Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is it me or am I the only one who's sick and tired of having the sol compared to a miata. I mean, understanding that this is no super car ok, but the styling and design far exceed any miata ever built. I look at the z4, boxster, 350Z, etc. and compared to those, the sol blows them out of the water (for looks) Once the turbo comes out miata shouldn't even be in our vocabulary. As for me i wouldn't even think of comparing the two right now. :cool:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
JonzeOnSolstice said:
So, is it me or am I the only one who's sick and tired of having the sol compared to a miata. I mean, understanding that this is no super car ok, but the styling and design far exceed any miata ever built. I look at the z4, boxster, 350Z, etc. and compared to those, the sol blows them out of the water (for looks) Once the turbo comes out miata shouldn't even be in our vocabulary. As for me i wouldn't even think of comparing the two right now. :cool:
exceeds any miata ever built? That is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, most Sol v Miata comparisons are based on performance. Looks is to subjective, it really can't be a measure of comparison.

As for power, that is quantitative, thus it's natural to draw comparisons of roadsters of like performance. I'd get used to it, that's my advice.

As for the turbo Sol, it's only speculative what performance it will have. And, we can only speculate what a NC MX-5 could produce in performance.

For now, the MX-5 and Sol is apples and apples for comaprison purposes. The MS MX-5 and SOL GXP will be oranges and oranges for comparison sake.

Again, looks are subjective, and performance is an obvious point of comparison for such like vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
JonzeOnSolstice said:
So, is it me or am I the only one who's sick and tired of having the sol compared to a miata.

If you would prefer a comparisons to an H3 thats OK with me. :devil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Group competition by engine size/HP

Base Solstice, competition = MX-5, Z4 2.5i (higher class in price)

Turbo Solstice, competition = ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I can only see limited comparisons on performance. Solstice is in a completely different and higher league when it comes to styling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
That's a sweet Alfa. Kinda reinforces the point. The Miata looks tired. It was a great pioneering vehicle. That Alfa, though, is a thrilling thing to look at (at least from that one angle). Like the Solstice.

No problems with the natural comparisons between the Miata and the Sol. They're direct competitors. Worthy competitors, one will win on some points, one on others. To me, a roadster wins or loses on two basic attributes, performance and style. Solstice wins the style point hands down. In fact, it's so beautiful it can compete with that Alfa and many other roadsters costing multiples of what the Sol will cost us.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
LBJay said:
If you would prefer a comparisons to an H3 thats OK with me. :devil:

Why not, both are underpowered and overweight.....

J/K, couldn't resist, hope I don't get my troll *ss banned for that one :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
240ZRX7MiataSol said:
That's a sweet Alfa. Kinda reinforces the point. The Miata looks tired. It was a great pioneering vehicle. That Alfa, though, is a thrilling thing to look at (at least from that one angle). Like the Solstice.
I thought the pics demonstated a resemblance to the Solstice, especially from the read angle. Not sure if I like the hawkish nose, but still a very appealing car and Ive always had a soft spot for Spiders/Spyders. Im guessing it would be prohibitively expensive for me too. I guess I'll have to settle for whatever attention the Solstice gets...if i ever get it. sigh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
I have no trouble with the comparison. I own a Miata and I will soon own a Solstice (if it ever gets delivered). I think after the newness of the Sosltice wears off I will be able to make a good comparison between the two vehicles in my own mind. I personally think the Solstice will come out ahead in most categories but I'm certain the Miata will win a few also. The two cars should be a good match for each other. To compare the Solstice with anything that doesn't wear a Mazda badge really isn't fair nor justified in my humble opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Drex said:
Alfa Romero is coming in supposely coming in '07. (http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/events/pebble_beach/8c_spider/2908.html) So we could add the Spyder to the compare list.
Dang nabbit Drex...How'd I fall asleep and miss this??? No doubt it will cost three times as much but it is NICE looking! Maybe in '07 we'll see a big mag do an all out roadster shootout, Alfa, Porche, BMW, Turbo Sol, MX-whatever. Things are finally getting interesting in the automotive world.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I have no trouble with the comparison. I own a Miata and I will soon own a Solstice (if it ever gets delivered). I think after the newness of the Sosltice wears off I will be able to make a good comparison between the two vehicles in my own mind. I personally think the Solstice will come out ahead in most categories but I'm certain the Miata will win a few also. The two cars should be a good match for each other. To compare the Solstice with anything that doesn't wear a Mazda badge really isn't fair nor justified in my humble opinion.

I'll bet the more familiar you become the more difficulty you'll have explaining the reasons that you really love a lotta things about each (not both if you get my drift). I would love to get to know the two (I'm still not sure which flavor of miata) cars that well. Make it three, lets slip the Alfa into the mix. (I'll start saving now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
From the rear quarter that Alfa looks an awful lot like a Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
RODEO said:
Why not, both are underpowered and overweight.....

J/K, couldn't resist, hope I don't get my troll *ss banned for that one :lol:

Man you are going to have to learn the art of being subtle ... or self defense. ;)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Drex said:
Alfa Romero is coming in supposely coming in '07. (http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/events/pebble_beach/8c_spider/2908.html) So we could add the Spyder to the compare list.
Beautiful car.

However, I think it is significant that GM has provided us with 2 cars of similar beauty at a fraction of the cost required to purchase, operate and repair the Alfa Romeo. Squint and the Alfa looks like a more rounded Saturn Sky with a bit more droop to the nose. In other words, for $25,000 you can have an American sports car that is nearly as beautiful as a classic Alfa Romeo.

How cool is that? Who would have thought this only 5 years ago? :eek:

It is like having your cake and eating it to.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top