Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice in the Toronto pics that they're still showing at least one Solstice with Goodyear Eagle performance tires on it (F1's?), and others with RS-A's.

Could this possibly mean a tire option? Think maybe upgraded wheel finishes will come with upgraded tires as well? As it stands, I'm ready to just go with the base wheels and save the $$, but if a wheel upgrade would include performance tires (often less expensive than all-season tires at tirerack, at least) I'd go for it.

Thoughts?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I haven't seen any indication that there will be optional tires, but I have always thought it was wierd that they were not going to put any dedicated summer tires on the car. It would certainly make sense to have them available!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Maybe they got the RS-A to do most of what they were looking for? It states on the Pontiac website "0.90 g of lateral acceleration" as a feature, that's pretty darn sticky.

Or maybe they do have a summer tire but it comes with the "super model"?

Or maybe their research had some impact to sales when they advertize "summer only"? I know that happened with the Vibe GT - lots of folks were surprised (including a friend of mine) when the first snows came and they found out they bought the car with "hi performance summer-only" tires.

It's only 20-30000 vehicles? "Back-to-basics, low cost" and increased complexity tend to be somewhat negatively correlated...

I guess I can think of a few reasons why there's no optional tire.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solsticeman said:
I guess I can think of a few reasons why there's no optional tire.
But if there's no optional tire, then why show it with the high performance summer rubber? Sure, it's more sexy that way, but also a bit of a tease if they don't deliver the goods. I'm gonna be left with blue:( :( if they don't at least make the F1's an option!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK4U said:
But if there's no optional tire, then why show it with the high performance summer rubber? Sure, it's more sexy that way, ...
Welcome to the world of marketing spin. If you want to show the car, put the absolute, koolest looking shoes on it...

...never mind that they might not be the same ones as the production car will have, nobody pays attention to tires.... :).

You answered it - it's more sexy that way. If you look at all the show cars making the rounds now, you'll notice that they have RS-A's on them.

And YOU're the only one who's noticed enough to post about it so far...:lol:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solsticeman said:
If you look at all the show cars making the rounds now, you'll notice that they have RS-A's on them.
Not so. In fact, that's the reason I started this thread in the first place. The one showing in Toronto right now has the hi-perf tires on it... but then again, don't the Canucks still have the concept car and specs on their GM website? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
There's now so many pics I can't keep track of which one is which.

The show car that was shown in the 04 NAIAS had the Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, remnicient of the 'gatorback' tires that came originally on my Beretta GTZ back in early 90's.

I think that grey car is still around and still making rounds. I'm certain the black one at the 05 NAIAS had RS-A's on them (car made in the plant?). The Sky, however, had the GSD3's.

I also saw that the car on the Pontiac Website (which the color 'chops I made were based upon) had what appeared to be a third tire, maybe the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2? It doesn't look like the Corvette tire I had seen and it isn't exacly the GSD3 either.

The other cars that were made "in the assembly plant" and used in various shows have had mostly RS-A's on them.

So, to the marketing folks, apparently they think that nobody pays attention and it just matters what "looks kool". I can't imagine any non-summer capability on the GSD3's, though it looks like they do very well in the dry and rain (from the tire rack and some european magazine evaluations).

It would be nice for Pontiac not to promise one thing and give us another. If it has all season tires standard, show them on the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much will tires cost?

About how much will replacement tires run on for the Solstice? One thing I've heard about corvette owners is that the cost of rubber can tear them up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
that seems high? The toyos on my toy are $105 or less, is that due to size/low profile? Heck, people over there say that's too high! The MSM runs 205/40R-17 toyos, is it the amount of rubber?

·
Registered
180 Posts
RODEO said:
that seems high? The toyos on my toy are $105 or less, is that due to size/low profile? Heck, people over there say that's too high! The MSM runs 205/40R-17 toyos, is it the amount of rubber?
I also checked tirerack earlier. Its just the wide size, tall rim, and low profile. Most of the tires that were worth a damn were right around 200 bux a piece. It is crazy that the solstice is running some fat tread, 245/45-18 I believe, or is it 40?

·
4,592 Posts
Jus2shy said:
I also checked tirerack earlier. Its just the wide size, tall rim, and low profile. Most of the tires that were worth a damn were right around 200 bux a piece. It is crazy that the solstice is running some fat tread, 245/45-18 I believe, or is it 40?
clarify please. i get the wider size, what is the "tall" rim and low profile, the toyos are low profile, the Sol won't have low profile, correct? I'm guessing I misread your statement more than anything.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Jus2shy said:
45 aspect ratio. Can be found to be accurate in the Technical FAQ.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Not so. In fact, that's the reason I started this thread in the first place. The one showing in Toronto right now has the hi-perf tires on it... but then again, don't the Canucks still have the concept car and specs on their GM website? :lol:
Remember that the one at CIAS is numbered 1/1000 so its been around for a LONG time, long before anyone took a mule out onto a track to determine optimum tire and handling specs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
RODEO said:
clarify please. i get the wider size, what is the "tall" rim and low profile, the toyos are low profile, the Sol won't have low profile, correct? I'm guessing I misread your statement more than anything.
The 17" wheels on your MSM are the current "in" size with enough volume to support decent prices. Stepping up to 18" or bigger is much more expensive, hence why I've never understood this choice as standard on a 'back to basics' roadster.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Why 18"?

'Cause "this one goes to eleven". They look "kool", man! (with a 'k').

Bigger is better, isn't it? That's always the answer for automotive designers...

24" on the Caddy sixteen, I'm sure 30" are only a few years away 'fore you see them on a concept car, if not for GM then for one of the car companies.

Just like the AFBTS's.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
chenslee said:
Feeling guilty when the black stripes start showing up is the last think I want in my life. $200 a tire is $66 a month on the "smoke'em if you got'em" plan. Squeezing out that last .05 g's is just not in my "back to basics" paradigm.

Hankooks in 40 aspect ratio can be had for a bill.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2454018/
Yeah, but they're 45, not 40 on the Solstice.
http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2454518/
Which changes the price drastically.

Also the RS-A are all season rubber. If they had wanted to give an even better lateral G value for production they would have shipped it with some really nice Summer tires. Which is perfectly fine for me here in FL, but the rest of the country would have been pissed.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
...If they had wanted to give an even better lateral G value for production they would have shipped it with some really nice Summer tires...
What, ought point nine skidpad not enough for you? :)

On all-weather rubber?:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts