Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still running on original tires? I read recently that regardless of wear and tread, you need to replace the tires after X years, solely because of age. Now I know most of us treat our cars with TLC so if I have my car garaged all the time, it is not exposed to a lot of inclement weather, including sun exposure. I'm pretty sure that the age factor probably plays mainly for daily drivers.

What does everyone think on this? Replace tires just because they are over ten years old or do you feel safe running on the original tires?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
What does everyone think on this? Replace tires just because they are over ten years old or do you feel safe running on the original tires?
Are you going to gamble your life and/or well being on the tires not aging out?

Yes, tires do get old, they get brittle, they dry rot from the inside out. Some tires are better than others, but who is to know. I'd rather change my tires as they get older than take a chance on them blowing out.

YMMV

:dunno:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you going to gamble your life and/or well being on the tires not aging out? Yes, tires do get old, they get brittle, they dry rot from the inside out. Some tires are better than others, but who is to know. I'd rather change my tires as they get older than take a chance on them blowing out.
I agree. I see visible cracks along the sidewall of tires on vehicles due to dry rot and cringe. There is a code on every tire that states the week and year the tire was manufactured. I'd suggest never buying a "new" tire that wasn't manufactured within 6 months of your purchase. Personally, I'd also replace any tire regardless of wear between 4 and 5 years old.

To me, it just makes good sense. Be safe (as much as possible).

·
Super Moderator
15,941 Posts
While tires can be degraded by sun exposure, the damage is really a result of outgassing the volatile components that keep the tires flexible and the glue that retains the tread.

The aging process is basically time not just sun exposure.

As Dave said, you and those you may put at risk by driving on aged tires are a lot more expensive than a set of new tires.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I've never changed tires due to age. Then again, everything I've owned up until buying the Solstice sees enough miles to replace them due to mileage rather than age.

·
Super Moderator
15,941 Posts
LOL CW, you are not helping with this guy. I just want to know where he lives so I can make sure I stay away until his tires fail and the inevitable happens. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
I've never changed tires due to age. Then again, everything I've owned up until buying the Solstice sees enough miles to replace them due to mileage rather than age.
Same here.

Next spring the '07 will be the first, as those tires are now 7 years old.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
LOL CW, you are not helping with this guy. I just want to know where he lives so I can make sure I stay away until his tires fail and the inevitable happens. :)
Well, I should clarify that the Solstice had "newish" tires on it when I bought it in '12. They were replaced last year though they still had "sufficient" tread on it.

I agree fully with your assessment that tires do age with time, not just mileage/wear.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You don't really like those tires do you? I bought my 2008 GXP in 2013 and ran the originals for a year before changing them out. What a difference. I personally think the originals are junk and now yours are old junk.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes...just asking a question. I'm guessing that everyone who responded in the negative also ditches any product past its expiry date?

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
Yikes...just asking a question. I'm guessing that everyone who responded in the negative also ditches any product past its expiry date?
Only those where exceeding the expiry date has been demonstrated to noticeably reduce performance or to be potentially fatal. Like tires.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Well THAT response is a little confusing. You asked a question. A number answered. So you're complaining that everyone answered in the negative? Huh?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,193 Posts
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You asked a question, you got answers. This is a safety issue, on which people have varying opinions.

:dunno:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts