Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Some more info would be helpful : Do you have a budget ,are you looking for OEM size ,summer performance tire or all season , are you located in a part of the country where it snows and if so do you drive in it ? I have Dunlop Sport Maxxs on my car and when I need new tires I will replace them with the same they perform well , are quiet , and the few times I got caught in the rain I had no problems but they are a summer only performance tire and my car is stored from November till May I live in Northeast Ohio .

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Michelin Premier is the successor to the MXV4, which is a quiet, smooth running touring tire. I have the MXV4 on my NA and really like them, so I will probably go to the Premier when they are due for replacement.

That said, Sting Ya asks good questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stingya for the questions. Yes due to living in the Northeast, Pittsburgh, car only driven April to October. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Do some research on tirerack.com.
I selected Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my AZ car but selected Continental ExtremeContact Sports for OH because of higher wet performance.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I selected Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my AZ car but selected Continental ExtremeContact Sports for OH because of higher wet performance.
Either of those are excellent, although I think you'll find the Tire Rack ratings identical for wet performance. The OP has yet to indicate if he is a sporting driver (the type that would buy this sort of tire) or a regular touring driver that just wants smooth ride and quiet tires.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Looking further, RIKEN RAPTOR ZR A/S looks like a great buy. $97 for an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire.

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Either of those are excellent, although I think you'll find the Tire Rack ratings identical for wet performance. The OP has yet to indicate if he is a sporting driver (the type that would buy this sort of tire) or a regular touring driver that just wants smooth ride and quiet tires.
The OP also has not indicated whether the car is NA or Turbo. PSS are overkill for an NA.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
PSS are overkill for an NA.
An NA can still corner and brake hard. But as you say, WO has not said what type of driving he does. Smooth and quiet sounds like he needs a touring tire.

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
An NA can still corner and brake hard. But as you say, WO has not said what type of driving he does. Smooth and quiet sounds like he needs a touring tire.
Yes, it can (check my signature). The NA wears the XMV4 and the RL PSS AS3+ both seem appropriate to the available engine power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car is NA, used for touring only in warm weather and barely in the rain. OEM tires are good but as on other vehicles I got did not go the distance and wore early and according to a dealer they're not the same as if you bought them to replace the originals. So thanks for all for the questions, suggestions and advice. Sorry didn't get back to the post sooner. But a great discussion.

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
the car is NA, used for touring only in warm weather and barely in the rain. OEM tires are good but as on other vehicles I got did not go the distance and wore early and according to a dealer they're not the same as if you bought them to replace the originals. So thanks for all for the questions, suggestions and advice. Sorry didn't get back to the post sooner. But a great discussion.
The RS-As that came on the NAs were fun dry-road tires. I really enjoyed the very stable drift that I could get with them at reasonably fun speeds. Unfortunately they were really really bad in the wet.

Do not replace your tires with the OEM RS-As (assuming they are even still available). You may "barely" drive in the rain, but it only takes getting caught out once.

Honestly, with your criterion, I expect you will be happy with just about any tire you choose. I think it would take an awfully awful tire to overcome the chassis for fair-weather touring.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I agree with JohnWR. The Michelin MXV4s are a good touring tire. I have them on my N/A too. I have over 30k miles on them and there's still a lot of tread left. I'll probably wind up replacing them due to age rather than wear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what is the opinion for age of a tire? normal touring and car driven low miles? say 2-3000 /year.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It's not a mileage thing, it is an age thing. Your tires can 'age out' just sitting on the car outside (I believe they last a bit longer in dark, dry storage).

I think 10 years is the usual guideline, so by the end of next year every Solstice should be on newer tires (the OEM tires hardened in only 5 years to the point where I noticed it and I replaced mine with only 12,000 miles on them).

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
I have heard 10 years as the hard limit, to as little a 6 from some sources.
If safety is your only concern you are probably good at 10 or until you see cracking, whichever is sooner.
If performance is your primary concern you will know without looking at a calendar.

Keep in mind too that it is the age of the tire, and not how long it has been on the car. Check all the date codes, they could be different.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
And when you buy new tires, inspect them for manufacture date and reject them if they are more than a year or so old. No point paying for new tires made 3 years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts