Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I found a response, buried in a thread and decided to reply to it, only after I replied did I see it was posted in the GXP specific section. So apologies for that.

Shorter and to the matter, water pump failure at 69495 miles. Ignition recall parts notice arrived two days ago. Called dealer, quoted a "ongoing special" right now for 495 water pump replacement. (my usual garage wanted 800, then told me they have never replaced a water pump on an ecotec before), so yeah, called dealer holding my ignition parts.

Since all of this is being done, my question is, at 69495 would any of you go ahead and have the timing chain replaced as well while all this other maintenance is performed?....Thoughts anyone...

Thanks!....:thumbs:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope. Thermostat should be done, though.
Yeah I think the thermostat is a given based on what I was told earlier...you ever hear of anyone replacing a thermostat with one that operates at a lower temperature? In other words, kicking on quicker? I was just wondering considering the typically "warmer" climate I'm in. I've never gone into great depth researching thermostats, other than some articles I read long ago about some more free flowing ones or something or another....

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Yeah I think the thermostat is a given based on what I was told earlier...you ever hear of anyone replacing a thermostat with one that operates at a lower temperature? In other words, kicking on quicker? I was just wondering considering the typically "warmer" climate I'm in. I've never gone into great depth researching thermostats, other than some articles I read long ago about some more free flowing ones or something or another....
Technically the hotter the engine runs, the more efficient it is. If you are not having any trouble with overheating, do not change out the thermostat to a lower temp one, go with the factory one and make sure they get the system bled correctly, you will be good to go :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically the hotter the engine runs, the more efficient it is. If you are not having any trouble with overheating, do not change out the thermostat to a lower temp on, go with the factory one and make sure they get the system bled correctly, you will be good to go :)

Thanks....:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Could not have said it better.

The engine components, pollution control devices and the tune are designed to operate best at the design normal op temp. 197 to 210 in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
just curious, for those of us with tunes, is the stock t-stat temp fine or would the next temp higher be better?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know this thread has kind of gone to a thermostat tangent but I have a question regarding the timing chain. My neighbor's daughter has a 2.2l cobalt that was making really loud rattling noises and it ended up being the timing chain had stretched substantially so it had to be replaced. That said, the car has north or 180k miles on it at the time.

Anyways, my 2.4, which has north of 170k miles on it has been makings noises, that, to me, sounds like spark knock. I have always run premium in it, so I switched to regular to see if it made a difference, it didn't. I moved back to premium. Could it be the chain making the rattling noise at low RPMs? Once it's warmed up, I don't hear it as much anymore and I only hear it under 2k RPMs while under load. If it is spark knock, how go I get rid of it? If it's a timing chain, I should probably get that fixed before it jumps time right? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
If it's a timing chain, I should probably get that fixed before it jumps time right? Thanks.
Yup.

Most of the DOHC engines I've been involved with have used duplex chains that last just about forever, while the single row chains do wear out and get slop (the noise is often chains slap as whatever measures the manufacturer used to limit chain motion prove inadequate on a stretched chain).

I prefer the duplex, but obviously a single chain is cheaper, so.....

Still, at your mileage, you aren't doing badly!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
mcpigm01, it's your timing chain for sure dude. you've probably ran the tensioner all the way out and it can no longer keep it in time. Better change it now that wait till it's too late. my buddy across the street is a mechanic for TX direct auto and he's rarely seen an engine with a timing chain go south that was salvageable. Unless you need an excuse to go LS3, I'd order a new one fast.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Knock or a "tick"?
It doesn't really sound like a knock, but if it was it wouldn't surprise me as my NA has been ran pretty hard it's whole life after the break in period.

When it is cold, and If I'm in neutral and rev it to about 2k RPM's, I hear a deeper more knocking sound but, when I'm driving down the road pretty normally, shifting about 2k RPMs, I hear what sounds like Spark Knock. Maybe I'll pull the valve cover off this weekend and take a look. I guess that I will park it until then. That said, I'm 120 miles south of my house until tonight, so I still have to drive it back. It's been making this noise for probably a year or more, but lately, it has been getting worse. My GXP makes a pretty loud ticking sound but I was told that it was the fuel injectors or something.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I've seen engines with a 'little tick' where the loose chain machined part way through the case (Jaguar). Best look sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Also, my NA solstice has never had a waterpump, I thought it had, but, looking back through my records, I was mistaken. If I do need to get the chain replaced, should I get the waterpump replaced or wait until it fails? Opinions?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've seen engines with a 'little tick' where the loose chain machined part way through the case (Jaguar). Best look sooner rather than later.
It's a light rattle when it's under load, but more of a slapping sound when it's lightly revved in neutral. The rattle gets much worse during cold times of the year but the slap is pretty consistent year round.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'd say change out the water pump at the same time. not sure if it's like the sprockets on a motorcycle but the teeth tend to grind in one direction and the gear might no longer fit on a new chain.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'll mention that when I take it in for service. After I pull the valve cover off this weekend, I will know more about what I'm looking at I suppose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts