Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, there has been some tire discussion on here already and I am not rehashing that I hope. What I would like is your opinions;

I really like the tire tread pattern that was used on the concept. I believe I recall someone identifying them as a Bridgestone tire. Well here is my question... How much extra should I pay my dealer to swap the brand new delivery tires off my Sol with these replacements? Assuming comparable tire retail cost? i.e. what "penalty fee" or labor charge?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Concept tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

The tires on the concept vehicle, and early examples of the production vehicle were Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. You can find them at the TireRack to view them in more detail: link to: TireRack Eagle F1 GS-D3

But in the exact replacement size for the Solstice, 245/40YR18, you'll pay about $225 per tire or a whopping $1003 with Road hazard warranty before tax and shipping. Add tax at about $72, shipping $49, mounting and balancing at about $40 and you're up at $1164.

Since it's an unusual size NOT shared by other GM platforms, don't expect the dealer to give you anything for the old tires. You could try EBAY to dispose of them....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my 2001 Miata. I must say that this tire is excellent. The rain performance is nearly as good as the dry, without giving up anything to other tires tossed around by the Miata-ites (Toyo Proxes, Falken Azenis). I'm going to run the stock tires out, but will be replacing them with F1 GS-D3s.

Tony

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Do as you will, but I plan on looking into a set of chrome rims down the road and will get new tires then. Will keep the stock rims/tires for the unlikely event of a future sale or trade.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But in the exact replacement size for the Solstice, 245/40YR18, you'll pay about $225 per tire or a whopping $1003 with Road hazard warranty before tax and shipping. Add tax at about $72, shipping $49, mounting and balancing at about $40 and you're up at $1164.

Actually the stock tire is a 245/45/18

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
kiljoy said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my 2001 Miata. I must say that this tire is excellent. The rain performance is nearly as good as the dry, without giving up anything to other tires tossed around by the Miata-ites (Toyo Proxes, Falken Azenis). I'm going to run the stock tires out, but will be replacing them with F1 GS-D3s.

Tony
:thumbs: I've had the same experience, in fact, I haven't found a tire that does so well in wet and dry conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
245/45/18 costs "Price Each: $178."

That would make it $712 for just the 4 tires.

Which is amasingly cheaper then the stock tires at tirerack.com "Price: $196."

·
Registered
275 Posts
brentil said:
245/45/18 costs "Price Each: $178."

That would make it $712 for just the 4 tires.

Which is amasingly cheaper then the stock tires at tirerack.com "Price: $196."
i noticed that too. i thought it was a typo. i guess they will soon be receiving a lot of orders huh

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s are the replacement tires being discussed but what is the model # of the standard tires?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Personally, i will be going with either Pirelli P-Zero Nero, or BFG G-Force Sport...i find them both to be superior to any michelin, firestone, or goodyear tire ive ever tried...they both provide great wet/dry traction, and the BFG's have looooong life..ive had a set on my S2000 for 35000 miles, and they still have about 1/3 the tread left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts