Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to tint my tail lights

Along with the reverse and side markers...

Doing it with Automotive clear coat with black tint mixed into it, that way I can control the darkness...

Prepped...

Sprayed (I think I want to go darker)

There we go darker, Time to go in the drying oven...

·
Registered
834 Posts
What did you use for prep? 1000 wet sand? 2000?

What are you using for tinting? VHT nightshades?

Looking forward to the results. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Doing it with Automotive clear coat with black tint mixed into it, that way I can control the darkness...

used 800 grit to prep. will have to buff afterwards, pics to come tonight.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I need a little more buffing...
Installing tomorrow.letting the paint cure. Its 30s outside and my solstice is the DD.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All done!!

What you guys think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOW!!!!!!! Good job. I’m seeing tinted tail lights more and more lately. I’ve never understood the desire to make it harder for someone to see you braking or to see you at night with your tail lights on. In my opinion tinted lights attract more attention if you know what I mean and you will get pulled over more often. On the other hand, if I was ever rear-ended and someone claimed they didn't see the tail lights because of the tinted, whether it were true or not, I wouldn't want to be at fault! Laws are simple about a certain level of light output or view ability from a certain distance. Enjoy your lights and happy holidays.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its darker but not impossible to see the lights.

As you can see the pics are of the running lights not brake, and its during the day.

But your right. Hopefully the law doesnt have an issue.
I left the third brake light alone for a reflector/un tinted brake light.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks great! I'm going to re-tint my reverse lights when I get LED bulbs for them. I may do my tail lights as well. My 3rd brake light is tinted though, and I think you should do yours too, and would look cleaner in my opinion. But looks great overall :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Looks very good. I have been considering tinting mine also, but haven't decided just how dark to go. I say dark and I really mean light. I am concerned about the car behind me not seeing my brake lights during the day. I have thought about making a line across the back so that the part of the tail lights that are visible to the car behind me are not tinted at all.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I am going to tint my spare pare of tails but I am planning on tinting them Punisher Red so they look more like part of the rear fenders.

My painter has tinted several cars black so it will be interesting to see how he does with the red color tint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am guessing it changes by state, but what is the law for how dark they can be? I know there has to be a certain percentage of visibility, but how do you go about figuring that out? I am looking at doing it myself with the VHT Night Shades if I do it.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IL says tail lights (not brake) must be visible from 500 feet.

Mine are.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Here you go

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations

The standard with figures can be found here

§571.108Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. :: PART 571--FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS :: CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION :: Title 49 - Transport

So the minimum lunimous intensity is .3 candela

Luminous intensity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In photometry, luminous intensity is a measure of the wavelength-weighted power emitted by a light source in a particular direction per unit solid angle, based on the luminosity function, a standardized model of the sensitivity of the human eye. The SI unit of luminous intensity is the candela (cd), an SI base unit."

and thus

"The candela ( /kænˈdɛlə/ or /kænˈdiːlə/; symbol: cd) is the SI base unit of luminous intensity; that is, power emitted by a light source in a particular direction, weighted by the luminosity function (a standardized model of the sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths, also known as the luminous efficiency function[4][5]). A common candle emits light with a luminous intensity of roughly one candela. If emission in some directions is blocked by an opaque barrier, the emission would still be approximately one candela in the directions that are not obscured.

The word candela means candle in Latin, as well as in many modern languages."

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts