cool: fully loaded (vin #720) was loaded onto a truck in Lordstown on Saturday, 17-SE-05. As an ex over the road driver, I can't imagine it taking more than a day to make it to Flint. However, could it be that they put only Solstices on these trucks and deliver to multiple locations instead of a mixed load of Pontiacs going to one dealer?
Thanx for gettin us together :grouphug: to figure out the system. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Del Solstice said:
As you can see from the dates in my "signature", it took 7 days to get out of the factory lot and into the Lordstown Ohio rail yard. Don't know what happened in between and don't really care. I am on my way to Iowa!
Dealer Business Center is to call my dealer with an update day after tomorrow (Friday 9-16-05). I may get my car for my Birthday afterall! Send me a Cool Solstice on 9-23 or sooner Pontiac! Please!
Good luck and Happy Birthday. I am just hoping for a solstice on the equinox now. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Progress is being made -but it isn't fast!

Just got my update from my Inventory Manager. As you can see in my "signature" the train has moved out of Lordstown and is in Indiana somewhere. Not sure about anything else but apparently we are still headed for Janesville Wisconsin. The DBC offered to give the next update on this coming Thursday but I may not get the information until late Thursday because my Inventory Manager will be out of town. I believe the same offer was made by the DBC to Morts01's dealer. Maybe the train will be in Janesville by Thursday or maybe the DBC expects the trucks to be loaded and on their way by Thursday? Does anyone know what train company is being used and/or the route? Does a train from Indiana and going to Janesville or to the Minneapolis Minnesota area go through Chicago by necessity? Where are train aficionados?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Janesville, Wi on google maps

Del Solstice said:
Does anyone know what train company is being used and/or the route? Does a train from Indiana and going to Janesville or to the Minneapolis Minnesota area go through Chicago by necessity? Where are train aficionados?

Looked up Janesville on google maps and it shows a few railroad tracks. Followed the map and most of them backtracked to Chicago. So I wonder why mine will get off in Chicago, but your's goes on to Janesville. (Boy do I need a life or a SOLSTICE).

It will be interesting to find out how the system does work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tomorrow is only Wednesday maybe just maybe if the train is on time the cars will be delivered for Saturday pick up, Just in time for the rain that they predict for Saturday and Sunday in Wisconsin. Par for the course , The way things have been going. Don't have a car yet But they have been selling on E-bay and there all ready have been some complaints about some things on the car Go figure :cool:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts