Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Forget any discussion about what brand or type of tire to buy. That is well coverd in several threads. Here's what I want to know. OK. So I buy tires online. I know about Tire Rack and finding a local installer.

But, why ( and I admit to ignorance here), why can't a guy buy the tires, take the wheels of one at a time, take them to the jacklag used tire place, and have them mount and balance each tire, one at a time? Think motorcycles here. That is where I am coming from. In fact, I just sold one of my bikes today to buy new tires for Wilmington. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You could print out your cost from TireRack and take that to your local Discount Tire. They will match the price then mount & balance as many tires as you want.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could print out your cost from TireRack and take that to your local Discount Tire. They will match the price then mount & balance as many tires as you want.
First, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate that. I should have said more. A place like that always wants to throw in the free alignment check that winds up not being free, etc, etc...I'm a simple kind of guy and don't like the hard sell, or rather I don't like having to refute it.

Plus, I do not care. I do not trust any of these guys jacking my car up. If you go in there and show them the jacking points diagram they act like you are insulting their intelligence, which of course you are, but I just do not want the hassle. Who knows what kind of wrench they'll leave in the wrong place or whatever. Does that make sense? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Took a set of 4 OEM wheels, and 4 tires from flEabay and put them in the SUV. Took them to DiscountTire and asked them to mount/balance them. Hundred bucks out the door, no problemo. Don't trust any outfit to raise these cars properly either. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Answer: second set of wheels. I have summer wheels and winter wheels. When one set needs changing, onto the trailer to be mounted and balanced. Yeah, I have a hitch, for a small utility trailer, too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought new tires at Tire Barn, they gave me the best deal for the tires I wanted, this included balancing. I took my tires off myself and took all four in at once. In and out in about forty minutes.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
I did exactly this when I got my new tires & for the same reasons. Jacked the car up, took all four wheels off and transported them and new tires to local Merchants Tire. Got them to mount n balance and took them home. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
But, why ( and I admit to ignorance here), why can't a guy buy the tires, take the wheels of one at a time, take them to the jacklag used tire place, and have them mount and balance each tire, one at a time?

No reason you couldn't. I bought my Dunlop Star Specs at Tire Rack, drove the up to the tire place and dropped them off, turned around and returned with my new SSRs. They mounted and balanced all four and I just swapped them out for my stock wheels (and one tire for emergencies).

Just stacked everything on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I did exactly this when I got my new tires & for the same reasons. Jacked the car up, took all four wheels off and transported them and new tires to local Merchants Tire. Got them to mount n balance and took them home. No issues whatsoever.
:agree: no reason you couldn't do exactly this if you don't want to bring in the car for fear of damage.

I can also confirm that Discount will match any price you find, at least they did for me, then ordered for me and called me when everything came in. Unfortunately (and this is where you would be interested omw41), they had this one kid helping the other guy dismount old tires, mount balance new tires and put them on my truck (tires are 37" and about 100lbs ea. AND 8 lug). So the kid is on the last tire and of course instead of hand threading evidently he got a little overzeoulous with the air gun and in the process cross threaded a lug nut tight enough to actually strip the stud out on the backside of the hub/rotor assembly.

I took the vehicle as is to a mechanics shop (discount said to bring the receipt for the repair and they would pay). $432 later the shop was able to remove my brand new wheel without damaging it. However the hub was ruined).

So long story, if they can mess up Bronco they certainly can find a way to do damage to a little Solstice so I wouldn't bring the car in either. I will continue to do business with Discount for the truck however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts