Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of tires would fare well on a vehicle like the solstice? I wonder if using runflats would save weight/space, but at what cost. I want to see what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Some discussion on this already.

I personally would not use runflats - they are heavy, harsh, hard riding, and generally only come in summer-only tread.

Run-flats do not save weight - the combined increase in weight for all four tires as run-flats is equivalent to a spare tire and jack. The solstice has no spare tire, so you can just add about 5#/wheel or about 20-25# extra. And because of the lack of spare, you won't save any space either.

I've also heard, but have not been able to confirm, that the loading of a run-flat into the rim can increase the chance of damage.

The solstice comes equipped with (if all info is correct) Eagle RS-A P245/45R18 tires, and the max lat is somewhere near 0.90 g according to the car & driver article.

What's wrong with those to start? You get some winter driving, should be reasonably responsive, and should be ok in light snow.

If you're looking for improved handling, I'd move up in the same size tire (can be found in tire rack) to the Eagle GS-D3 (available as a P245/45R18), has no winter capability but I've heard that it has excellent wet and terriffic dry traction and handling.

I suppose there are a few Continential Ultra-hi perf tires of same size, but I've heard mixed results with conti's. Michelins are very expensive, but if you've got the jack - go 4 it.

If you are looking for better performance, you may want to look for a 17" wheel, 8" wide, and run something like a P225/45 or P235/40,45, or even a /50.

Remember, though, the engineer (or engineers) at GM have tuned this car with the given tire - changing drastically from that tire may have unintended consequences.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What about snowtires? I always run my cars year round and have been pleased with my Miata with Blizzaks. I assume that I would be able to go minus 1 sizing and get some sort of snow tire. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
palmer said:
What about snowtires? I always run my cars year round and have been pleased with my Miata with Blizzaks. I assume that I would be able to go minus 1 sizing and get some sort of snow tire. Does anyone know for sure?
A minue 1 size snow tire would be ideal for the Solstice as 18's are going to be a little big and wide for a snow tire to really be effective. However, it depends on whether an appropriate 17 inch wheel (meaning one with correct offset to fit in the fender) will fit over the brake hardware. We'll have to wait and see just how big the binders are on the final Solstice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
solsticeman said:
The solstice comes equipped with (if all info is correct) Eagle RS-A P245/45R18 tires, and the max lat is somewhere near 0.90 g according to the car & driver article.
If the Solstice can pull a .90 with RS-A tires I can't wait to see what it can do with a real performance tire. A friend and I both had 95 Z28's his had RS-A's and mine had GS-C's. The difference was night and day the RS-A is a good tire, but I would never classify it a performance tire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the Solstice just might out handle the S2000 after all. The S2000 pulls @ .90 too, but it uses some of the stickiest tire sold on a production car to do it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Ahh, lateral G's isn't the be all end all of handling.
Yes, but at least it's a measurable value that can be used as a selling point.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Ahh, lateral G's isn't the be all end all of handling.

Hey, your going to ruin it for all the magazine racers out there! :glol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts