Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have spoken to your local Pontiac dealer? Maybe it's time to start knocking on some doors to see what if anything they know? Probably just more speculation and it might be less then we know here.

I've been in brief communication last spring with one. Just a hey put me on the list, what do you know kind of thing. I recontacted them recently asking for any new info and mentioning I've seen some dealers starting to take deposits, was that a sign etc.

In the response back the dealer did think dealers might be getting ahead of themselves with deposits (but later said they'd be glad to hold one :smile ). He also mentioned they've seen paperwork that May is the tenative production startup but that could likely be delayed etc.

Also mentioned no official pricing or specs but unofficially they are hearing 21,500 base (that would be a little shocking given all the PR of 20K) and 24,000 nicely equipped (in line with what we've heard).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I haven't talked to any dealers yet because I've been waiting for Saturn news, and possibly what we'll find out at SEMA. Will there be high performance version, or at least dealer installed option. If I can buy the 2.4L base engine, and get a dealer installed Turbocharger or Supercharger then I'll go make my deposit the day after the show :D

Yeah, the $24k is actually a little lower then some of the reports of $25k fully loaded. Can you find out if that base price of $21,500 is pure base, or base with tax/tag/destination fees? Who knows, maybe we'll get more of the options standard now, or GM just decided they want more money since the Solstice is looking so hot.

But if that's the new real base without anyhitng else added then poop on you GM, bait and switch, bait and switch!!! :D hehehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
I spoke with a dealer back in May or June. The salesman I always talk to said they had next to no information about the car, but would keep me informed as they hear things. He's been very good about checking in with "nothing new."

I have to take my daughter's Sunfire in tomorrow for brake service, so I think I will see what reaction I get about a waiting list or taking deposits. The nice thing about these guys is they have a policy of no dealer mark-up. They also sell BMW and Toyota, and when the new X-3 and the MR2 Spyder came out they were one of the few dealers that were not taking advantage of short supply by marking up their cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I haven’t contacted any local dealers yet. I doubt they know anything more than we have really found out on here. In my experience, the dealers generally don’t know much about the cars that are already on their lots, much less the ones due in. Besides, if I drove onto a Pontiac lot today, I’d probably drive off in a GTO! With the great deals on them right now, I wouldn’t be able to resist.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mceb said:
Also mentioned no official pricing or specs but unofficially they are hearing 21,500 base (that would be a little shocking given all the PR of 20K) and 24,000 nicely equipped (in line with what we've heard).
Your dealer is proabably just preping your mind for his markup. Getting you used to the idea of paying more than 20k base, so you won't notice the little $1500 "dealer prep". Either that or GM is raising the price. :(

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AeroDave said:
Your dealer is proabably just preping your mind for his markup. Getting you used to the idea of paying more than 20k base, so you won't notice the little $1500 "dealer prep". Either that or GM is raising the price. :(
Funny you should say that because I thought that might be too. I recontacted him asking if they have any type policy of dealer markups over MSRP and he came back saying they never ever do that.

I'm pleased but still hoping that extra 1500 is speculation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I spoke to a local dealer about a week ago. The first salesman I talked to knew nothing. He actually asked me if a Solstice was a Toyota! The second salesman said that, as far as he knew, the Solstice would be available in the fall of '05 as an '06 model. He really didn't seem very interested, so I'm not taking his statement too seriously.

I almost always get mad and depressed when I talk to car salesmen. Most of them might as well be selling shoes. :mad

·
Registered
533 Posts
One of the better sales experiences I had was with the salesman who sold me a Grand Prix GTP. I contacted him to let him know of my interest. I'll probably place an order with him soon after GM begins taking them if an acceptable color is offered in 2005. He seemed well informed about the car and thought it was going to be a winner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We had the new Buick LaCROSSE show up last week. A group of us were outside looking it over, when I said to the salesmanager, I'm still waiting for the Solstice.
His reply was, Come see me in 4 months. :cheers

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XLER8ER said:
His reply was, Come see me in 4 months. :cheers
That would be awesome. I was hoping for late winter for order taking :thumbs

·
Registered
275 Posts
Salesmen rarely have any interest in anything they cannot sell, it is that focus that makes a good salesman.

Enthusiasts rarely make good salesmen unless thay have a name that bring people in the door. The great bulk of the sans coulottes have only one interest: the monthly payment and the salesmen cater to showing/selling the maximum car they can be qualified for (did not say "afford").

Once considerered becoming a lawyer but decided to remain productive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Too true

:agree I agree with Padgett there! sorry if the spelling is off, the wheelin dealers dont have much interest on whats not on their lot, although in my town theres got to be more than just myself chomping at the bit for one of these babies. Most of us are getting nada it seems, I finally got the motivation to go scope my local car scene out a few days ago, went straight to the only pontiac specific dealer I know of around here, im sure theres got to be another, he knew which car I was talking about, but had nothing to give me at all, torture!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most could not sale shoes at Wal-Mart

I almost always get mad and depressed when I talk to car salesmen. Most of them might as well be selling shoes. :mad[/QUOTE]

This is a jab taken as one salesman at another. If I knew as little about selling snow flakes as most car salespeople know about their products Taos Ski Valley would shut down every summer :jester Oh! I forgot it does to skiers. Be happy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Time to talk to dealer

I went last year to the dealers about the solstice and they couldn't give me any info. I then went about 2 weeks ago and they still couldn't give me any info. :mad

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hopefully the dealers will have more info soon!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Hopefully the dealers will have more info soon!
How far in advance of retail availability of a new model does GM normally release complete specs, ordering informaiton, and actually take orders? Anybody know what this time period was for the new C6 Vette?

·
Registered
667 Posts
tcl said:
How far in advance of retail availability of a new model does GM normally release complete specs, ordering informaiton, and actually take orders? Anybody know what this time period was for the new C6 Vette?
The sad truth here is that in most cases knowledgeable buyers almost always know more that the dealers do even when specs. become available. That's why sites such as this one can be a real source of truth in an age where so called "information" can be so much smoke & mirrors and spin. :cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As I mentioned in another post I was at the Tampa International Auto Show today and talked to some of the Pontiac show people. They said they're not allowed to send out information on the Solstice yet. From seeing other cars, officialy final specs usually arrive about 6 months away from the release date. Orders usually seemed to be able to be placed about the time they're about to go into production.

Never expect a dealer to know anyhting or legally be able to give you any info untill the product is officially announced. Companies do not comment on un-announced products.

·
Registered
533 Posts
brentil said:
... From seeing other cars, officialy final specs usually arrive about 6 months away from the release date. ....
That's puts them right around the time of the Detroit auto show if the early estimates of the release date are accurate.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
I believe that C6 orders were accepted from dealers in May of this year, with Corvette deliveries beginning in September. So that is a good 4 months lead time. Dealers had their ordering information, specifications, etc in advance of that, but I am not sure exactly how far in advance.

I think we will get final specifications and details at the Detroit auto show regarding when the car will be available, when orders will be accepted by the factory, etc. At least I hope that is when we will get the info!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts