Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my springs the other night...I took off my rear passenger side wheel and found this...

The other side is fine as well as the fronts. Would anyone know why this is happening? Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ever had the liner out for other mods? There isn't much to adjust in the rear well-liners, but it's possible something may be slightly out of alignment after a reinstall if you ever had it out. It certainly looks to be more than just one bad bump on the right rear. My guess would be the suspension travel is outside it's parameters rather than the wheel well sitting too low.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your insight. I do road race my sol. It must have happened during an event. Because if I look at my rear wheels on the car, both sidea look to be the same distance from the wheel well.

Is it possible that my car is not square? How do I find that out? Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imaj I had the same thing (same wheel) happen on my coupe. I took it back to the dealer and they installed a new liner. It appears to have been a poorly installed wheel liner according to the dealer. The new one looks great with much better clearance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank you for your insight. I do road race my sol. It must have happened during an event. Because if I look at my rear wheels on the car, both sidea look to be the same distance from the wheel well.

Is it possible that my car is not square? How do I find that out? Thanks!
Two weeks ago I had my car at the dealer and had them check the same thing (I could hear a rubbing sound at times), they said it was rubbing and did a realign on the right rear tire. It was covered under warranty.

To me that whole inner fender liner looked different, like it was shaped different for something in that area.

Jim

·
Registered
236 Posts
To me that whole inner fender liner looked different, like it was shaped different for something in that area.

Jim
Yes. The finder liner was shaped for what looked like something square was to be behind it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes. The finder liner was shaped for what looked like something square was to be behind it.
D'oh -:huh: you mean square like the Monsoon speaker behind the passenger; thats got to be what it is.

Until you posted I had never even thought about that being what it could be.

Jim

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your feedback. gpc2008, can you share the name of the dealership that did the changeout of your wheel well? The dealership that has my car, is saying they do not know of a newer wheel well. Thank you sir!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. gpc2008, can you share the name of the dealership that did the changeout of your wheel well? The dealership that has my car, is saying they do not know of a newer wheel well. Thank you sir!
When he said "New" I think he just meant a new liner, not a newer designed liner. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
When he said "New" I think he just meant a new liner, not a newer designed liner. ;)
Imaj, Silver Ghost got it right. What they indicated to me is the original wheel well liner was incorrectly installed. Personally the original looked more like it was overheated or had been miss shaped during the forming process. The first time I noticed the rubbing sound was after a long (very) high speed run. Still being under warranty they replaced it with no cost. The dealership which I bought the car from and does all the maintenance is FREEMAN BUICK GMC in Grapevine, TX. I might add that this dealership is top notch. But, then again I've bought five vehicles from them and I think that might count somehow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Monsoon

D'oh -:huh: you mean square like the Monsoon speaker behind the passenger; thats got to be what it is.

Until you posted I had never even thought about that being what it could be.

Jim
Exactly! I apparently have this exact "issue" with my new member of the family - 07 GXP with a Monsoon sound system. I too have the passenger-side wheel well liner definitely a different shape with a factory-looking notch that makes clearance on the wheel very narrow in that spot.
Can anyone confirm that the Monsoon sub-woofer necessitates this different whee well liner? :nerd:

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Monsoon sub-woofer necessitates this different whee well liner? :nerd:
I can confirm that it's nothing to do with Monsoon per se, since ALL cars - Monsoon or not - have the same 'knock out' in the back wall. So I would assume that all cars have the same right rear fender shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Roger that. Very strange that we don't hear more about it since it IS awfully clos already, anyone getting a bigger wheel/tire/lowering setup would definitely run into this issue.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,186 Posts
Rear wheel well liners have a triangular piece at the rear that can rub on the tire. An easy fix is to draw this piece tighter by drilling a small hole in the narrow portion of the triangle piece then insert a Christmas tree pin.

I had to do this on my 06.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts