Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I use 303 on the tires.

But the other stuff ? :dunno:

on the honey comb, you are going to have to be real careful with anything so that it ends up looking even/good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tire shine

Good morning all,

Can / should I use my spray can of tire shine on the plastic wheel wells on ont5he plastic rear fascia honeycomb ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLUuiMnlhc0&t=800s

What is your opinion ?
Here is a very good product for tires that I have also used on all the plastic including the rear facia. It is water based. https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Protectant-Attracting-Conditioner-Automotive/dp/B003VSATBI/ref=sr_1_31?crid=17SP0U86X1R7N&keywords=tire+shine&qid=1553950720&s=gateway&sprefix=tire+shine,aps,164&sr=8-31

Follow is with this: https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Wash-Wax-Aircraft-Guaranteed/dp/B003TH3FXK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=11AMU3GTX2HL4&keywords=aero+cosmetics&qid=1553950971&s=gateway&sprefix=aero+cos,aps,160&sr=8-3

I don't particularly like the petroleum based products. 303 is a good product line also. I use this brand to clean and waterproof my convertible top.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
I've used Stoner More Shine for years it gives the rubber a nice clean look not plasticky like a lot I've seen and does not fly off all over the car it comes in an aerosol can spray it on and that's it no need to wipe off . As for the wheel wheels I do mine a couple of times a year inner and outer with this stuff of course I make sure everything is clean my thought being right or wrong it will keep the liner a bit more pliable because we all know how these things tend to crack .As for the rear fascia I suppose you can do it but to me wiping out the honeycombs which a lot of these products require is a waste of time I just keep mine clean with a soft brush when I wash my car .

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Also - I used "Tuf Shine" on the tires last year. Still look good this year. It takes a lot of prep to make sure your tires are ready for it, but it basically "bonds" to the tire surface. I like the fact that it keeps them looking deep black but not glossy/greasy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just read that any tire shine coming from an aerosol container is bad for tires. It makes sense that the proppellant will attack rubber. I also read that CASTOR OIL is a great product for tires. Any experience?

·
Super Moderator
6,492 Posts
I have no experience with anything that makes tired shiny, because I don't like the look.

Regarding your typo, you can edit your post to correct it. Click the triple dot symbol at the right of the line with the post number and how long ago it was posted. Select "Edit", make your changes, and click "Save" at the bottom of the edit window.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I used to used black undercoat spray paint when my Mustang was entered in a car show. I would spray the wheel wells and the underbody of the trunk and differential every time I entered a car show with it. Then I when I arrived at the show, a heavy coat of tire shine to make the wheel wells shine....I would spray on and leave it. The tires however I would spray and gently wipe it away just to give them a bit of luster.

Then Turtle Wax came out with a product called Tire Black. It was similar to a paint. The more coats you used, the shinier the tire. You had to apply it with rubber gloves or your hands were black for weeks. I used it on my Solstice 3 years ago, and only apply it once every summer to give them a slight luster. They clean up really easy, once around the tire with a soapy rag, hose off....done. When I found they had discontinued, I bought 3 packages...still have 2...LOL. I use it on my Charger too every spring. If I'm cleaning up my Sol (it usually never sees rain unless I'm on a cruise), I do put it in the wheel wells to keep them black.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I just read that any tire shine coming from an aerosol container is bad for tires. It makes sense that the proppellant will attack rubber. I also read that CASTOR OIL is a great product for tires. Any experience?
Not necessarily ANY tire shine from a can, but anything with petroleum products can slowly degrade rubber if enough of it is in contact with it for a long enough time. My personal opinion, based upon the amounts involved, is that your tires will survive just fine if you clean off the old stuff before re-applying.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I use Armourall tire shine on tires and wheel wells. works great. Leaves everything nice and black but doesn't leave the really shiny look. I prefer the matt black surface

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use armorall tire shine aerosol. It’s cheap and doesn’t wash off very easily. Usually last 3-4 weeks of daily driving on the wheel wells. A good spray of the hose knocks 99% of the stuff off that actually sticks. I don’t put anything on the rear fascia.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I don't have the stock rear fascia but spray the wheelhouse liners all the time, have done it for years. There are lots of products out there but I use PoorBoys Natural Look and they always look like new.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use Armor All Gel.....comes in a Orange bottle...lasts quite a few weeks and it's THICK so there's very little run off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts