Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting a ridiculous amount of spam these days. Three when I first got on the site this morning and now a few hours later there are two more. The moderators are doing a great job trying to keep up with it but perhaps it's time to go back to manually screening new members rather than letting the system spam filter handle it.

Before the update new members had to be manually screened. I'd venture to guess that we get way more new members that are spammers than legit ones.

Time to perhaps turn back the clock.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I see what you mean. I'm just reading the morning email and looking at the forum. I note there are two useless non automotive posts from obvious spammers, who just joined, on the new items page. Yes, time to cull the incoming herd. COVID-19 can't do it alone.

Richard Snipes

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
I check the new members twice a day and remove spammers that can be determined either by ISP address or spam posts. I know John has been checking daily too.
But, if one has slipped though without us seeing it during our checks, if those that see a suspicious new member or obvious spam post could use Report (click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right of the post) that would very appreciated.

This weeks update said they had updated the Captcha feature but I’ve still seem some that slipped through. It has greatly reduced the number.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I check the new members twice a day and remove spammers that can be determined either by ISP address or spam posts. I know John has been checking daily too.
But, if one has slipped though without us seeing it during our checks, if those that see a suspicious new member or obvious spam post could use Report (click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right of the post) that would very appreciated.

This weeks update said they had updated the Captcha feature but I’ve still seem some that slipped through. It has greatly reduced the number.
I would like to "adjust" what @MomsSol said about reporting spam. (I hope she doesn't mind, too much.)

If you see a post that is less than 2 or 3 hours old, please do not report it. There is also no need to report the really obvious ones that we have been getting lately, because, well, they are really obvious. Wait until it is reasonably certain that we have missed the spam before making a report. I do my morning forum check with my phone, and it literally doubles the work needed to clear the spam if I also have to clear the reports too.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I was informed that spam posts should not be reported by using the Report Button. Moderators will pickup on these anyway and receiving all those Reports is unnecessary annoying for the moderators.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was informed that spam posts should not be reported by using the Report Button. Moderators will pickup on these anyway and receiving all those Reports is unnecessary annoying for the moderators.
I got a similar PM from a moderator but was asked to only report spam that was a few hours old. CycleCat was privy to the same conversation. At least five new spam posts this morning though doesn't look though things are getting better, quite the contrary.

If I could help in some way I would.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
The average that I have been deleting every day is five. Yesterday the number was zero, but there have been five so far today.

Honestly, the best way to help is to simply ignore the spam, unless it looks like we missed it. As John Milton said: "They also serve who only stand and wait", although he probably wasn't thinking about internet spam when he wrote that in ca 1670.

Moderation of every new member has its advantages (obviously) but it can also have problems. I am a moderator solely because Robotech was the only moderator on the Sky forum for a while, and there was a period that he could not visit it regularly. New members were getting delayed in being able to post, and if you think that spam is annoying, imagine that you join a forum to ask an important question only to be delayed a day or two in having it appear. I think that dealing with a bit of spam is the lesser of the two problems, even though it truly is a nuisance and I will be very happy when they get it sorted out.

Please have a little patience, and just ignore what you don't want to see. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, you misunderstand where I'm coming from. I have plenty of patience, just looking for a way to get rid of the spam. Having a new member wait for a what could be a few hours for a new post to appear on the site seems to be a small price to pay for the greater good.

Feel free to close this thread if you feel it necessary guys.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good way to keep spam messages from going live is to have a moderator OK a new member's first post and not automatically show it in the forums.
That is the way new members were handled before the big site "upgrade" a short while ago from what I understand.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I somehow find it amusing that in the past 24 hours we have had 7 spam posts, and 14 posts discussing the spam crisis.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I paid for my membership, so this is a paid service for me also. Still, I have a hard time being concerned about the privacy or security of a forum that doesn't have any of my secrets or know anything that I particularly wish to be kept private.

Usability concerns I agree should be a priority that seem to be getting very little attention. Honestly if we are only going to get a small amount of attention I would prfer that it be directed there first. The spam is a bit annoying, but in a way is actually somewhat amusing in the clumsy and obvious way it is presented.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The spam is a bit annoying, but in a way is actually somewhat amusing in the clumsy and obvious way it is presented.
That it is John.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts