Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the EOP to find out why I had not recieved a call...and they told me I wasn't even on the wait list! The dealer told me I was one of the first 1000! He faxed me my time stamp and that stated "order is confirmed conditionally".

In my "Reference Number" area, there is no number.

I called my dealer and he is going to get back to me...he told me he had three of the First 1000 in the system!!! and I was one of them.

Any ideas?

RadRiv

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is dealer can bring up Solstice1000.com and see status of his EOPs now (dealers have posted the extact things to click). There may have been confusion on the 15th but if they go in there now it should be clear if you are in or out?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

If this dealer gets any cars, I should get the first one because they told me I was the first to be entered! Now, I'm not upset, just confused and feeling a bit betrayed by my dealer.

I will wait to hear back...but I'm sure I'm out...the EOP would know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer called back...confirmed that I'm on the wait list...not the first 1000...typical idiot dealer not knowing what he's doing.

RadRiv

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could've been just a mistake. The 15th was quite hectic for everyone and there was no information flowing until a couple of days later. Maybe he just didn't no.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It might not help much, but there is a FAQ....

RADRIV said:
Dealer called back...confirmed that I'm on the wait list...not the first 1000...typical idiot dealer not knowing what he's doing.

RadRiv
While it might not be much help, I put together a FAQ that might help you work with your dealer, and make the determination more precisely.

The FAQ includes some instructions on how to navigate the solstice1000.com web site that the dealer can use to examine the entries. Also in the FAQ, is a link to a thread posted by Small Dealer explaining the status codes such as "Registered"

That FAQ is at: FAQ: How do I know if I got one of the 1st 1000? (Checklist & other info)

I wish I could be more help. I am indeed sorry. :(

But do, as the FAQ suggests; remember why you were interested in the Solstice in the first place. You should still be able to order the first one of your dealer's regular first 4 month allocation units.

These types of stories just tear at me. I wish there were more I could do. :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the sympathy, but understand that I'm not too upset. I'm mostly upset with chosing the wrong dealer. It confirms that there is very little professionalism in car sales...and this works against GM as a whole.

I did fax my paperwork to GM, not waiting for the dealer to help me on this one. I hope they can see it in their hearts to move me to the list.

The paper work claimed that my order was confirmed conditionally. I don't know why it would say that if my order wasn't even in the system.

I took my '73 Riviera for a cruise this morning and I feel better now. Still have my fingers crossed on the Solstice though.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Try finding another dealer in parallel with your 1st 1000 appeal

RADRIV said:
I'm mostly upset with choosing the wrong dealer.
If things don't pan out, you can start now, running in parallel to get a Solstice. Start calling other dealerships in your area asking them:
  1. Do you know how many units you have for your first 4 month allocation?
  2. Do you have any of those that have not already been ordered by customers?
  3. Will you sell at MSRP?
There are folks still finding units in the 4 month allocation at MSRP, but you might have to drive a ways to find one. While you're on the phone with the dealer, you'll get a pretty good idea of whether they know what they are talking about or are to be avoided. Let your gut instincts prevail--if it doesn't feel right, cross them off your list and drive to the next one you found.

The easiest way is to find the list of dealers is to go to the Pontiac.com web site and put in your zip code. You'll get a list. Then, if you want to expand the radius, you can use one of the zip codes of the dealers at the edge of the circle and get another list.

I'm glad that you have taken a positive attitude with this. You can now use that that enthusiasm and pick up the phone and find one. The interest levels and inquiries at dealers has by no means been uniform, and many dealerships have had a lower response volume than others.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer emailed me back to confirm that he would be on the phone w/GM or Solstice HQ on Monday. I can only hope.

The real shock came when EOP told me that I'm not even on the wait list at EOP.

I'm sure I can get the allocation at my current dealership...by the way, I already drove 79 miles to get to this dealer. I live in the boonies and I wanted to go to a nice store.

We'll wait and see what the dealer finds out for me.

Also, I see a thread that states there are some Soltices at the Plant in Wilmington, DE...I asked my buddy to drive by it and he gave it a good once over and found nothing that resembled the Solstice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Nothing real new....Dealer has contacted the "regional rep" and he's going to investigate. Regardless, I will be getting a normal allocation. That's not the point. I still like the car, but the first 1,000 was the goal. I hate losing!

The fact that only about 70 of the SolticeForum members got one of the first 1,000 is really hard to understand. We were ready to go, what happened?

However, I noticed that Brian Carpenter with the same 2:37:02 time stamp has been confirmed. Turn around and insert knife...ouch.

Fingers still crossed.

RadRiv

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There have been entries removed by disqualification

Don't forget that there have been some folks removed by disqualification.

I did some estimation of early wait list time stamps at: Thread = Wait Listed at 2:25 PM (DST), Post = Hope it was really 2:25 EDT, not 2:25 EST....
Crimson Avenger said:
...Some folks got wait listed during the process even before 2:42 EDT. Probably system difficulties due to the heavy load of folks trying to get the exact same operation done.

Now, before you get too mad at the programmers, keep in mind that had the systems operated flawlessly, and handled every web hit is milliseconds, rather than what happened with the overloading condition, then almost certainly, all 1000 would have gone in the first 2 minutes. Then, it would have been a speed typist's race. As it was, there was NEVER going to be one EOP in each of 2000+ dealerships who signed up--there were only 1000 cars, so your odds were less than a coin toss going in. So, what we wound up with was a lottery of the first attempted who didn't have to win a speed typing race, but did have to be very patient and persistent for about 45 minutes. Stressful, yes, but in the end, the cars were distributed randomly, rather than to the rich (who could out bid others) or to the swift of keyboard and mouse (the internet/computer savvy).

Now, on to your other question. Well, given your wait list time stamp, you're almost certainly one of the earliest.

Let's do a little statistical approximation arithmetic. If the numbers from Excelsior are a good sampling, then of the 62 orders we have listed as Pending or Confirmed before 2:42, we have 7 Wait List entries mixed into that slice of the sample.

So, given about 1000 cars, about 7/62 times 1000 is good guess as to the number on the wait list BEFORE 2:42. That's:
7 / 62 * 1000 ~= 112​
So, you're in the ball park.

Now, let's look a bit closer: What's the fraction of that 112 that might be ahead of you? Well, in our sample, 3 of 7 early wait list entries are before 2:35, thus you're at about the 3 1/2 mark through that 7. So, of that 112, you'd be some where in the middle:
3.5 / 7 * 112 ~= 56​
So, you could be somewhere around the 56'th person on the waiting list.

Now the margin of error is fairly large, and there is no real way to know, because we don't have access to the actual data set, but this is not a bad guess. However, this argument depends on your watch being set correctly for Daylight Saving Time. If you were really there at 1:30 EST, then by the time you got your entry in, it would have been 3:35 EDT, and the numbers don't look very good at all. So, I hope your watch had been "sprung forward".

From another thread, I posted that when I asked, the EOP HQ whether or not there had been any disqualifications, they said, "Yes, many." Obviously that's not a precise number, but since they had only gotten down through about the 1st 1/3 of the list (guessing by the intake time stamps and the distribution of the confirmation calls being weighted toward the earlier time stamps) that means there were about 600 or so to go on Monday.

So, is it likely you'll be moved to the 1st 1000 queue? No. Is it possible? Yes. How good are my chances? That depends largely on how many are removed by disqualification. And they are checking that very carefully. At this point, only time will tell. It's not a coin toss, but it's looking more like getting the same number on two consecutive throws of the dice, than like being struck by lightening.

I wish I could be more help, but we're way out on a limb with these estimates, so use the appropriate 10 pound block of salt when you read this.
My take on your situation is that since you have a FAX, and have FAXed it to HQ, they may well change your status to Wait List.

If they do put you on the wait list, your time stamp puts you somewhere within that first block of folks who received wait list entries before 14:42. That would be a good place to be in the sequence.

I hope things work out. I just don't know what else to say. :(

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Good luck, I hope GM can get this worked out for you. Hopefully you can get a placement high on the wait list.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final Post on this thread, I think...

Talked to Dealer today for an update from GM and Regional Boss in Chicago...Not good news. However, I have been put on the wait list according to my time stamp (he says).

So there is still a chance of getting an EOP 1000.

The dealer told me he wished he could get the parts dept to order a dash plaque for me....This guy just does not get it.

The EOP 1,000 was more than a dash plaque, a sequential VIN, a toy car, etc...it was the pride of owning and being on the ground floor of a great car.

Dealer said that there are 30 people in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN metro area that are in the same situation that I am with early time stamps and on the wait list.

He kept saying "overwhelming response". Well that's all good for the Johnny come lately's, but for those of us on the bandwagon before their was a bandwagon, this is just a poor execution of marketing by Pontiac.

Good Luck to all, and I hope you include the non EOP's in your future Club meetings. I hope you treat us as worthy solstice owners, even though we weren't the EOP's.

RadRiv

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does anyone know about the Time Stamp

Does anyone know if the Time Stamp is generated by the dealer's computer or on GM's side?

I assumed the Time Stamp came from GM, but when I talked with GM's customer service they said the problem could be that the Time Stamp is actually generated by individual PCs and that the Time Stamp didn't mean much.

They didn't indicate if the time came from the dealers or GM's servers.

At the lumberyard where I work as the Information Technology Director every PC in our company has the same time to the second. We have to do this to keep meetings in Microsoft Exchange from confusing everyone to death.

Here is part of the letter I received from GM:

"The possibilities could include, but are not limited to the following. It could be as simple as difference in what time the computer used was set to. My co-workers computer is slightly off from my time stamp by a minute. Furthermore, I was at my neighbors house and I noticed his computer was 15 minutes off from the current time. Dealers from different parts of the U.S. could have widely to slight varying times and thus time stamps. Also, if the processing for an application that received a "first thousand" Solstice took longer, then the end time stamp may be different from a shorter request even if it was started after the first. Remember, these are just possible reasons and should not be confused with an all inclusive list."

It reminded me of an old saying we have here in Kansas, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with (you know what)."

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
gregodav said:
I assumed the Time Stamp came from GM, but when I talked with GM's customer service they said the problem could be that the Time Stamp is actually generated by individual PCs and that the Time Stamp didn't mean much.
Well, what a rip-off if they were using the dealer computers' timestamps and not a standard time stamp established by GM. According to the EOP rules, your place on the waiting list is determined by your timestamp. IF they're not using timestamps as set by some GM central server, then that really means nothing and your place on the waitlist is totally random. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer Woes

RADRIV said:

RadRiv
:agree: I thought I had an EOP for 5 days. My dealer did not understand the process. I am pretty certain that the dealers ignored or didn't take the time to understand the EOP communication from GM Marketing. I know for a fact that my dealer didn't educate its sales people, which cost me (and many people on this forum) precious time we didn't have to get entered into the system.

What irks me more than not getting a EOP car, is the dealerships inability to communicate with me and manage my expectations. Once they admitted that I did not get a car, I asked them about their allocation cars. They told me they were getting 4 but not taking any orders (cars are going to the highest bidder when they are available). Great, I am glad I took a half day off of work to try for an EOP.

I think GM Marketing hit the mark with the Apprentice promo, but didn't take into account that most dealers do not have the skill sets to execute such a coordinated effort. In most cases, the floor manager probably knew what was going on, but the poor salesmen actually talking to customers looked foolish. I think this promo epitomizes how most of America feels about car dealers. No offense to the dealers on this forum...if you are reading this you obviously care about doing a good job and do bring value to car buying experience.

Memo to GM marketing: Next EOP program should totally exclude the dealer...we were able to register ourselves, why can't we place the order? Once the order is pending...it can be routed to the dealer nearest our home address.

So much for a Halo Effect with the Solstice buzz! Do you think that Solstice owners are going to tell their friends and family what great legnths the dealer went to get them a car (even if they got an EOP or allocation car)? The story will focus on how lucky you were or how much you paid over MSRP? What a blown opportunity for dealers to acquire new customers?

In my humble opinion, this is exactly why car dealerships will be obsolete in 20 years. We will continue to see consolidation and cross-selling of brands in the short run.....at least until we can legally by straight from the factory. Did you know that Ebay is the generated 6.2 billion dollars worth of used cars sales? It is only a matter of time before technology enablers such as autobytel and edmunds do the same for the new car industry.

Dealers are not idiots but there needs to be a push for increased education and professionalism if they expect to survive in the long run.

·
Registered
251 Posts
RADRIV-
Dealer may not have associated your EOP with a VOM Order Number...it's on a separate system, and IS one of the requirements the dealer MUST perform, for you to get a "1st 1000 Solstice"...IF you still have some fight left...:smash:

GO TO YOUR DEALER...HAVE THEM (with you looking over their shoulder)...log onto www.solstice1000.com(they have user name and password)... Go to "REPORTS" pulldown menu... and make them go through all four(4) STATUS REPORTS...GET A PRINTOUT OF EACH of the following...

1) Status of all orders processed
2) All pending orders processed
3) Display all orders that are verified
4) Display all orders that are fully completed and are awaiting delivery

then write us back! GOOD LUCK :thumbs:

P.S. Your EOP is generated at time of order by EOP HQ, NOT the Dealer.

SOL MIO

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck with the dealer!

You can in fact order a car without going directly through a dealer. Costco, AAA, and a number of other places offer a service to get you a car at a great price from a dealer without the hassle of having to deal with the dealer directly. Its not the same as ordering factory direct, but that is just not going to happen because of franchise agreements.

There are also other dealers who will sell to people out of state, and have the car shipped to a local dealer for pickup. Your by no means limited in dealing with your local sales staff. GTOJ, our supporting dealer, is willing to do this for potential customers, and he is guaranteeing the price will not be over MSRP. You might want to contact him and talk to him about acquiring a Solstice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warning...some venting...Long Post!

Tazeray said:
:agree: I thought I had an EOP for 5 days. My dealer did not understand the process. I am pretty certain that the dealers ignored or didn't take the time to understand the EOP communication from GM Marketing.

This doesn't make me any happier Tazeray! I've sent an email to the dealer w/ suggestions from Solmio. Sorry, don't have time to drive down (79 miles) to the Cities to babysit them anymore. An email and FAX will have to work.

I agree with Tazeray. However, I don't think it will take 20 years to make the dealership obsolete. The internet along with Mall based dealers will be the rule. As you know all cars are pretty reliable (GM's Buick, Caddy at the top by the way) so buying a car won't come down to "kicking the tires". Having a few, select models in Mall environments will give the consumer enough tactile/touch feeling for options and maybe some test drives.

Look at this for forum for instance...we are willing buyers w/o even sitting in the Solstice or driving it...we are just trusting GM's publicized technical data.

Walmart will lead the way, sad to say. Aren't they already selling USED cars in select areas? It's only a matter of time before they get into new cars...maybe the new Chery from China will be sold at Walmarts?

Getting back on subject...the dealers have no incentive to know their stuff...these guys/gals are not trained properly. If EOP and VOM were to be linked, then I'm truly upset with the dealer for NOT knowing what to do! Honestly, I sold cars in college (to help pay, but still had loans up the butt!). I'm a car NUT, so I knew these cars inside and out and sold a ton of cars...top sales guy several months. This dates me...but my manager came up to me and the other sales guys and asked us which car is heavier...the Olds Ciera or the NEW Olds Achieva....I told him the Ciera and the others thought the Acheiva was lighter...I was of course right. The power to wgt ratio on the Ciera was outstanding for the time. The Achieva was about 300-400#'s heavier than the Ciera by the way. This stuff matters to consumers.

Side Note: I talked to my buddy that has purchased a G35 Sedan (yeah, his wife made him go with 4 doors). I asked him if the Infiniti dealer was educated and did he know his product??? My buddy told me that he was disappointed because the sales guy didn't even know the options correctly...when you order these cars, sometimes options are NOT available w/ other options...So my buddy had to correct the sales guy! So, we can't just pin this problem on GM...I think it is everywhere. The fact that Infiniti has only a handful of cars/trucks makes it even more sad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really apologize if this has been answered before, but I'm still not getting it...I was told by my dealer that my time stamp was 2:37. I now see that people with later time stamps are confirmed, so I assume that GM is going through the wait list and adding new people to the confirmed list (ie. first 1000). If the problem is with my dealer can I just jump past him to confirm with GM directly, or what do I have to do to find out if I have made it off the waiting list and onto the confirmed list? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts