Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I won't get my car until the snow flies (still holding at 3000), I'll be parked in my garage over the winter. I'd appreciate some suggestions on storing over the winter. Some examples would be, How often do I start it, and how long should it run (condensation), could it be parked on cold cement, should it be moved periodically, ect...ect..
Thanks for any suggestions!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Check out the forum's FAQ section. There is a writeup about the procedures for short term and long term storage of a vehicle over there which was originally written by Pontiac Historical Services.

Here is a direct link to that particlular posting in the FAQ section:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2595

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I'm seriously considering cutting a hole in the garage door and covering it with a flap. Then getting a hose extension i can run through the hole.
When there is no road salt (HA!!!) in the area I'll warm it up inside for 10 minutes then run it around the block.
That way the car gets it's exercise and doesn't need winter prep
I too expect a Thanksgiving delivery in NE Ohio
Maybe then i can join Marco on the road

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Solstice baby said:
Since I won't get my car until the snow flies (still holding at 3000), I'll be parked in my garage over the winter. I'd appreciate some suggestions on storing over the winter. Some examples would be, How often do I start it, and how long should it run (condensation), could it be parked on cold cement, should it be moved periodically, ect...ect..
Thanks for any suggestions!!
Drive it when roads are bare.If not start it up once in a while.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I store my Fiero winters, but I generally do not do too much special to it. I posted the link just so everyone has an idea on what is recommended.

When I put the car away, I wash and wax it, clean out the interior, have the oil changed, and cover it. I generally remove the wheels and tires, and put on a set of older wheels with fairly worn out tires for it to sit on. I like that better than putting it on blocks since it allows me to move the car in a pinch if need be, and even lets me cruise it around a little if the desire hits and the weather breaks for a little while, but it also saves my more expensive tires from developing flat spots and dry rot. Other than that, I don't do too much.

I try to drive it once every two weeks. I generally can, except in January and February, when I may only get one or two decent days to get it out. This allows me to run the gas through and fill it up at least once (it only holds just over 10 gal) so it doesn't get too old and gummy.

The car still works after 18 years and 124,000 miles, so this procedure (which I have done all 8 years I have owned the car) must not be hurting it too much.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
as long as you stay off the thruway from the Hamburg watertower to the border...or to Sodom Rd on the Cdn side you'll not get the lake effect.
you're probably safe in most of the Niagara Peninsula too.

I'm south of the Ohio snow belt but i remember that stretch of I-90 vividly !!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
druid-2 said:
as long as you stay off the thruway from the Hamburg watertower to the border...or to Sodom Rd on the Cdn side you'll not get the lake effect.
you're probably safe in most of the Niagara Peninsula too.

I'm south of the Ohio snow belt but i remember that stretch of I-90 vividly !!!
The lake bands can hit anywhere! Last winter, I think north of Buffalo got hit the worst, from lake bands off Lake Ontario! Really, nowhere is safe around here! :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
I store my Fiero winters, but I generally do not do too much special to it. I posted the link just so everyone has an idea on what is recommended.

When I put the car away, I wash and wax it, clean out the interior, have the oil changed, and cover it. I generally remove the wheels and tires, and put on a set of older wheels with fairly worn out tires for it to sit on. I like that better than putting it on blocks since it allows me to move the car in a pinch if need be, and even lets me cruise it around a little if the desire hits and the weather breaks for a little while, but it also saves my more expensive tires from developing flat spots and dry rot. Other than that, I don't do too much.

I try to drive it once every two weeks. I generally can, except in January and February, when I may only get one or two decent days to get it out. This allows me to run the gas through and fill it up at least once (it only holds just over 10 gal) so it doesn't get too old and gummy.

The car still works after 18 years and 124,000 miles, so this procedure (which I have done all 8 years I have owned the car) must not be hurting it too much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I know how much snow you get there, I can go with that. Thanks. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
A Southern Snow

Daddy, what's snow?
I'll tell you son. It's the best! Every 3 to 5 years this cold white stuff falls from the sky and gathers on the ground. Some of it gets up to an inch thick! Schools and businesses will close down and everyone makes a mad dash for the grocery store to buy milk and bread. You'll have to wear something called a coat and gloves, but you can roll around in the stuff and have lots of fun.

Then the next day it all melts and everything returns to normal. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
stang said:
Daddy, what's snow?
I'll tell you son. It's the best! Every 3 to 5 years this cold white stuff falls from the sky and gathers on the ground. Some of it gets up to an inch thick! Schools and businesses will close down and everyone makes a mad dash for the grocery store to buy milk and bread. You'll have to wear something called a coat and gloves, but you can roll around in the stuff and have lots of fun.

Then the next day it all melts and everything returns to normal. :D
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I always here people tell others from warmer climates "snow isn't so bad," "I like the change in seasons," "I think it's beautiful." Hogwash!

I think you have it right. Snow is nice if you get it once every 3-5 years! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I always here people tell others from warmer climates "snow isn't so bad," "I like the change in seasons," "I think it's beautiful." Hogwash!

I think you have it right. Snow is nice if you get it once every 3-5 years! :lol:
Yeah, I hear crap like that form people here in FL all the time. I've spent the winter in Vermont, and I can assure you that I'll live with 105 summers to not have to deal with -20 winters.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, I hear crap like that form people here in FL all the time. I've spent the winter in Vermont, and I can assure you that I'll live with 105 summers to not have to deal with -20 winters.
I think Summer in Florida is equal to a winter in Vermont. They are best dealt with in very small doses. ;)

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
stang said:
Maybe you could find it a good home down South for the winter. We promise not to drive it (too much) and will "warm the tires" ;) at least once a week for you.
:agree:

Tip#1 :Contact me and I will "watch" your Sol at no cost!

·
Registered
5 Posts
basic tips for storing a car longer than 3 months, in a garage.

- wash your car, wax (optional of course)
- fill up Gas tank and put in fuel stabilizer
- change oil and filter
- charge your battery on a trickle charger once a week
- Leave it, don't need to start it and drive it around.
- You can choose to pull the battery and leave it on a trickle charger, just make sure you put the battery on a piece of wood, not bare cold cement.

That's it.
Once you take it out of storage, cuz it's your baby and you want to pamper it, change the oil again b/c it's not really 'clean' anymore. It's actually quite dirty. But not the filter.

There is no need to do anything fancy with your tires. You are only storing your car for 3-5 months, not 5 years. Just pump them up to proper pressure. They will not dry rot or develop flatspots.

If you park your car next to an old fridge or freezer, THEN your tires can dryrot, because of a certain gases they emit.

Otherwise, tires will 'dry out' with age of it's own accord, whether you leave them on you car, or in the corner of your garage. It's all the same.

You can elect to start up your car and drive it around. but your oil in there starts to get contaminated with all sorts of wonderful things, and you're sending it up all around the engine. And if you're in winter conditions, you're probably kicking up road salts.

Store your car, leave it till you're ready to drive it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sunny So. Cal.......

Storage for the Winter? Knew my dad did the right thing to get my family "the heck" out of Michigan. California's the place to be! :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rossifumi said:
basic tips for storing a car longer than 3 months, in a garage.

- wash your car, wax (optional of course)
- fill up Gas tank and put in fuel stabilizer
- change oil and filter
- charge your battery on a trickle charger once a week
- Leave it, don't need to start it and drive it around.
- You can choose to pull the battery and leave it on a trickle charger, just make sure you put the battery on a piece of wood, not bare cold cement.

That's it.
Once you take it out of storage, cuz it's your baby and you want to pamper it, change the oil again b/c it's not really 'clean' anymore. It's actually quite dirty. But not the filter.

There is no need to do anything fancy with your tires. You are only storing your car for 3-5 months, not 5 years. Just pump them up to proper pressure. They will not dry rot or develop flatspots.

If you park your car next to an old fridge or freezer, THEN your tires can dryrot, because of a certain gases they emit.

Otherwise, tires will 'dry out' with age of it's own accord, whether you leave them on you car, or in the corner of your garage. It's all the same.

You can elect to start up your car and drive it around. but your oil in there starts to get contaminated with all sorts of wonderful things, and you're sending it up all around the engine. And if you're in winter conditions, you're probably kicking up road salts.

Store your car, leave it till you're ready to drive it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually that method works quite nicely also. I want to be carefull, not
overly cautious. Once again thanks everyone, this forum is the best!! :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Check out the forum's FAQ section. There is a writeup about the procedures for short term and long term storage of a vehicle over there which was originally written by Pontiac Historical Services.

Here is a direct link to that particlular posting in the FAQ section:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2595
Here's my favorite part:

It is also recommended that doors be left closed, and that the trunk and deck lid be locked to prevent rats, mice, and squirrels from destroying the upholstry.
Those rats, mice, and squirrels have a way of opening the trunk and deck lid when they're not locked!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Here's my favorite part:

Those rats, mice, and squirrels have a way of opening the trunk and deck lid when they're not locked!
Don't underestimate a rats ability to get in somewhere. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts