Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GXP and need tires i would like to step up in size on standard wheels what would you suggest -brand and size? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
I have a 2008 GXP and need tires i would like to step up in size on standard wheels what would you suggest -brand and size? Thanks
What do you mean by "step up in size"? And what is your reason? The end result you desire will have a lot to do with what tires are best for you.

You might also want to search the multitude of tire threads that already exist to see what has previously been discussed, since every possible facet of tire size and performance has already been pretty much beaten to death here.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
In what weather conditions do you drive ?

What tires do you have now and what do you like / dislike about them?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I use run flats. I like the added security of not having to stop if I have a flat (which is rare these days). I didn't like the firmer ride but on good advice, I increased the air pressure to about 32psi to lift the thick sidewall off the road slightly. It made a vast improvement in the ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went with stock size and have been very pleased with these tires....almost 5 k on them since new. Great handling in wet and dry, corners very well, road noise minimal and look great on the car.

Yokohama YK740 GTX | Discount Tire - of course you can use any tire dealer, I just have a DT close and as a consistent customer they do me right.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I have the firestone firehawk indy 500 tires on factory size. I don't drive at all during winter, and they feel really good on the ride and the cornering is impressive. Admittedly I haven't driven it in the rain, so I can't say anything about wet performance. I would put the very same tires on my sol again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use run flats. I like the added security of not having to stop if I have a flat (which is rare these days). I didn't like the firmer ride but on good advice, I increased the air pressure to about 32psi to lift the thick sidewall off the road slightly. It made a vast improvement in the ride.
Wait, are runflats so stiff/hard that when inflated to 32psi they actually get softer by lifting the sidewall off the road? Definitely hard tyres. I dunno about the US, but they are expensive as hell over here in Brazil, and limited availability on sizes.

I had this crazy idea of putting an uninflated space-saver tyre behind the passenger seat for travelling. Have to check if the missus would still feel comfortable inside.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
[...]
I had this crazy idea of putting an uninflated space-saver tyre behind the passenger seat for travelling.
[...]
And a jack. And a lug wrench. And you'd still need to leave enough room to put the full-size flat tyre/wheel in the spare's place once you've swapped 'em.

But, no worries--you'll still have room for a (small) travel mug. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Wait, are runflats so stiff/hard that when inflated to 32psi they actually get softer by lifting the sidewall off the road? Definitely hard tyres. I dunno about the US, but they are expensive as hell over here in Brazil, and limited availability on sizes.

I had this crazy idea of putting an uninflated space-saver tyre behind the passenger seat for travelling. Have to check if the missus would still feel comfortable inside.
Yes and yes. They are expensive and they do ride better (imho) if the air pressure is increased. When my tire guy suggested this, I was sceptical as well but the ride did improve.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
And a jack. And a lug wrench. And you'd still need to leave enough room to put the full-size flat tyre/wheel in the spare's place once you've swapped 'em.

You are absolutely right! In my delorean I had a space saver spare. fortunately, I never had to use it. I did try to put one rear tire in the car once and it would not go in. Not in the trunk, which was to shallow, and not inside the cabin at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Jack and wrench can fit inside the spare steelie. Some space could be gained by leaving the compressor at home.

As for the flat tyre... leave either it or the missus behind 🤣

Or, get one of those hideous (sorry if anyone has one) luggage racks... I find them ugly but they have a sort of a MGB 'vintage' vibe.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Has the OP responded as to what he wants???

·
Registered
44 Posts
I upgraded to Eagle Sport when I replaced mine. Just a little better in all. Most important was cold weather performance. The RSA tires meant spinning the tires at 40 degrees and below. The Sport keep their grip in the cold.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought four of the GENERAL GMAX AS03 in our standard size. I am delighted with them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts