Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Googled and searched Amazon for an American made tire gauge. Found most that were labeled Made in America were actually assembled here of parts manufactured in China. I have two questions;
1. What gauge is best ? analog or digital.
2. Is there a gauge made in the USA using components made in the USA ?
Thank you and Happy New Year.

·
Super Moderator
15,937 Posts
I have several. All are analog. Plane old dial indicator. I prefer simple mechanical over digital.

I don't know where they were manufactured. If the seller is from the USA, they get the profit. At some point, parts are globally sourced whether its the metal or tooling.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I "wished" for an accurate tire pressure gauge for Christmas last year and my kids came up with a made in China turd off of e-bay. The instructions actually said things like "the lips will tire of the valve. Twist the cap!"

I found one from Jaco and love it. They make both digital and analog. I like how you can inflate with it, then open a valve to bleed it off to the desired pressure.

https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/collections/tire-pressure-gauges/products/digital-flowpro-tire-inflator-gauge-200-psi

Not necessarily made in the U.S.A. but it's been a good tool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire Gauge & Flood Loss

Gave up trying to find a tire gauge made in the USA. Purchased a 0-60 psi Jaco model for $18.00. Our present Solstice is a 2008 GXP automatic. It replaces a 2008 base Solstice that we lost in the floods created by hurricane Florence. The GXP is a screamer compared to the N/A base model. The old Solstice was in perfect condition before the flood but drown in 30 inches of water. The car sat for about a week before we could return home and during that time the brakes, transmission and ignition lock froze up. What was interesting was when the water started filling the car the roof latches popped due to a short circuit. Or maybe the car was just waving good by. Anyway, the car had to be dragged out of the garage and onto the car hauler and off to the salvage yard. My friend who lives nearby lost his 2008 base model in the flood. It only had 14,000 miles on it. Our community of 1700 homes had 900 cars towed away due to flood damage. Needless to say the local car dealerships did a big business selling replacement vehicles.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I "wished" for an accurate tire pressure gauge for Christmas last year and my kids came up with a made in China turd off of e-bay. The instructions actually said things like "the lips will tire of the valve. Twist the cap!"

I found one from Jaco and love it. They make both digital and analog. I like how you can inflate with it, then open a valve to bleed it off to the desired pressure.

https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/collections/tire-pressure-gauges/products/digital-flowpro-tire-inflator-gauge-200-psi

Not necessarily made in the U.S.A. but it's been a good tool.
looks interesting but appears to be a bit bulky
Bill

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a cheap analog guage that keep in the truck. My brother has the mentioned Jaco. Difference between the 2 is maybe a half pound dont have the tenths on mine to make a true statement. The inflate feature of Jaco in a shop is worth something dont know how much though. Have a micro compressor that keep in the truck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I always (almost...) check Amazon to see if they list things that I see advertised elsewhere, and I usually look at the negative reviews as they often point out real problems with whatever the item is. granted, they may have to be taken with a couple of grains of salt, but the reviews have often described problems that make me pass. these inflators seem to have their problems too, so i'm hesitant to get one, especially as they are battery powered and I would tend to use it infrequently and therefore risk battery leakage.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
....... these inflators seem to have their problems too, so i'm hesitant to get one, especially as they are battery powered and I would tend to use it infrequently and therefore risk battery leakage.

Bill
The inflators that I keep in each of my vehicles do not have their own batteries and are powered by the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Tire Gauge...

Over the years I have acquired way too many tire gauges. Best one was a VDO dial gauge that went for eons without a problem then the rubber seal deteriorated. Of course there are no replacement seals, at least as I could find even back when VDO was real. This was the one seen in the MG Mitten ads in Car & Driver and if that rings a bell then you are officially old. One decent pencil gauge, a Snap-on, went hiding off with a set of car keys and a roll of irreplaceable film in an alternate universe of lost items.

Dial gauges, direct read & hold pressure, lose pressure when moved, fill 'n bleed 'n read and a couple of really lousy battery ones with pretty blue screens, before the digital readout "modern" gauges whose button batteries or AAA's oxidized or just plain die. Accu-gage pieces with all the features and the hose but still would not stay on a valve stem. Seems the better mousetrap for tire gauges has not been found yet but I'm still adding to the collection. Best was an old time service station one with the big metal valve and "eye" that showed the pressure inside as the indicator moved up and down. You really could run over it with a truck and it still worked.

Just added the Jasco and it's good for the shop if you like .5 psi increment readings. Pretty much BS for .1 psi accuracy but a real winner with the hose and valve stem attachment design. Sometimes I'm the Gerbil in the corner of the tool cage. If money was poop I'd be in the fertilizer business? That's a pet joke, or not.

Richard "What was that tire pressure again?" Snipes

·
Registered
885 Posts
well..... after all my hemming and hawing about the JACO inflators, I went on Facebook the other day (Facebook seems to know what web sites you have visited) and lo and behold there was an ad for 15% off, one day only; sooooo I ordered the $35+ analog inflator for $30+.

I guess they know how to get to me... we shall see what it looks like when I get it...
Bill

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Yep, the 15% tipped me over too, right after Christmas. Quite honestly, so far, I like the gauge for use with the shop air compressor. Amazing how many types of tires I have around besides the Solstice. The hardest part of assembling the gauge, for me, was installing the supplied air hose connector to the gauge with the supplied sealing tape. There's a shrink wrapped outer cover on the little spool of tape that looks just like the tape. Post how it performs for you, please.

Richard

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
well..... after all my hemming and hawing about the JACO inflators, I went on Facebook the other day (Facebook seems to know what web sites you have visited) and lo and behold there was an ad for 15% off, one day only; sooooo I ordered the $35+ analog inflator for $30+.

I guess they know how to get to me... we shall see what it looks like when I get it...
Bill
Your browser typically stores "cookies" on your computer that keep a history of where you have visited. If you search using Google they track a CRAP load of information on your browsing history. That's why you see ads pop up on websites showing things that you've looked at recently.

A friend and colleague and I were discussing this when I'd ordered something from Northern Tool. A week later I received an e-mail with a discount for the item . . . AFTER I'd bought it. We then played around trying to see if we could "trick" their algorithm into sending a discount on something we wanted to buy. Visit the website every couple of days, view the same item, but didn't buy it. Never got that one to "trip" a coupon for us - but I wouldn't say I quit trying!

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Your browser typically stores "cookies" on your computer that keep a history of where you have visited. .......
A couple of years ago someone replied to a video link that someone had posted here, commenting on the questionable nature of the suggested videos that displayed after the posted one ended. He was obviously unaware that YouTube's suggestions were based on his viewing history, and not that of whoever posted the original link.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts